Tracking Added Sugar vs Natural Sugar on MFP

Options
I'm working on tweaking my macros, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to track sugar intake. I specifically would like to track added sugar, as reducing that is one of my goals.

I know that on MFP that sugar=sugar=sugar, but does anyone have any suggestions for separating them out in this program, or do I need to log them in a different platform?

Thanks for any insight!

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You would have to log them in a different program, but honestly it seems like an exercise in futility given that food labels do not distinguish between added vs natural sugars.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You really dont need to distinguish the 2. Your body will digest them the same so if you do want to limit your sugar intake just pay attention to total sugar
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You really dont need to distinguish the 2. Your body will digest them the same

but with different effects....
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    no. please. no. not another sugar thread.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Naley2322 wrote: »

No, not with different effects. What are you talking about?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar, there is no need to track them separately...your body doesn't treat naturally occurring sugars any differently than added sugars....and sugar is not a macro.

Unless you have some compelling reason to do so, track your actual macros and stop micro-managing your micros.
  • misswhitney1
    misswhitney1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    You would have to log them in a different program, but honestly it seems like an exercise in futility given that food labels do not distinguish between added vs natural sugars.

Ah. Yes, I did not consider that. :-/ Thank you for your insight!

• shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Naley2322 wrote: »

Lol ... no. Sugar is sugar. The effect is the same. In fact the sugar in a can of coke is the same as the sugar in a slice of bread, or a bowl of pasta.