Good food choices on a budget?

Options
2»

Replies

• shellecollins
    shellecollins Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oh, also frozen meals! I buy groceries on Friday, and prepare the meals for the week and stick them all inn freezer bag. Once I'm ready I throw it in a crockpot and have yummy homemade food when I get home from work!!
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    In terms of healthiness per dollar, it is hard to beat a sack of potatoes.

This. Potatoes are great for you if you don't add a bunch of other stuff to it and are very filling. Frozen vegetables in the family size bags are a huge bang for your buck. You already have meat covered but nothing beats a bag of flash frozen skinless boneless Chicken breast that you can get pretty cheap. I've seen them as low as $7.00 on sale for a 5lb bag.
  • NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Sounds like good choices to me. As long as you are staying on your calorie goal, everything is pretty much good. All in moderation. Yes, I eat a variety of foods and that would include some things that might not be too healthy. But it is working for me. I try to watch the fat and sodium content. And I would agree beans and potatoes are a good bang for the buck. Just my two cents worth. YMMV.
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    pinto beans! I bought a 25 lb bag for 13 dollars about 3 months ago, cook a batch once or twice a week, and still have over half the bag left! Beans are super healthy, high protein, easy to mix with other cheap food sources, and full of other nutrients!
  • mseslee
    mseslee Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I made Kale, red cabbage, and carrot salads every sunday to last me the week for lunch.

$.99-$2.00 Kale
    $1.29 bag of slice carrots
    $.99-$2.00 red cabbage.

cut it up and mix it together in a big tupperware container and there's my lunch. you can add any kind of dressing and extra veggies that you like.
  • mseslee
    mseslee Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    giamegan wrote: »
    eating eggs is my favroite thing, when trying to get back some health, they are very well and filling, as low calo and high in the protein count.

I also eat eggs all the time. I'll buy a couple of dozen and make egg muffins out of one and boil the other ones to always have hard boiled eggs as snacks available.