Not Wanting to Let Go of Sizes

Options
Since December 2013 I have lost 70 pounds. I have joyfully gone down from size 26 now to size 16. But I find that I am emotionally attached somehow to size 18 jeans. I have had difficulty donating them and still want to wear them, even though they fall down! Has anyone else experienced this odd sense of not wanting to let go? It makes no sense. Thanks so much!

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Maybe there's a part of you that thinks you'll put the weight back on?
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I blogged about this very thing last week - Saying goodbye is hard. You'll get there with an all new wardrobe!

20757594.png
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Comfort clothes LOL

It's only recently I've started to buy 22/24 clothes, frustratingly after 106lb loss I've only dropped from a size 32/34, and I've survived in 26/28s but have had to admit defeat and go down smaller.

I have a dressing gown which is a 32, but its so lovely and warm and comforting I just pull the belt tighter and wrap it more around myself!!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I've had favorite clothes I haven't wanted to give up, but not favorite sizes, at least not on the high end. ;)

Keep the jeans for now but put them aside. Buy new jeans. I can almost guarantee that you will find new, smaller jeans you like just as much and will forget the 18s completely. But keep them forever if you just like them, just in a box!

Nice work so far!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I happily bid adieu to each size.

Some of the clothes, though, I hate to see go. They're still in good shape and they looked good on me when I fit into them.

Each size I drop, I have to say goodbye to at least one shirt I adored.

I don't miss being an 18 and am quite happy to be a 14. Twelve and ten will be even better, though.

One of these days, I'm going back to look at a size 24 (which I was busting out of when I started) and see how much bigger it is than what I'm wearing now. :)
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Don't save them! Donate them. If at some point you put the weight back on (which you won't!!!!) they will be out of style by then. But I reiterate, you won't put the weight back on. ;) Congrats on your amazing loss!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Keep one pair to remind yourself of how far you've come. (Might sound strange, but part of me wishes I had kept a pair of my largest pants...) But get rid of the rest. Don't give yourself an excuse to put the weight back on.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I happily bid adieu to each size.

Some of the clothes, though, I hate to see go. They're still in good shape and they looked good on me when I fit into them.

This is me, except that I am lucky enough that I have more clothes I love that I'm fitting back into than that I have to give up. Some of the comfortable, loved big stuff I still use for lazing around on the weekends, but jeans that are way too big, no. My weird thing (I guess) is that I am so happy to fit into some stuff I have from 2004 or so that I don't want to get rid of it even though I realize that to my current eyes it's ugly. It's just too much of a victory to be wearing it. But as I get some new stuff too, that need to hang on is going away.

Do you think it might be fear that you will regain? Or is it a size you had as an ideal for a while so it's weird to be smaller than it? I can see getting that should I get completely to my goal weight, I suppose.

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Is it the size? Or just that you liked those clothes and all the memories attached to them? If that's the case you will eventually feel that way about new clothes that end up fitting great and becoming a part of your life experiences. Maybe even more.
  • tindeyy
    tindeyy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't keep any "fat jeans." That's sort of a subtle sign to yourself that you'll slip up and need them.

Also, it might be psychological. I lost my first 15 pounds and was back to a normal weight but still felt chubby.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Yep, I still have my 24W clothes, even though I am now a size 10 (even a couple 8's). My husband asks me occasionally when I am going to bring them to Goodwill. I have had them boxed up for over a year now. I just CAN NOT bring myself to get rid of them. And yes, for me, I am secretly afraid I will regain.
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    oh you don't know how happily I got rid of my old clothes. I bought new sexier smaller clothes first :wink: go shopping! you should be thrilled!!
  • katiejriedinger
    Options
    I blogged about this very thing last week - Saying goodbye is hard. You'll get there with an all new wardrobe!

20757594.png

Will you link the blog? I'd love to read it!

• DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Tell me 'bout it!! I went from wearing size 40 pants to 34/36 in about a month in a half; but, my issue comes from being cheap, so I just wear a belt B)

Not buying any new clothes when my bigger ones have no issues (other than being too big for me)
  • katiejriedinger
    Options
    Okay, yeah, after reading the responses, I do think it's an attachment to the size/brand. They are GAP size 18. Perhaps I did idealize 18 at one point. They're in the donation bag, it's so annoying to have them falling down, I'm for sure getting rid of them. Just wondered what it was about THOSE jeans. Thanks for the input! :)
  • katiejriedinger
    Options
    Tell me 'bout it!! I went from wearing size 40 pants to 34/36 in about a month in a half; but, my issue comes from being cheap, so I just wear a belt B)

Not buying any new clothes when my bigger ones have no issues (other than being too big for me)

Thankfully, I live in a city with amazing thrift stores, so I pay around $5 for "new to me" jeans. Don't know how I'd afford weight-loss clothing otherwise! ;)

• lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Why not take those favorite jeans to a tailor and have them cut down to fit? It's easy for a professional to take in pants and skirts up to 2 sizes. Jackets and tops are harder, depending on the construction. But for $10-15 you could have a "new" pair of jeans that fit the new you! :)
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't become attached to clothing unless it's too small, then I hold it forever.

Too big clothing, not so much, but I can understand the attachment. Could you make it into a quilt?

I know people that make quilts out of baby clothes, or old clothing from deceased family members. Sometimes losing weight is like a rebirth and death all at the same time.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Donate them, or if it is something REALLY special to you, have it tailored. Or, if you or someone you know is crafty, make cool stuff out of the old clothes (bags, pillows etc.). Don't keep it around. I know what it like to have a hectic closet that reflects your various weights of the past and present, and it's best to just keep it up to date. You'll have less clutter and add new faves to your wardrobe.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I was dropping sizes, I bought most of my clothes in charity/thrift shops or cheap things at the supermarket - that way I don't mind donating them again when I drop another size, and someone else is able to transition sizes without spending a fortune.