Is it safe to practically starve myself if that's my only option?

Options

Replies

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You know, I had added a very kind, well thought out, educated post, but when I realized this post was just outright bananas- yeah. It's not worth my wisdom, or anyone else's for that matter. Bless. ~pops another Halls throat drop~ Gonna be a long night, ya'll.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yep. totes safe.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Is this looking for attention? You know that starving is not your only option.

It is. I like to overreact to add a bit of shock factor because I know it'll get more responses. More responses equal more insight. I know starving isn't my only option. It is however the only "diet" I've felt content with so far.

I made this thread to get more insight and real responses on fasting. Unfortunately I did a terrible job and everything thinks I'm a nutcase.

there is a difference between fasting for health reasons, and starving yourself...
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Is this looking for attention? You know that starving is not your only option.

It is. I like to overreact to add a bit of shock factor because I know it'll get more responses. More responses equal more insight. I know starving isn't my only option. It is however the only "diet" I've felt content with so far.

I made this thread to get more insight and real responses on fasting. Unfortunately I did a terrible job and everything thinks I'm a nutcase.

Lost all respect for you with this admission. You could at least act like a grown up.
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Cookieman, I think you should read some books on Intermittent Fasting. Fasting is not dangerous if its done correctly and safely. Read what Dr Michael Mosley has to say about the 5;2 diet where you fast for 5 days and eat for 2. This leads to very effective weight loss. Or you could try alternate days fasting ie every second day. BUT PLEASE BE CAREFUL and dont damage your health, its not necessary. Just educate yourself and you will win!!!!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    what they all said if it was go and see a Dr and no it isnt safe plus you are being really unwise to put it mildly and have decided on a plan which is unsafe, unsustainable and ridiculous. You will neither stick to it and eventually crash out.

You need the help of a professional or you need to learn and understand how everyone else is slimming within the MFP guidelines. Ive just done a quick ccheck and for a 400lb man, then the maintenance calories are nearly 4000 anyway.

The reason you have only piy back on 8 to 9lb is because with the walking the overall sum is more like maintenance. I suspect you are eaing way more than the 3000 you suggest. Its probably more like 5000.

1. Go and see your Dr and et a dietician involved.
    2. If you really wnat to lose weight then you need the correct mindset and that means being prepared to follow a sustainable sensible plan. Be patient and determined.
    3. Have a look at the success forum and look at the people who have lost similar amounts to you and be inspired that it is possible.
    4. You have your life ahead of you. Don let weight ruin it. It could take you circa 2 years.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1961dublin wrote: »
    Read what Dr Michael Mosley has to say about the 5;2 diet where you fast for 5 days and eat for 2.

NO.....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Eat at a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You could eat 3000 cals a day to start and still lose weight rapidly then as your weight goes down taper down to 2000 calories. Why starve??? Makes no sense whatsoever. Oh, I know. It's easier to just not eat than to keep track of your food. Right? Yeah, been there done that. Not worth it! The little effort it takes to keep track of food is worth not being MISERABLE.

Just follow MFP recommendations! You'll be fine. Gosh you're really making a mountain out of a molehill. It's not that hard....you need to get past that "all or nothing" mentality. Just use some moderation.

You say you don't want professional help. Fine well then help yourself! Get some self control. Don't binge anymore. I can say this because I used to be the biggest binger of all! I binged myself to morbidly obese over a 10 year period. I would starve, binge. Starve, binge. Caught in an endless cycle until I finally decided I wanted OFF that ride. If you want off bad enough, you will get off! Me, the biggest binger of all learned self moderation (most of the time). You'll still have slip ups, you won't be perfect (I wasn't) but if you stick to your plan most of the time you will succeed! When I first started, I went 8 months binge free. It can be done. If you mess up, get right back on the next meal!

