ideas for cottage cheese?

Options

Replies

• shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I use 'dry' cottage cheese or 'dry curd' - it's really low in sodium (regular cottage cheese is usually quite high) and dry cottage cheese is higher in protein too. Comparing 1% cottage cheese and the dry one is about the same in calories too.

Anyways, I bake with mine - I put into muffins and/or pancakes to up the protein. I use many of the ideas already posted too. Love cottage cheese. It's so filling too.
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese with egg whites and toast, but I think I saw 'vegetarian' in there, so no go, but I'll leave it there in case someone hadn't thought of that. It's also really great with plain granola and some pineapple chunks!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Sriracha sauce adds a rather different dimension to it.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    v_woolf wrote: »

I'm also totally obsessed with this casserole right now: http://whatscookinwithmary.blogspot.ca/2012/09/moms-spinach-casserole.html

I make it with one cup (uncooked) rice. Divided into 6 portions, it's 24 grams of protein and ~370 calories per portion.

Thank you for the link to this recipe! It sounds really yummy. Might toss some garlic in with the spinach! Do you use regular rice or minute rice?

• Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    v_woolf wrote: »
    This page has a lot of great ideas and has helped me: http://www.stumptuous.com/the-cottage-cheese-page

Thanks for the link to a great variety of C.C. recipes!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese with egg whites and toast, but I think I saw 'vegetarian' in there, so no go, but I'll leave it there in case someone hadn't thought of that. It's also really great with plain granola and some pineapple chunks!
    Agree on granola!!

Cottage cheese with granola is good, :)
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese! I'm a savory fan, so I add cracked pepper, sea salt, and sometimes a bit of celery seed. However, this thread is giving me ideas... I'm going to try black olives. Diced tomatoes or cucumber sound pretty good as well. I also think sunflower seeds might be good! Thanks, all!
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    my fav is just plain and simple: cottage cheese and raspberries or pineapple :)
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I add dill to it. Very yummy.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    A few nights ago I put some cinnamon, 2 packets of splenda, and a pack of those 100 calories cinnamon almonds in a bowl of 2 servings of cottage-cheese. Was amazeballz!
  • biorobotics
    biorobotics Posts: 38
    edited November 2014
    Options
    i didn't think about using it as replacement for ricotta, that's a great idea!
    i have it on toast, or eggs on toast, not sure about both…
    with cucumbers, maybe in a pita?
    i'm trying to gain weight, so no low-cal stuff. :blush:
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the water/sauce in Cottage Cheese so I buy the dry curds. Same great protein, 0 sodium, 0% fat. I then add coconut milk or chocolate soy milk where I can control the added sodium/fat.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    buffing up my protein, so cottage cheese has become a daily staple. i usually mix it with berries, or just cinnamon or cocoa, or flavoured greek yogurt. what are some exciting ways i can use cottage cheese, maybe as something other than for breakfast?

A couple things I like, drain it, toss it into a food choppah for a few spins, add in orange zest, a little brown sugar, and powdered ginger.

Roll into a crepe like a burrito. sautee the crepe until nicely browned, and flame with a little rum.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good mixed with beans, mixed with eggs, used in lasagne or manicotti, mixed in tomato-based sauces, mixed with fruit (if I mix with berries, I usually smush up a few berries so the juice sweetens the cottage cheese), mixed with tuna, mixed with pickled beets, mixed with avocado, etc.

Tried this for the first time last week. Really good. Cut an apple into small chunks. microwave for 1 minute. Mix cooked apple into cottage cheese (as much as desired) add cinnamon, your choice of sweetener (I used cottage cheese with pineapple so I didn't add any sweetener), vanilla, cinnamon, raisins, chopped pecans or walnuts. Put in fridge overnight and eat the next day.

fzq5y2w8a513.jpg
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Sriracha sauce adds a rather different dimension to it.

That's my favorite, too. But, I only buy the no-salt-added cottage cheese and then add it myself or else the sodium level is through the roof!
  • dewaltfan
    dewaltfan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love adding diced avocado and Sriracha to it, great snack or side dish for a meal.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I love my cottage cheese savory so a bit of Sriracha on top is a go-to for me. I also love cottage cheese on top of a baked potato with some salt and pepper.
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    On top of a halved grapefruit with a little sprinkle of brown sugar!
  • sophzhr
    sophzhr Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Cheese on toast. Nuff said.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Add to spaghetti sauce, it gives your spaghetti a lasanga taste.