HIIT- Treadmill Workout (Results?, has it worked for you?)

Options
I have been inspired to start a HIIT Treadmill workout (15 seconds sprint, 60 seconds walking)

Has anyone done this form of training? What were your results?

I'm ready to begin and would like to know any other people who has done this form of fat loss!

Replies

• Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Hi, I've just done the couch to 5 k thing and so am now just consistently running but have decided to do an interval style one next. The one I chose is called weight loss pro intervals from the apple I tunes store and it still gets you up to 10 k and over but is much better for fat loss apparently. It's like a walk run sprint thing. I'm going to see how I go. I do love an app! I think I just like instruction so I don't have to think myself. Good luck :-)
  • lilly20
    lilly20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank You So much! I'm ready! Good luck to you
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe in HIIT. It definitely works for me. However, I am not a runner; I'm a speed walker and high-incline walker, so I can't give you any specifics on your workout since you are planning on running, but the basics are the same: high intensity periods with rest periods in between. Keep track of your intervals and speeds and make sure you keep making progress. For example, if you're starting w/ 15 sec. sprints and 60 sec. walking, work up to 30 sec. and then 60 sec. sprints, but always keep your rest interval.

It does work and it has saved me tons of time! I used to waste a lot of time doing mediocre cardio.
  • TrailRunnermn
    TrailRunnermn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT but it can easily be overdone. Once you find that your power output is lagging or you can't keep increasing your power, it's time to be done with it for the day or rest longer between sprints.
  • lilly20
    lilly20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I have found that HIIT is NOT By any means easy but soooo rewarding!
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I find it hard going and can't really enjoy it in the same way that lower intensity exercise can be fun (because of endorphin release seeing you through the long haul). It is extremely efficient and powerful, however, while also being a lot healthier than long, drawn out cardio. It also stirs up quite a bit of HGH. I feel like a beast afterwards. A tired beast.
  • Edie30
    Options
    Hmmm that app I mentioned didn't work with my spotify music so I ditched that! Annoying huh!!! Interval run works with it though and I'm also having a play with runkeeper. I am so fickle with apps! Though idid stay with the couch to 5 kale the way :-)
  • Edie30
    Options
    K not kale!! But kale is good! I eat my body weight in it :-)
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I was doing hiit on treadmill for about a month and a half. I lost 5-6 pounds and tried to stay within my goal of 1300-1400 calories daily. I haven't done it in 3 weeks so I gotta get back on there! But it is fun and challenging. I worked on 3.5 mph resting pace 1min 30sec, 6-7 running @ 30 sec. For 20 minutes, not including 5 min warmup and cool down. Good luck!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I am a believer in putting the treadmill in the bin and getting on the road....
  • Edie30
    Options
    Yes I need to get on the road at some point for sure. I might do some park runs. I think it's because I started with the treadmill and love my gym so much but it's something I def need to do if I want to enter some races :-)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Treadmills aren't the best for HIIT due to the lag time. I would use a bike if you need to do it indoors or run outside.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    lilly20 wrote: »
    I have been inspired to start a HIIT Treadmill workout (15 seconds sprint, 60 seconds walking)

I owuldn't suggest a dreadmill for that cycle as you'll never actually get up to a decent speed. Shifting from 3-4mph to 10 mph won't have finished by the end of your 15 seconds.
    I'm ready to begin and would like to know any other people who has done this form of fat loss!

If your priority is fat loss then you'll get more effective results from combining longer duration CV work to improve your cardiac base with resistance training to optimise your lean mass retention.

I use hih intensity intervals to improve my running performance and VO2Max and it's been very effective, in combination with long duration moderate intensity and tempo sessions.

As upthread, you'll get more responsiveness from a spin bike or rowing machine, but in the absence of complementary CV training you won't yield the results that you could.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    I am a believer in putting the treadmill in the bin and getting on the road....

Agreed
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's hard to perform all out 15 second sprints on a treadmill. If you're going to do HIIT on a treadmill, it's probably safer and more effective to aim for longer slightly sub-maximal effort sprints.

I personally find it most effective on treadmills to perform intervals by raising both the incline and your speed, sort of like doing hill sprints. Outdoor "all out sprint intervals" are going to be more effective though b/c you can push yourself harder then you can on a treadmill.

If you want to perform "all out" intervals indoors, consider using an exercise bike.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

If your priority is fat loss then you'll get more effective results from combining longer duration CV work to improve your cardiac base with resistance training to optimise your lean mass retention.

That's not true. Sprint intervals are excellent for conditioning, and certainly better than endurance cardio. Resistance training can be performed in conjunction with either type of cardio.
  • IroncladLuke
    IroncladLuke Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    yep^
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

That's not true. Sprint intervals are excellent for conditioning, and certainly better than endurance cardio. Resistance training can be performed in conjunction with either type of cardio.

True. However, if you do both resistance training and HIIT as workouts, you should do them on the same day as they both affect your CNS in similar ways. (Stength first, then cardio.) You need at least a day in between each type of workout to recover properly, so combining them on the same day is part of the beauty of HIIT - less time in the gym. :)

• MeanderingMammal
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    That's not true. Sprint intervals are excellent for conditioning, and certainly better than endurance cardio.

In conjunction with, I'd agree. One can certainly make gains doing exclusively either, but gains are faster and more pronounced using both in conjunction, alongside threshold training as well. The three modes of CV training deliver different effects; cardiac base, improving VO2Max and raising the threshold.

I appreciate that I wasn't explicit. What I meant, in context of the discussion, was do a combination of longer duration sessions, intervals sessions and resistance training. I neglected to spell it out.

If one is going to get the most from HIIT, the ability to do a decent warm up for fifteen minutes beforehand rather helps exploit it to best effect

Also, fwiw, someone with 40lbs to lose and asking about HIIT for fat loss is more likely to develop an injury from doing sprint intervals without a basic fitness base, hence the nudge towards lower impact forms of training.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited November 2014
    Options
    double tapped