Sticking with it this time....

Options
Ok, so I have this pattern with weight loss that I usually fall into, over the past 5 years or so, lol. I eat very well and workout consistently for 2 to 3 weeks, then I have this overwhelming urge to binge, and usually fall off the wagon and it takes me FOREVER to get back on. Now, I consider myself a fairly intelligent person, and I know that usually weight loss is an experiment of trial and error, and I have definitely been "tweaking" my methods this time. For instance, I am not creating as large of a daily calorie deficit. In the past, I have tried to eat around 1600 calories a day, and I can stick with that for a while, but I get so darn hungry. Now I realize that's not realistic, and am trying to eat around 2000 calories a day (at least till I get a significant amount of weight off and need to adjust that). I'm definitely not as hungry, but I'll be damned if I STILL want to binge. What the heck?? I know there's a huge psychological aspect of eating, being overweight, and trying to lose, but I really do not want to fail this time. I also have been eating just a little more on the days that I exercise, because I know that makes me more hungry. I've also been trying to get the most nutrients-per-calorie, staying on the high end of protein and fiber intake. But again, still have this (almost uncontrollable) urge to binge. Sorry if this is a little long winded. Anyone have suggestions to stick with this long term? And please don't be mean and just say have some willpower because I think we all know it takes more than that. Just want some good constructive tips to stay on track. Thanks! :)

Replies

• kmcgallery
    kmcgallery Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm really in the same boat with you...... Here are a few things in my game plan this time:

I'm going to participate in the MFP forums regularly (the pertinent stuff, not the ego stroking & flirting threads)

Try to make a few like minded friends on MFP... some level of accountability just from checking in (not just "way to go!" posters! LOL-not trying to be mean there :D

I downloaded a pedometer that calculates calories burned on my phone- try to at least hit 10k steps/dy.

I'm going to track what I eat.... even if it's a disaster (track the binge)

I occasionally look at a photo of myself at a good weight. It motivates me knowing I've already had success once and then I'm reminded of exactly what my reward looks & feels like

I want to stack my chances for success by making small, slow, attainable adjustments... nothing showy, just slow & steady.
  • learning2serv
    Options
    I understand what you're saying. I have some success and then I just... stop. Though I've recommitted recently and am now moving forward on it, today's step was to reconnect with my favorite fit-track app, MyFitnessPal. Being the digital elephant it is, it allowed me to painstakingly remember that I was here 50 pounds ago.

Wakeup call confirmed.

For me, it's going to be really about staying connected to stay committed. I've tried this before, and several other weight loss goals. If anyone wants a fitness accountability partner, hit me up. I've got some things to turn around and this is one of them.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    dont buy anything for the house that it isn't okay to binge on.

this is why i cant buy caramel pop-corners, because they are crack and I eat the entire full size bag within a couple hours.
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This all sounds so familiar to what I do. I have great success with mfp and then I just binge and all my months of hard work is lost. I've just today started again and try to learn from my mistakes. It is difficult but I always believe that if you want it enough then you can achieve it. Even when I'm failing I know why, which is the main thing. That way you know what you need to change. Good luck to you all x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a reasonable number of calories then maybe you need to look at the other reasons why you're bingeing. most likely you're eating your feelings, so you need to find other coping mechanisms instead of food.
  • fanarad
    fanarad Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    kmcgallery wrote: »
    I'm really in the same boat with you...... Here are a few things in my game plan this time:

I'm going to track what I eat.... even if it's a disaster (track the binge)

Good call! I need to learn to do that this time around too! I have a problem sometimes with honestly tracking when it comes to portion sizes, and I know that's what's hindered my weight loss in the past. Does anyone have tips for that one?

Please add me, it would be great to have some like-minded people here too!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    drink plenty of water and log everything. Do Not Eliminate food you enjoy just watch portions. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I will go for months working out, eating clean etc. Then something sets me off and boom. I will not make it to the gym or trail for two or three months. And five/ten pounds show up on my scales. So I put the scales away- then I don't have to think about it. But I start to feel crappy and I keep telling myself go to the gym.... get off your butt. I know without question that I feel better mentally and physically when I work out but I can't seem to motivate myself. I have excuses, but I'm not fooling myself I know they're excuses. I keep saying, Monday. I'll be good starting Monday but they keep coming and going with no change. My thoughts today are, just start going to the gym- don't worry about food right now just get up and move. I thought I would log in to MFP and read some positive stories and get motivated. It's helped me before. Thank you for posting this, it's nice to know I'm not alone.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Options
    I am in the same boat too. I can find any reason (excuse) to binge: social, fed up, happy, bored, stressed. In the past I've managed to get a grip again and shed the weight, but this time, I've been gaining over the last two years and shown no signs of getting it under control. I can go a few days, then something 'comes up' or I give myself a reason to fail. I'm starting to feel like I've lost control completely.

I think logging the good and the bad (and the downright ugly) is a great idea and something I haven't done previously (another cop out - who wants to see the calories in black and white?) but will adopt straight away. Hopefully seeing exactly what I've done will shame me a bit into not repeating the cycle.