Good food choices on a budget?

Options
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good things to eat if you are trying to get healthier/lose weight that don't cost a fortune? I've got about $25-30 a week to spend on food and am not sure how to spend it. I've been buying peanut butter, oatmeal, noodles/rice, carrots, apples, yogurt, salad, and frozen vegetables. I get eggs, beef, and pork for free. Is that stuff okay, or could I be making better choices?

Replies

• mhealy815
    mhealy815 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started, but I think as long as you don't eat too many per weeks, eggs should be good. Low cal, high protein, and filling! Also not too bad for sodium.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm on a tight budget and that is a lot like my list. I find sliced deli turkey is reasonable. Though it can be up to $6 for 1 pound, I get 1/2 pound and only put 2 ounces in my sandwich, so it makes it affordable. So, always weigh the options based on servings too. I found that eating within my calories (instead of over indulging) and not eating out as much that eating healthier is more affordable than you think.

I shop the weekly ad and that helps me get a variety of fruits/veggies each week or be able to stock up on frozen/steam veggies. I also look for coupons on sites like coupons.com but only use ones for things I know I'll eat or already plan on buying.

When chicken goes on sale I buy extra and freeze. Sometimes I can get split chicken breasts for .99/lb.

And, it depends on what processed foods you eat (especially with sodium levels), because right now Progresso soups around here are .88 and one can (about 2 servings) of light soup is 200 or less (for the whole can) and very filling. And, frequently during the winter it's usually affordable to get the ingredients to make your own healthy soups in the crockpot. Then freeze in serving sizes for later.

But, yeah, try to stock up on the staples when or if you can like the peanut butter (just picked up 2 jars last week for .99 each), rice, frozen veggies etc.

Well, that's my world anyway...hope it helps you.
  • morgiee_lynne
    morgiee_lynne Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Eggs can be eaten all day everyday I don't understand why people think differently. They contain good fats and are super high in lean protein. I would try to add some chicken in, because red meat isn't always the best to eat when trying to loose weight. What cut is it though?

Cottage cheese is very high in protein too, and can be made either savory or sweet so that's always a good option. By salad do you mean lettuce? Because it is probably cheaper to buy a head of lettuce, an onion and a pepper, than to buy prepackaged salads.

But it seems like you are making pretty smart choices as it is. Keep it up!
  • nattw
    nattw Posts: 1
    Options
    Buy lots of kidney beans!!! High in protein and yummy, and if you want something quick and to go try making bean burgers out of them. You can also try quinoa burgers (though quinoa is a bit expensive). For the bean burgers all you need are kidney beans (like a hugs can is 2.00 the most), some flour, spices and herbs, water, and I believe oil. There are some great tutorials on Youtube for how to make them.

Also greek yogurt is inexpensive && great too lots of protein!!

I think what your buying is great it's just for me personally stuff like that doesn;t fill my appetite (trust me I know) so I would suggest putting stuff like that with some yummy protein.

Also a super veggie is Kale at my market you can get a bunch (huge stock) for only 2 bucks and you can steam it, make it with a stir fry, have it raw with a salad, and a bunch (stock) is only 33 calories so if you were eating a cup it would be less that 10 calories (if your trying to count).

Hope this helps!!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    In general, food that is less convenient costs less than food that is more convenient.

So the whole chicken with bones still in will be more cost-effective than the individually-wrapped packaged boneless chicken breasts. It means you gotta do some work to cut, clean and prepare the meat when you get home. But your dollars will stretch further.

Fruits and veggies -- buy in-season, and also go for the larger quantities instead of the individually pre-cut servings.

Whole grains are cheap when bought in bulk. Brown rice, lentils, beans, peas... you can get lots for very little, and store them in airtight jars.

Clip coupons. If you have the time, price-compare at different grocery stores. Check out your local discount stores for good grocery deals.

Your budget is seriously not that tight given that you're getting meat and eggs for free. $100-$120/month for everything is very doable. I was eating on $150/month all-in (including meats) for years, and that's here in Canada where our prices are higher for everything. It's doable!
  • giamegan
    Options
    eating eggs is my favroite thing, when trying to get back some health, they are very well and filling, as low calo and high in the protein count.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I consume a lot of frozen vegetables and tend to go with the ones that come in a steamable bag but I know the stores I shop at are constantly running specials on frozen vegetables. Whenever I see a good deal (4 for $4 is normal for the steamable packages), I grab as many as I can squeeze into my freezer. They will last for a looong time.

