Chewing slow

Options
I tend to eat too fast and have been told many times that if you savor each bite and chew slowly you get a fuller feeling faster. This statement is very true. I've learned to slow down and the taste of food is better, I get full before I'm done eating and enjoy my meals more.

Replies

• chefchristen
    Options
    My Grandmother always nagged me about eating too fast. It takes twenty minutes for your brain to tell your stomach it's full. You can really load up on a bunch of food before the twenty minutes is up. Then you fell stuffed. It does help to slow down!
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It's true. Eating slower is smart. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to process that you are full, so if you eat fast, you could easily have seconds, maybe thirds, depending on how fast you eat. So if you eat slow, you may not even finish what is on your plate in 20 minutes. I tend to eat slower when I am eating with someone because I tend to talk during the meal!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I am going to make it a point to work on this over the next week and hope that I can get into the habit. I am most certainly a food scarfer!! Which probably accounts for my random eat-a-little-bit-of-everything-in-sight episodes some nights because after every item I eat, I still don't feel satisfied.

I'm going to give myself a period of time, TIME myself, and make sure I space my bites accordingly in order to reach the end of the 20 minute period.

We'll see how this goes. :)