Losing weight with autoimmune condition?

Options
I have graves and also a very compromised cortisol level. I have struggled trying to lose weight over the past several years, even when I track and exercise. BUt when I don't, I do gain weight, thus leadimg me to where I am today. I know I need to lose weight to get healthly but my body doesn't want to.

Anyone have any success with these types of conditions and if so, how?

Replies

• Cheyenelikewyoming
    Options
    I have a thyroid condition. I have to really watch my food intake. If I don't, I get fat. I take my medication like I am supposed to and exercise. I try to even forget I have it, so I don't use it as an excuse. I know that the right foods and staying active will make me feel better. I have to just stay consistent.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Hi there. :) I have Hashi's and, like Cheyenne above, I have to really, and I mean REALLY watch what I eat. I also try to eat a bit less on my "bad" days because I'm more sluggish and not moving around as much then.

I did start piling on the weight during the time my symptoms started, and was also HUNGRY (well, I'm always hungry, but...even hungrier). My very unprofessional, non-scientifically supported theory is that my body was craving energy, wasn't getting it (and wasn't able to produce it) so it was screaming for an obvious energy source: food.

I am on 88mcg Levo. I asked my doctor about natural hormones but she refused to entertain the idea. I may go back to my endo about that...not sure yet. I am finally at something of an even keel and am not sure I want to mess with that.

How often do you ladies get tested for your levels? I am supposed to go every six months, which reminds me...I'm due!
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Another hashimoto. I always feel better if I cut out gliten and diary...but I have terrible will power and then I pay for that. I get tested every 6 months but we're still trying to readjust my medication as it was increased during pregnancy
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer and have Systemic Lupus. Both were a kick-in-the-bum to get up and get moving, to take control of my health. The benefits to the SLE of activity are just about indescribable. I used to have at least two days a week where my joints hurt so bad I couldn't move. My skin looked awful, I was exhausted. I was literally dying in slow amounts every day. It was SO hard at first, the additional pain from exercise and additional exhaustion from the exertion. I got my diet right and that helped tremendously too.

I still have bad days, flare-ups. But they're far less common than they were. Being yours is a cortisol related issue, you're got that stacked against you. But I can promise you, even if you don't see the types of losses immediately that others see with diet and exercise, you're doing your body SUCH a favor by sticking with it. One day you'll wake up and see that yes, you have been making changes and your body is responding, albeit a little bit slower. Get with your doctor and make sure your levels are within tolerance, and keep close contact with them throughout your journey.