Gym membership

Options
I'm currently a member of lifetime fitness and I absolutlely love it! However it's 20-30 minutes away from my home....they are opening a planet fitness less than 5 miles away and its only 10 bucks a month. I've been there before it has only the necessities but I figure I can go there when time is short or bad weather days to supplement my current gym. What do you all think?

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    As someone who has three gym memberships I see nothing wrong with that.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Lifetime fitness, I'm lucky that my location is 5 minutes down the road from me.

At 10 bucks a month I'd say why the heck not if you can afford it. Lifetime is pretty expensive though, if you can handle planet fitness you could always make it your main gym.

Personally, I like life time so far because it's a really nice gym and I rarely ever have to compete for the squat racks or other free weights.
  • beakers33
    Options
    I am a member of Planet Fitness. I have their black card membership for $20 a month. It allows me to have the hydromassage and also, if I'm out of town, I can use one of their gyms that are close to where ever I am!
  • Ash_danielle
    Ash_danielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Lifetime fitness, I'm lucky that my location is 5 minutes down the road from me.

At 10 bucks a month I'd say why the heck not if you can afford it. Lifetime is pretty expensive though, if you can handle planet fitness you could always make it your main gym.

Personally, I like life time so far because it's a really nice gym and I rarely ever have to compete for the squat racks or other free weights.

Oh I lovw lifetime and I don't plan to leave anytime soon BUT l live in Northeast Ohio and the winters here are horrid. It could turn a 20 minute commute to close to a hour. I just don't want to slack off this winter as I did last winter. But 10 a month it's not much to lose
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There's no way I'd do the 20 minute commute to the gym frankly... I'd be more likely to buy stuff so I can do it at home, I figure between membership cost and gas you'd break even in less than a year.... I'd totally join Planet Fitness instead.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Yes, if the money isn't an issue then I'd join just for the convenience. I'm very fortunate: my health insurance has a program where I pay $25.00 PER MONTH and can go to ANY gym in my city. Actually, it's nationwide. If I'm traveling I just go to their website and search participating gyms (which 95% of them are) and can just present the universal card issued by the program. Very handy and leaves me ZERO excuses!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is fine for $10 month.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I have not heard many good things about Planet Fitness, but for $10 I say do it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Yes if its only $10. proximity of gym is really important and makes the difference between going and nor going.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you can swing it, do it. I go to Planet Fitness and I have the black card membership. That way, I can go to the location on my way to work during the week and to the location 10 minutes from me on the weekends. It's important to have the gym close by so excuses can't be made to not go.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    what kind of exercise are you doing?
  • Ash_danielle
    Ash_danielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

I do both cardio and some strength every workout usually. And I usually try to work out 4-5 days per week
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

I do both cardio and some strength every workout usually. And I usually try to work out 4-5 days per week

for $10/mo then, i say go for it. i have heard that some PFs dont allow certain (important) lifts, but if that doesnt affect you, i'd do it to save the time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I changed my gym to the one that's a block from my office, even though it's more expensive, because I know I'm much more likely to use it. One of the best decisions I've made. (Of course, there were other reasons I was unhappy with my old gym.) For me, although this doesn't apply to everyone, that convenience means I go 5-6 times a week vs. rarely. But it also only works because I like my gym.

If you can afford it and as it doesn't require a major upfront investment, I'd say try it and see how it works for you.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I vote for doing it too. I have two memberships as well for the same reason. I find one membership by work (right downstairs) for $21 a month and one 1mile from home for <$40 a month is a good way to get me to the gym at least 4 days per week too. There are always excuses NOT to go. If you are paying for a membership close to home, this proximity is eliminating one of those excuses when weather turns worse. Even my mile away can turn into a chore in bad weather so I totally understand you not wanting to go 20min away.