And I don't mean any of this in a harsh way, I am being completely sincere here. You can do this if you just believe in yourself. Tell yourself how it's going to be - and do it!
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to feel "content" with any change in habit at first. Practice some discipline. Every time you make a positive change, you will feel better and better about yourself. Try to get out of your house, develop some interests outside of the house and eating. Eat at a reasonable deficit and move more. You will never have a healthy body unless you learn to say no to yourself and do what you know is in your best interest long term. You don't have to eat the bag of grapes - you chose to. Make better choices. It isn't easy and you won't always be content, but you will be proud of your accomplishments. Ive been doing this for a year and still slip into bad habits. But I'm better than I was. I just keep trying.
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    1961dublin wrote: »
    Cookieman, I think you should read some books on Intermittent Fasting. Fasting is not dangerous if its done correctly and safely. Read what Dr Michael Mosley has to say about the 5;2 diet where you fast for 5 days and eat for 2. This leads to very effective weight loss. Or you could try alternate days fasting ie every second day. BUT PLEASE BE CAREFUL and dont damage your health, its not necessary. Just educate yourself and you will win!!!!!

Erm.. You fast for 2 days and eat normally for 5 - Not the other way around.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    I didn't mean go see a doctor for your weight, I meant go see someone who is qualified to help you with your horrible relationship with food and your body. Not being able to lose weight sound like the least of your issues.

I would rather starve myself than go talk to a health therapist about problems that I don't have. I know what my issues are. I'm very lazy so when I'm not walking I sit on my *kitten* all day, get bored, and I eat. I lose track of what I eat. It's a bad habit I've had since I was a kid since I was very sheltered and never enrolled in sports and what not.

My issues aren't mental. I recognize my problems mentally. I also know what I am and not capable of. The mental side effects of starving myself isn't what I'm worried about because well, I've done it. It's the physical side effects, the losing the hair, the failure of organs etc. It gives me alot of unnecessary stress. Stress I didn't have while I was starving myself and had no idea anything about it until I talked to one of my doctors.

Yes, your issues are mental. Denying that doesn't change things. If you want to maintain an unhealthy approach, that is your choice as someone who is an adult based on age. The mature approach would be to seek real help for the physical and mental issues you obviously face ... but that seems a bridge too far for you.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I am a psychotherapist who does CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). Insight isn't everything. In fact, most of us know when we're doing things or thinking things incorrectly - but it doesn't stop us from doing it. What YOU need therapy for is not for the insight (though I bet you would learn a lot more than you think about your thought processes) but to learn the right skills to combat the unhealthy thought and behavioural patterns that you have developed since you were young. If you refuse this help, there are resources for self-help that you can use, but it's honestly up to you to be honest in your using of them...and that's VERY tough for most people. Here's one resource that I pass on to clients to continue work post-therapy and to people on here:http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    ^Thank you for that link. I needed that this week. :-)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Please explain to me how eating only 500-1,000 calories a day is an easier option than 1,500-2,000 calories.

Maintaining your current activity level (walking 5 miles a day) and decreasing from 3k to 2k calories should be quite effective. Not to mention it would be easier and healthier than starving yourself.
    I would give you a pep talk about getting the willpower to limit the excess snacking, etc. but if you're confident you can eat as little as 500 calories a day I would imagine 2,000 shouldn't be a problem either.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    What you were doing before doesn't seem to be the problem. This is

"My weight loss was going great until the realization came to my head that not only am I weak mentally but I was also going to be an ugly blob of loose skin at the end of the day so I lost the motivation to keep going on with it"

I exercise a lot, but walking 5 miles a day is a good set of exercise. Don't see how you would be an ugly blob of loose skin
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Why starve yourself? Because it's not all coming off at once? Did you put all the weight on at once?

I agree with everyone who said you need to speak with a professional.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Here I'll make it simple...

1. No. Starving yourself is not safe.

2. Starving is not your only option. Many other options have been listed above.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    OP, I think the issue here is that you keep insisting starving is your only option, but haven't provided substantiated, well-thought out arguments for it. Do consider some of the suggestions put forth by those who have tried to help, like seeking help from professionals. Starving is not a sustainable plan/lifestyle choice in losing/keeping weight off for good. I do hope your relationship with food changes for the better, because it sounds unhealthy to me. Good luck!