I would assume that bulk packages of frozen vegetables are even better deals but I like the convenience of steamables (less dish washing and quicker to make), so I don't often shop for "normal" frozen vegetables.

Another option is to get some Ziploc microwave cooking bags, buy bulk frozen vegetables and steam them yourself.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    also… don't know if you have an Aldi store near you. Amazing savings on fresh and frozen vegetables, fruits, and oats. I'd say 30 to 40%. You can get so much more for your money on fresh food. You are doing great. good luck.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    look at things that can be adabtable so things like chicken you can make a soup out of bones, veg can be more than 1 meal and fruit and things like that so utilise the food as best you can. sounds like your doing fine for what you listed. cottage cheese is a fav of mine low fat high protein low cal can be put in chicken as a filling can be sweet or savoury
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    In terms of healthiness per dollar, it is hard to beat a sack of potatoes.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    In terms of healthiness per dollar, it is hard to beat a sack of potatoes.

I was going to suggest this as well. ;)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I think your list sounds pretty good as it is. It is wonderful that you can get your proteins for free! Other things to consider, for variety's sake would be many some potatoes (yummy vitamins and potassium), dried beans (cheap, easy to make in a crock pot) and maybe rotate in some other grains (quinoa, couscous, etc.--you should be able to find these in the "bulk" section for about the same price as oatmeal) if you're prone to getting bored from just oatmeal.
  • JoyceMccormack1958
    Options
    Sounds like you're making lots of good choices. I've really slashed my grocery bill this year, like another poster said; if you can prepare as much of your own food as possible you will really save. I make all our bread, I don't knead it and can have a batch of dough ready to leave in the fridge when I leave for work. I always buy whole chickens and try not to throw anything out. Veggies go in soups or curries, or I roast them and freeze them for later- roasted root soup is wonderful. Bulk meat out with dried lentils and cooked dried beans help to extend more expensive protein. Fruit if I can't use it before it starts going too soft, I'll cook and or freeze. Tonight I made a baked banana custard to use up some soft fruit. Jack Monroe, a British blogger has got some recipes that are worth checking out. It sounds like you're coping well. Do more, save more is now my way of life.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you guys are on that tight a budget for food, you probably qualify for food stamps. In most states, individidual food stamp allowances for low-income people aim at providing at least $40/week. It's worth sitting through the process of applying.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This may sound silly, but check out the bulk food bins at your local organic grocery store. If you have a meal plan and don't mind weighing the items, you can buy exact quantities. I buy things like lentils this way. It also allows you to buy more expensive ingredients in exactly the quantity that you need. You might not want to splurge on a box of specialty nuts or dried fruit or what-not, but buying an ounce for a recipe might be affordable and allow you to feel less restricted and keep you from getting bored. That's what I do anyway- it also allows me to have the freshest ingredients each week. Also check out ethnic grocery stores for exotic spices- you can sometimes get a whole bag of spice for the same price as a small jar in a grocery store.

I would also second the tip about buying potatoes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'd swap that peanut butter out for things that are healthier and more filling, but that's very much what I'd buy (well, I'd get cottage cheese instead of yogurt, but that's because yogurt makes me gag.)

Food isn't cheap anymore, that's for sure!
  • giamegan
    Options
    giamegan wrote: »
    eating eggs is my favroite thing, when trying to get back some health, they are very well and filling, as low calo and high in the protein count. 200 calorie meals
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Try a farmers market. You can often get great prices on very fresh fruits and vegetables that just aren't as aesthetically pleasing... Lopsided and such.
  • shellecollins
    shellecollins Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Not so pro tip, frozen fruit (once thawed) as well as veggies taste the same as fresh!!
  • MoeHameed
    MoeHameed Posts: 260 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I found eating at home and healthy food is a lot cheaper than going out everyday and eating fast food. Buy only what you need and spend the bulk of your money on protein sources first! Cottage cheese, eggs, beans and the list goes on.
    Edit: Look for farmers market.