Stevia, does it get better???

Options
2»

Replies

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I find all the "alternative" sweeteners to be just nasty tasting. I'll stick with sugar, the 33 calories added to my morning coffee are well worth it.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I find when I look at the labels of different brands of stevia that they do not all have identical ingredients. Apparently unlike aspartame etc., it's very common for manufacturers to add stabilizers or other stuff to their stevia, particularly the powdered variety. (I'm not just talking about the "baking blends" that are mixed with sugar -- I mean the individual packets for coffee sweetening too!).

So given that, I was not terribly surprised to find that there are some brands I like less than others. Surprisingly, my favorite is the house brand for my supermarket. Maybe they put less stabilizers in it or something, because it seems way sweeter. Like, when I open a packet to pour into my coffee, I immediately taste and smell the sweetness in the air, which never happens to me with other brands or other sweeteners. Like others have said, with /some/ stevia extracts at least, you need a lot less than you need of other sweeteners. I've always had a mad sweet tooth but one packet does me for my big 16 oz cups of coffee.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia in the Raw, and like it. I've been using it for just over a year now with no complaints, after figuring out how much to use.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Im not worried about the calorie side of it, but trying to go for something naturally sourced, as read so many bad things about sweeteners

There's really nothing bad about them. If you look at the studies closely, done be professionals with citations, the dosage of sweetener is out of this world stupid high... and injected into RATS.... not humans.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about the Stevia sweetener. Claims to be naturally sourced and 0 calories. So I decided to try it, but I've found that it really doesn't taste nice, it tastes artificial and leave a horrid after taste. Im deciding whether to stick with and hope I get used to the taste, or switch back to sugar. Has anyone tried it and got used to it?

It's garbage. Don't eat it.
  • Keevy333
    Keevy333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I got a sample in the mail because I was curious and considering switching from sugar to that. Glad I got a free sample cause like you, i really did not like the artificial taste of it. I just slowly cut back on my sugar in my morning coffee and accept the small amount of calories it adds to my day!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the taste of stevia, I also found that I could detect an after taste. I prefer to use xylitol as it tastes more like sugar to me, I just have to adjust for the calories as it isn't 0 calorie like some artificial sweetners.
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use truvia in my shakes and coffee. I imagine that getting used to the taste is like getting used to the taste of aspartame in diet sodas. Takes a while, but if you don't like it, don't use it.
  • kuriheartsyou
    Options
    the dosage of sweetener is out of this world stupid high... and injected into RATS.... not humans.

I'm so glad someone actually does their homework.
    If we injected that ratio of ANYTHING into our bodies, of course we'd develop cancers and illnesses.