NET Calories

Options
Ok so I started this in febuary. And I have lost about 15lbs. Well I wat eating 1200 calories then and exercising so my NET Calories would be low like between 200-600 most days.

I was told this last week that you are supposed to keep you NET Calories about 1200 or you body is in starvation mode. So this week I have started to exercise less and up my diet so my NET had been between 1200-1400.

And I have also been TOM for 3 days now.

This morning I weighed in and I have gained 3lbs. But I dont know if that is bloating and waterweight or if it is this diet. I have noticed thatwith eating more calories I am always hungry, where when I wan eating less and exercising I wasn't as hungry.

So my main question is if you eat your exercise calories and what your NET Calories are most days.

Replies

• NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    First off, do you use a HR monitor. I have noticed that is many people's problem, they overestimate the calories they are burning, and eat them back then that causes them to be over eating.... just a thought

But to answer your question I try most days to eat a net calorie intake of 1200. I have been losing fairly consistently while doing this.
  • chrystal559
    chrystal559 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    First off, do you use a HR monitor. I have noticed that is many people's problem, they overestimate the calories they are burning, and eat them back then that causes them to be over eating.... just a thought

But to answer your question I try most days to eat a net calorie intake of 1200. I have been losing fairly consistently while doing this.

No I don't have a heart rate monitor. I need to get one but don't have the money.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I do eat at least some of my exercise calories to keep my net calories to at least 1200. I have lost 21 pounds in 3 months more than my goal of 1 pound per week.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Your sodium yesterday was quite high. Likely between TOM and that, you have some water retention.

To gain 3 lbs of fat, you'd have to have eaten 11500 over maintenance cals. So no, you haven't gained 3 lbs of fat.

You have enough to lose that starvation mode isn't going to be an issue for you for a while. However, not eating enough can still cause your metabolism to slow. So netting between 1200-1400 is a good starting point.

Just remember that it takes the body time to adjust when you change your habits. Food and exercise alter hormone levels - and hormones are what influence weight loss. So you need to look at overall trends, not just day to day, or even week to week, changes.

The scale isn't all that reliable. Here's a great thread on why...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/160943-why-the-scale-lies

So make sure you're using other tools as well, like taking measurements and how your clothes fit, etc. :wink:
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I eat all my exercise calories back usually. I think I'm gonna stop though. I need to eat a lot less :/
  • chrystal559
    Options
    Congrats on your loss
  • chrystal559
    Options
    Your sodium yesterday was quite high. Likely between TOM and that, you have some water retention.

To gain 3 lbs of fat, you'd have to have eaten 11500 over maintenance cals. So no, you haven't gained 3 lbs of fat.

You have enough to lose that starvation mode isn't going to be an issue for you for a while. However, not eating enough can still cause your metabolism to slow. So netting between 1200-1400 is a good starting point.

Just remember that it takes the body time to adjust when you change your habits. Food and exercise alter hormone levels - and hormones are what influence weight loss. So you need to look at overall trends, not just day to day, or even week to week, changes.

So make sure you're using other tools as well, like taking measurements and how your clothes fit, etc. :wink:

Thanks that makes me feel a little bit better. It was just a little discouraging this morning... I know yesterday was high on sodium.. I am trying to cut meat out of my diet and I am still trying to find alternative protien without all the sodium and I was bad and had taco bell yesterday. But I have been making sure to drink lots of water.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

Thanks that makes me feel a little bit better. It was just a little discouraging this morning... I know yesterday was high on sodium.. I am trying to cut meat out of my diet and I am still trying to find alternative protien without all the sodium and I was bad and had taco bell yesterday. But I have been making sure to drink lots of water.

*Note: typo - 10500 extra, not 11500... Must be naptime :tongue:

Have you tried Quinoa? It's a good grain with decent protein. Might check out some of the vegan threads to find good ideas for non-meat protein. (Can't help too much there, I love my meat lol) Keep working, you're making good progress. It's a learning process. :wink:
  • chrystal559
    Options

*Note: typo - 10500 extra, not 11500... Must be naptime :tongue:

Have you tried Quinoa? It's a good grain with decent protein. Might check out some of the vegan threads to find good ideas for non-meat protein. (Can't help too much there, I love my meat lol) Keep working, you're making good progress. It's a learning process. :wink:

I haven't tried it yet but I will get some when I get paid... thanks :smile:
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough, chrystal. We weigh about the same and MFP gives me 1810 cals a day plus my exercise cals. No wonder your hungry! Listen to your body. Eat more. I know it's hard to fathom that eating more can help you lose, but if you don't fuel your body then your going to lose muscle mass instead of fat and feel crappy. I am losing slowly, but it's coming off and it's in a way that I can live with for the rest of my life, not something extreme. Here's a link for you that I thought was very informative. I was told it was posted by one of the founders of MFP. Check it out. :~) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • chrystal559
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough, chrystal. We weigh about the same and MFP gives me 1810 cals a day plus my exercise cals. No wonder your hungry! Listen to your body. Eat more. I know it's hard to fathom that eating more can help you lose, but if you don't fuel your body then your going to lose muscle mass instead of fat and feel crappy. I am losing slowly, but it's coming off and it's in a way that I can live with for the rest of my life, not something extreme. Here's a link for you that I thought was very informative. I was told it was posted by one of the founders of MFP. Check it out. :~) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

MFP gives me 1610 calories per day. But I have been trying to stay away from meat, procesed foods and fats... I have been eating alot of fruits and veggies and whole grains and fish... so to me it is hard to get in my calories most days.
  • MSamaniego
    Options
    for me....i am less hungry on days when i balance food and exercise. thats just me. i am no exercise, but your body may have gained weight because its just accomodating to a different nutrition. and youre right...your net calories shouldnt be 200-400. i dont know enough about nutrition...but i think this is your body just trying ot hold onto any calories it can because it just got done thinking it was starving. you can probably get more accurate information online. this is just a theory i have. my brother and cousins have been doing alot of working out and nutritional researching and the best results always come from a balanced diet and adequate exercise. your body burns X amount of calories per day just to function. This "x" value is based upon your lifestyle and what you currently weigh. The MFP app calculates that data for you and based upon the kind of goal you want (in terms of weight loss) it will tell you how much calories you should consume based on weight, lifestyle, and goals. I am a sedentary person...thats my lifestyle. I spend most of my day at a desk with my only exercises typically being the walks I take on break and some exercise i get at home from videos. Now all that was just informational. tidbits i have obtained from different sources. Next tidbit, something i just found out...you know those paper plates that are sectioned on in 3? theres one big section and 2 small sections...check this out. the big section should be your fruit and vegetables, the 2 small sections should be protein and grain. thats your balanced meal. let me tell you...my whole life the big section has been protein and the other two small sections are starch. lol. in any case, you really need to balance the amount of calories youre consuming with the exercise you are doing. and the net...shouldnt be less than 1000. youre body still need enough calories to function.
  • chrystal559
    Options
    for me....i am less hungry on days when i balance food and exercise. thats just me. i am no exercise, but your body may have gained weight because its just accomodating to a different nutrition. and youre right...your net calories shouldnt be 200-400. i dont know enough about nutrition...but i think this is your body just trying ot hold onto any calories it can because it just got done thinking it was starving. you can probably get more accurate information online. this is just a theory i have. my brother and cousins have been doing alot of working out and nutritional researching and the best results always come from a balanced diet and adequate exercise. your body burns X amount of calories per day just to function. This "x" value is based upon your lifestyle and what you currently weigh. The MFP app calculates that data for you and based upon the kind of goal you want (in terms of weight loss) it will tell you how much calories you should consume based on weight, lifestyle, and goals. I am a sedentary person...thats my lifestyle. I spend most of my day at a desk with my only exercises typically being the walks I take on break and some exercise i get at home from videos. Now all that was just informational. tidbits i have obtained from different sources. Next tidbit, something i just found out...you know those paper plates that are sectioned on in 3? theres one big section and 2 small sections...check this out. the big section should be your fruit and vegetables, the 2 small sections should be protein and grain. thats your balanced meal. let me tell you...my whole life the big section has been protein and the other two small sections are starch. lol. in any case, you really need to balance the amount of calories youre consuming with the exercise you are doing. and the net...shouldnt be less than 1000. youre body still need enough calories to function.

Thanks Monica

I this what you said about the plates. that is a good idea, ?I need to get me some of those.. lol I know what you mean I was the same way with what I ate.
    But now I eat a salad with like every meal.

I am going to work on eating more veggies and fruits. it isnt hard for me because I love fruits and veggies.