Any other SAHM?

Options
Am I alone here? My kids are in school now, and it's been great because it gives me plenty of time to workout, but I swear the kitchen is calling my name all the time... It was pretty easy at first but now after almost 2 years, it's getting harder and harder every day to resist! I try to keep busy but unless I'm out of the house all day (which never happens), it's just not working.

How do you all do it?

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    How about spreading out snacks throughout the day? That's what I do, some fruit, yogurts, granola bars, or even chips (but I make sure to get a serving on a plate than to be eating from the bag. Then I put the bag away and forget about it.) I pre log what I want to eat.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes but I have a 6mo and she keeps me very busy. For some reason I'm not losing much weight though, I'm having my thyroid checked :( I would maybe try making some low calorie snacks for yourself and just don't have anything bad in the house (this keeps that temptation down).
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I've been a SAHM for almost 8 years. My kids are in school full time now (2nd grade and 4th grade). I distract myself with cleaning, the internet, going out for walks, and I like to wander around the thrift stores near their school. Lately I've been doing a protein smoothie in the morning, plenty of coffee, and then carrots and a Quest bar around lunch time. By the time I'm done chewing those two things my jaw is like "screw you, I'm spent". :laugh:
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I been a stay at home mom since my son was born. So 4 years. I understand the struggle since at first eating was insanely hard to do, there wasn't ever structured meals since with a baby it's hard to do that (at least it was for me). Now I don't overeat because I have a set schedule. We sit down together to eat our meals and snacks. It makes it much easier not to mindlessly be eating because "Oh, I didn't get to have lunch because the baby needed to be fed.". That is at least what works for me. Setting times to eat and sticking to it. I also find it much easier to not snack like crazy when I sit at the table and eat instead of in front of the tv or computer. I notice I'm fuller faster than if I was watching tv.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM.
  • thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    Sahm here, also. Now that my child is older, I get SO bored.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Not a SAHM, but I work from home 4 days per week. Maybe it's because I'm engaged with work stuff most of the time that I don't visit the kitchen constantly, but I can definitely see how easy that could be... My first suggestion: don't buy the stuff you cannot resist--if it's not in the house, you can't eat it. Second: plan out your day in advance--know what will fit in your macros. Third: drink a lot of water--it keeps your hands busy, your stomach full, and trips to the bathroom distract from the kitchen. If you truly can't resist the siren song of the kitchen, go for a walk or find another hobby that takes you out of the house for a bit each day.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I stay home, but I homeschool my spawn.

I've never been a snacker, so I'm lucky in that regard. How about cutting up some veggies and prepackaging them? Like cucumbers, carrots, sugar snap peas, etc - so if you feel like snacking, grab a bag.

Also, maybe make an effort to get out of the house? Go to the bookstore, or for a walk around the block?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Oh, the way I do it is I took stock of how many times per day I need to eat and divided my cals accordingly. Turns out for me it's six. I must eat every few hours or I get a headache. So 3 snacks and 3 meals.

I started planning things all over my days so I'm just busier. I try to be home close to mealtimes and get out of the house on errands or volunteering or working out or appointments when it's not mealtime and I take snacks that work with my cal goals. That way I'm not sitting at home all day thinking about food.

Eventually my body has gotten used to this rythm and I can be home all day and not snack incessantly. I literally only get hungry at snack and mealtimes but it took some time of removing myself from the availability of the fridge and pantry for the habit to take.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Oh and one other thing that super helps me.

I pre-log my day in the AM. Meals are generally planned on Sunday, so I know what we're eating for dinner every night (unless I get lazy, of course). So I log it, and my breakfast. That way, I know exactly what I can/can't eat during the 11-4 period.
  • annehutson2
    Options
    I eat whole foods mostly. They require me to chop and cook and spend time making meals or snacks. I have found that it is a lot more work and that I would love a personal chef but it's my job and I am learning more about nutrition this way. I try to make the calories count to make me healthy and weight loss is an awesome result of that. I find that herbal tea helps me for in between meals. As I introduce more exercise into my routine I find that it allows me to have more calories and then I have to think up more food to eat to get to my calories for the day...
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but I am so glad you guys are saying it gets boring. I am a SAHM to a 15 month old and in school full time. My fiance works 16 hour days 6 days a week so I would love some free time right now! :D
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    I hate to say it but I am so glad you guys are saying it gets boring. I am a SAHM to a 15 month old and in school full time. My fiance works 16 hour days 6 days a week so I would love some free time right now! :D

Boring to a point. Now evenings are filled with homework struggles, school events, and I volunteer at the school at lot during the day as well. My kids are old enough to be helping around the house too, so that is a huge help.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I stay home, but I homeschool my spawn.

I've never been a snacker, so I'm lucky in that regard. How about cutting up some veggies and prepackaging them? Like cucumbers, carrots, sugar snap peas, etc - so if you feel like snacking, grab a bag.

Also, maybe make an effort to get out of the house? Go to the bookstore, or for a walk around the block?
    That's awesome! I'm planning to homeschool too, that should keep me nice and busy!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've been at home for 14 years- also homeschooling my dd. I can't say I was very successful all those years or I wouldn't be here.

What is helping now-
    Putting all food away in cupboards except for a giant fruit bowl.
    Logging food for the day in advance.
    Drinking water.
    Don't buy large amounts of things like candy, cookies or chips.
    Keep busy and out of the kitchen. Just going outside in the yard or to my bedroom is helpful.
    Waiting 20 minutes to an hour to eat a snack to make sure it is really hunger and not just boredom.
    Exercising every day for 30 minutes. Sometimes dd joins in, sometimes she doesn't.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's been 6 years for me, I have one in school and one at home. I get extremely bored, and food always used to be an option. These days my routine seems to limit my time available for a bit. I don't usually eat breakfast until my oldest is off to school, I give myself 30 minutes to an hour for breakfast to settle, and my meds to kick in. Then I take an hour for workout and shower. Then any errands that need to be done. Shortly after noon, the baby goes down for his nap, and I eat my lunch then. By the time he wakes up it's time to get my oldest from the bus stop, and then I make dinner. What kills me is the two hours between the kids bedtime and mine. I usually try to leave some calories for dessert, so that helps. When the cravings are making life difficult I chew really strong flavored gum, spearmint or cinnamon, and that ruins my tastebuds for a good hour or more
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM as well, but we homeschool too.
  • Cardxn
    Cardxn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I struggle with this as well. First of all you mentioned you are exercising a lot more and taking time to do that so BRAVO!
    I literally have to take it hour by hour. Remember when the kids were on a nap/feeding schedule? Do it for you also .. So eat something and then plan to not eat for another 60mins-2hrs.. Then if you are getting stuck grab a piece of gum. Looking forward to the next time you will eat in terms of minutes and hours seems to keep me focused if that makes any sense ,. I'm a 34 yr old SAHM also .. Looking for friends to support and get some support also.. I'm starting today and want to drop about 30lbs
    Thanks!

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone! I swear it used to be easier when I was a gamer, I was too busy to eat, lol!
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone! I swear it used to be easier when I was a gamer, I was too busy to eat, lol!

All caloric intake was from Mt. Dew and Bawls. Sometimes pizza if you could utilize a hand to facilitate. :laugh: