Might go running tomorrow for 1st time in about 8 years!

Options
I used to run 4 miles 4 times a week, round the lakes by my old house. I LOVED it! Then I got a job, started smoking, put on loads of weight, and didnt do it anymore.

I am thinking of going for a jog in the morning. I am overweight, and I dont know if I can do it, but I am going to try, and won't be devastated if I end up only doing a few minutes and walking the rest of the way - obviously I need to build up my fitness levels.

The only problem is, I had a slipped disc 3 years ago, and had day surgery. My back is MUCH better now, thanks to this, physio and pilates.

Obviously losing weight will help my back, but not sure that running is a good idea.

Hey, I guess I can stop doing it if I am in pain.

Any tips for if u have a bad back?

Replies

• TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Try thecouch to 5k app. It is great for starting out or starting over. I like it a lot. It starts off slow and build up to you being able to run a 5K in 30 min over a period of weeks.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Has anyone tried this?
  • safaa23
    safaa23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try running/walking lamp posts... you will be amazed at how quickly walk 1/run 1 becomes walk one/run 2 etc and thats in your first session - then keep increasing the distances - it worked for me :smile: