To much Water?

Options
Okay, I cut out all other drinks and am drinking only water for the last 2 days. I average about 16 cups of water a day . The problem lies with the food now.

All the water that I am drinking is gives me the feeling of being full all the time. I struggle just eating what I did today. I am only at about 495 calories today and I am full! I know that I am risking starvation mode--but I don't know what to do...Am I drinking to much water???

Replies

• dbreun
    dbreun Posts: 3
    Options
    Try eating foods that quench your thirst and provide healthy calories. Grapes, lettuce, and celery are all good options.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Technically its not too much water----but if you are full from the water and need more calories then you need to cut back to about 100 ounces and get some more calories in ya. Try nuts---packed with good fat, calories and low carbs.
  • chasingskinny
    Options
    Trust me, you're not drinking too much water. My daily goal is to drink an ounce of water for every pound I weigh (180). That's about 23 cups. As long as you space it out over your day, it shouldn't interfere with your appetite. Water's always good for you, don't give it up!
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    way too much water. why are you drinking that much? 8 cups is all you need. and your body needs food to survive. the key to losing weight is eating but eating the right foods.
  • feliciapeters
    feliciapeters Posts: 525
    Options
    8oz may not be enough for everyone, if you sweat alot from exercise, you need extra, if you drink caffeine which dehydrates you, you need extra, if your on certain medications you may need extra

here a water calculator

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
  • Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    Remember....balance is the key to everything.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Just drink when you feel thirsty.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    way too much water. why are you drinking that much? 8 cups is all you need. and your body needs food to survive. the key to losing weight is eating but eating the right foods.

There are a lot of opionions how how much water you should drink. Some say 8- 8oz glasses, some say half your body weight in oz.... I see one poster said she is drinking all of her body weight in oz, (which is probably too much), why not count things like milk, coffee, tea, gatorade, flavored waters toward your count. I would say the general rule of thumb should be if you are peeing light yellow to clear you are getting enough. Anything darker you need more.

To the OP- technically NO, you are not getting too much water, but like somebody else said cut back a little on the water so you aren't so full and can get more calories. Choose nutrient dense, higher calorie foods that way you are getting enough calories without feeling like you are constantly eating!

* water toxicity is possible, but usually happens when you consume too much, too fast and not allowing your electrolytes to balance out. Marathon runners sometime experience this because they are sweating (out salt) and drinking water (not replenishing salt) to quench their thirst.
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options

Actually, that's the recommended minimum. From what I've read on various websites is you drink half your body weight in water... so if you weigh 200 lbs, it's recommended you drink 100oz of water to stay fully hydrated.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Actually, you CAN drink too much water. It's a condition called Water Toxicity, and it can ultimately cause death if not treated. It manifests with neurological signs (drunken appearance, circling, seizures, etc). I work in the veterinary field, and have seen it in dogs, but it happens with humans too. I'm not sure how much is too much, but it's not something you want to mess with. I'd just go with the recommmended 8 glasses a day if I were you. It's not like drinking more is going to help you.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Just drink when you feel thirsty.

By the time you are actually thirsty you are in the begining stages of dehydration.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    personally I think its way too much water now for the next part lol....are you actually thirsty or just drinking it because you think its the right thing to do and will help in speeding your weight loss and suppress your appetite...you have to ask yourself those things...if your truly that thirsty i suggest talking to your Doctor...having a thirst you cant quench has reasons behind it ..medical ones......if you drinking based on the fact its good for you etc ...I think you can cut your intake down and enjoy some food *good calories* rather than filling up on water....good luck!....in addition you said "the last 2 days" thats not very long and I think your just doing what most of us do when we decide to go forward with a plan we do it 110% and then slowly it decreases.....so I would say lets see if your still drinking that amount in like 3 weeks ....you may naturally settle into better drinking habits in time....it could be from habit if you are the type of person who always had a soda at your side ...i hope that makes sense
  • hamsmash
    hamsmash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Balance, I would drink enough water so that your voiding regularly in a straw clearish color.

too much is quite possible there is plenty of documentation on water toxicity or intoxication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

The long and short it if you dilute out all of your minerals and electrolytes they no longer can move in and out of cells especially in passive transport pumps where a high concentration to low contcentration is required if its low - low there is no movement ect ect
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am drinking to much water to the point of Water Toxicity, but it is to much that I am losing the balance with water and food. I was a big "grazer" I would munch on food all day long before; so I am trying to get out of the food grazing and into the water grazing. I guess it is just trial and error, until I find an good balance.

Thank you everyone!!!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Technically its not too much water----but if you are full from the water and need more calories then you need to cut back to about 100 ounces and get some more calories in ya. Try nuts---packed with good fat, calories and low carbs.

I agree...keep the water and eat some calorie dense foods like almonds/cashews, etc...Peanut Butter is also great...