Need advice on REALLY warm running gloves

Options
I'm a fairly new runner who's trying to get the cold weather running thing figured out. I had my first run on a 36* day, which is pretty cold for Dallas. Thanks to some great advice on here, I was all set gearwise. I had a base layer, layer over that and fairly heavy running v-neck, some running tights (which as guy was re) and a hat. My core warmed up pretty quickly and everything felt great....except for my hands. I'd bought some run of the mill Nike running gloves at Dicks. By the end of a 50 minute run my finger tips were absolutely numb. It took them about 20 minutes (and a lot of pain) to warm up.

For whatever reason my fingers have always gotten cold really fast. Is there any advice on gloves I should use? Do I just for some run of the mill regular gloves and forget about running gloves? i don't care about brand or fashion....I just want something that keeps them warm for the entire run.....

Thanks in advance.....

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    When I was training in the winter a few years ago and it got REALLY cold, I would just throw on a cheap old pair of wool mittens. They were super warm and good for wiping the snot off my face ;). IMO there's no need for special running gloves.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My hands get painfully cold only when it's well below freezing (like today, high of 10F) and my core gets chilled. I don't run, but I clean my horses' paddocks every day, no matter the weather, so I am doing mild exercise outdoors and handling cold tool handles. I wear a pair of Head Digital Sport running gloves (from Costco) as a base layer and pull on a pair of ski-type mitts over them to give some insulation. If it's even colder (highs of -10F last winter), I use some disposable handwarmers (Little Hotties) inside the mitts. If not available in your sporting goods stores, you can order from Amazon. Usually, if I can keep my core warm with exercise, my hands do ok if they have enough insulation from the cold and wind.

Edited to add: mittens of any kind will keep your hands warmer than gloves because the fingers can warm each other. Use whatever keeps you comfortable.