Over did it lifting, can't move a muscle due to soreness

Options
arizonahiker
arizonahiker Posts: 40 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
OK, let me begin by saying it is all my fault. After a 5 month lay-off due to a shoulder injury I went back to the gym to start a 4 day split lifting routine. I tried to simply pick up where I left off and now I am walking around like a T-Rex because I cannot lower or straighten my arms. Besides rest any suggestions would be appreciated, and once again I know it's my fault.

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Not much you can do but do some very light cardio or maybe light swimming to loosen everything up. Try waiting 4-5 days and see how you feel. You can return to your past schedule BUT maybe do 1 exercise per bodypart and really lower the weights. Then slowly work up to where you were before
  • arizonahiker
    Options
    Thank you, I will try that
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Trex_Hates_Pushups_T_SHIRT_black_midnight_swatch.jpg

Rest, heal up like already stated. Start off light for your next workout, work back into it. You'll not be able to lift where you were.

I've been sick for two weeks, I'm down 15% on my upper body lifts.
  • arizonahiker
    Options
    Appreciate it guys, Love the T-Rex sign :)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Doms. Google it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    water- foam rolling- gentle movement.

getting back in the gym on your regularly scheduled- alibiet dialed back- routine.

do things.

rest.

do more things

rest.

do the things again

rest.

and pop some profen.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Crom chuckles.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You're experiencing DOMS right now. Luckily you should be able to perform your workout next week without experiencing it again. ;) work your way back into things!!

Use R.I.C.E. during the first 24 hours after intensive exercise may help. After that period though you're pretty much just going to wait it out.

As others have stated some light cardio may help get the blood flowing but it's really a time game at this point.

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

Good luck!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Advil, hot bath/shower, and rest.

When you start up again, make sure you stretch and do a decent warm-up. Then start gentle: lower weights, smaller number of reps. It'll take a few weeks and you'll be basically back where you were.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    WATER! Drink water, pop some IB profen and I agree with light cardio to break up that lactic acid!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You could try:

hot bath
    massage
    ice pack
    light activity
    rest
    walking

I mean none of it will work but you could try it. :smiley:
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt bath
  • JoRocka
    Options
    You could try:

hot bath
    massage
    ice pack
    light activity
    rest
    walking

that means I can try some reefer too right? that would help? or at least I could try??!?!?!
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You could try:

hot bath
    massage
    ice pack
    light activity
    rest
    walking

that means I can try some reefer too right? that would help? or at least I could try??!?!?!

That would probably work. But your local shop could recommend which exact mix would work best. Oh wait, not all states have legal recreational use. Nevermind.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I think it is here in Jersey- for medical purposes. which I don't qualify for. <kicks rocks>
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think it is here in Jersey- for medical purposes. which I don't qualify for. <kicks rocks>

Yeah, Colorado is a little more free wheeling and dealing. But I bet it would cure DOMS pretty well.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I'm dealing with a decent load of DOMS today. chest, legs, arms, everything except abs. Going to hit an arm workout today to warm everything up, because that's how you resolve DOMS, you make those muscles fear you.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Tried and true for me: Peppermint, Wintergreen, Clove & Helichrysum essential oils. You can get a similar blend made especially for muscle soreness. A few drops of olive oil, a few drops of each of these eo's and prepare to be surprised at the all-natural. ;)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Essential oils don't do a fig of good for DOMS. Placebo effect.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You could try:

hot bath
    massage
    ice pack
    light activity
    rest
    walking

I do live in the Evergreen state. Hmm.... :) That stuff is not for me though.