5'5 and 127 pounds

Options
Hi :) im 18 years old, and weigh 127 pounds. I'm 5'5. I know I'm at a normal BMI but I would like to lose 15 pounds, which would put me at 112, also still a "normal" BMI for my height. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me I'm fine the way I am or I don't need to lose weight, just some tips and advice on how to achieve my goal :) I never workout and am honestly not very active but would like to start! I also eat a ton of carbs /: but would like to begin eating healthy. Any advice/tips is welcome & thank you in advance !

Replies

• DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight.

The fact that you mentioned that you didn't want anyone to tell you that is a pretty good indication that you know it to be true.

Color me "unhelpful" I suppose, because I'm not sorry and I won't validate you.

Oh, and carbs don't make you gain weight.

Excessive calorie intake does.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Why not do a body recomposition to get the look you want while you remain the same, healthy weight?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No, 112 would put you underweight. Bad idea.
    Actually 112 is still normal for someone who is 5'5. It's a BMI of 18.6. Underweight is a BMI less than 18.5.

malibu927 wrote: »
    Why not do a body recomposition to get the look you want while you remain the same, healthy weight?
    ^This. I think you might want body recomposition over weight loss.
  • KPeriandri
    KPeriandri Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Track your diet. You will have to cut back on some carbs but not necessarily all. You will need to be more active. What are you looking for results wise? I think simple body weight exercises would benefit you as is does for everyone. You should check out fitnessblender.com they have free workout videos you can choose from. Start with a simple full body routine, roughly 30 minutes. It takes no time at all out of your day and you will feel like a million bucks after.
    Also, I would recommend (though this is none of my business) losing your scale. Toss it! You are at a prime BMI right now. Whose to say you can't slim down a bit but gain some beautifully toned muscles? NOT HUGE. Just muscles to tone up. If you were to do that, you would measure smaller but actually weigh more! I say lose the scale, work on slimming down and gaining lean muscle. It would benefit you, for sure! Plus, you burn more calories when you gain lean muscle by lifting weights when you are sitting than if you were to not do anything at all.
    Hope this helps!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I agree with this.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit = weight loss. Simultaneously you should strength train to maintain muscle mass.
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This thread is going to end well. Why anyone would purposely want to look borderline too thin is something I could never understand. I am going to assume this person has body image issues she needs addressed. I would like to see pic of what she looks like.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Actually 112 is still normal for someone who is 5'5. It's a BMI of 18.6. Underweight is a BMI less than 18.5.

Are you really going to sit here and debate over .1?

tumblr_lz4tjd10E31rogl95o1_500.gif#laughing%20woman%20gif%20500x281

We all know that the OP probably isn't a real person but if it was, would you encourage her to lose 15 lbs?

Which is why my next sentence is about body recomposition and I never did address how to help her lose weight. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Check out a beginners lifting program and eat at a slight deficit. It's likely you'll be happy with the way your body looks before you reach 112lbs. I'm 5'6 and had a goal weight of 115, but when I added weights into the equation, was pretty content hovering around 118-120.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

(*) (*) (*)
  • shadow2soul
    edited November 2014
    Options

Are you really going to sit here and debate over .1?

tumblr_lz4tjd10E31rogl95o1_500.gif#laughing%20woman%20gif%20500x281

We all know that the OP probably isn't a real person but if it was, would you encourage her to lose 15 lbs?

Which is why my next sentence is about body recomposition and I never did address how to help her lose weight. :stuck_out_tongue:

If I felt the conversation would be worth or even interesting it I'd continue. Alas.........moving on.

Your no fun MrM, no fun at all. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    I probably should have made that original comment more clear (was a half asleep at the time), but it wasn't serious. Now that I've had my coffee, I think I should have worded it more like this:
    "But, But, it's a BMI of 18.6 and underweight is less than 18.5." ***said in a whiney girly voice***

However since I didn't, my bad. My humor gauge must be broken. Guess that makes it a good thing that I'm a SAHM and not a comedian. Carry on.

edit: Eeek, my spelling is horrible even after I've had coffee.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    18 in the post ... 21 yrs old in the profile ... hmmm. Something is amiss again on MFP.
  • girlongoing
    girlongoing Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i'm also 5'5'', close to your age (20), and I weigh about 8.5 pounds more than you and I think I look pretty good. Your current weight is actually my ultimate goal weight! I know all individuals have their own unique body type and frame, but 112 would look really thin. Start a fitness program aimed to gain muscle. It'll give you the nice tight body you're probably looking for. 112 would just leave you skinny fat most likely.