New Here. What does 1200 calories look like?

Options
Hi! I'm new here.

A million time failure at losing weight! Over the summer I have been walking 5k a day and eating better. (around 2000 calories a day). I thought this was good. I lost about 4lbs. 2 weeks later, I put all the weight back on.

Then I was recently told that what I was doing was all wrong. That I should cut my diet down to 1200 calories. It may sound really stupid, but what does that LOOK like? Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack? Does anyone have any useful links or plans that map this out for me? I honestly thought I knew what I was eating but I want to be a bit more aware of what is going into my body to make a better effort to finally lose weight.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Cheers!

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    May I ask how tall you are? 1200 is pretty low. You may not need to restrict that much based on you going down a bit of weight at 2000. Maybe try 1600 for a couple weeks and see where that gets you or use the calculator on MFP. Or Google the TDEE method. A lot of people like that method.

I generally eat 2 meals of around 500 calories (so something like a largish baked chicken breast or smaller steak (the frozen chicken breasts I buy are about 250 g (raw) each and I've never seen bigger ones) with 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup of cooked rice and a cup of steamed veggies and a sauce or cheese - probably not both unless they're in small quantities) and then I snack or have a breakfast for the remaining amount (but I eat about 1400 - 1600 a day). If you were topping off 2-500 cal meals, you could have a small breakfast of maybe a yogurt, a small apple, and a coffee with a splash of milk. In other words, at 1200 calories a day, you probably don't get 3 meals and snacks. More like 2 meals and one smaller snack. Or maybe 3 small meals and no snacks at all. Eating out? One restaurant meal (that you've found to be lower cal on their website) and a small meal nearly the size of a snack...

It's hard to describe what it looks like because it depends what you like to eat! The best thing is to use the recipe calculator here to see how your personal cooking turns out, calorie wise. Another example might be that you eat a homemade burger at like... 800 calories and then adjust your other meals accordingly. Or maybe you went to McDonald's and thought their chicken Caesar salad would be a good idea. Until you see that the salad without dressing is something like 450 calories and the dressing is 260 (I could be a bit off). Food "looks" can be deceiving.

You might feel a bit deprived at 1200. Eating out will be a bit of a trouble since eating out I generally find restaurant meals are no less than 800 calories, many more like 1500. But you could have a light 2nd meal those days of a lean fish and fresh/steamed veggies (such as basa or tuna, but salmon has a bit more calories). Then try to get some exercise in. If you decide to go 1200 calories, protein, fiber, and fat are your friends. Fluffier carb food might leave you feeling hungry (like white breads, pastry, for me potatoes... not that I'm against those things, but I just find they wear off fast when hunger is an issue).

Also if you start lifting (heavy) weights now (eg. Stronglifts 5x5), it's a good idea since you can retain more muscle (as a person diets, both fat and muscle is typically lost). Plus then when you're done losing weight, you'll have a more muscular look (I don't mean super buff though haha) and I've heard some people say lifting weights helps minimize the look of their loose skin.

And make sure to give calorie restriction at least month! It's hard to get used to and seems hard, but it get easier after that (maybe sooner).
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Usually a good breakfast or dinner.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need to do 1200, certainly not if you are losing a little on 2000. I'd try 1600 or so.

However, I think 1200 is an appropriate level for some people, and I did it when I first started (my diary is open, so look at March and April if you want to see what it looked like). I'm much more active now, though also much smaller, so am doing 1650.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    1200 doesn't give you much wiggle room and for some people can lead to breakage because they can't maintain that level of discipline for long periods. You might be better off going with a higher caloric intake with a longer period of weight loss expectation. Much more doable and pleasing as you won't have as many restrictions unless you just have to lose the extra weight by a certain time period.

1200 calories for me would be breakfast of 2 extra large eggs in a tortilla with some cheese, a glass of milk or greek yogurt and lunch of a salad with chicken breast and dressing. Wouldn't give me much left for a decent dinner, but I'm a 6'1 muscular guy and my energy expenditures are different than yours. Use a TDEE calculator to try and get an idea of how much energy you should be expending at your height and weight and then make your caloric intake adjustments on MFP based on that and your planned exercise regimen.
  • bonniemasson
    bonniemasson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ah thank you peeps! So restricting myself to 1200 may be a bit too low. I thought so. I imagine that I would feel pretty weak if I was exercising as well. Right I'll put my intake allowance to 1600 and see how that goes.

Thank you for your help. I know that the question sounds really vague, but having exercised and attempted to eat well (no puddings, drink water, loads of veggies etc) I'm struggling to find out what I am doing wrong and I would like to start this journey properly!
  • The0dora07
    The0dora07 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To me discipline in my diet is key! A lot of people "diet" for a bit and then they "fall off the wagon" and expect to not gain the weight after they get off the "diet". If you don't think of it as a "Diet" is won't be as difficult. Instead of saying/thinking "I can't eat bread" for example, say "I don't eat bread"...I know it sounds corny, but it works. Think of it as a lifestyle. I, too, agree that 1200 is too little especially if you're exercising. Also, don't forget your protein intake. That has to be pretty high.. 0.8-1gram/protein per body weight. Check out http://simplesciencefitness.com/. It's helped me tremendously and it's a wealth of knowledge!

Good luck and stay healthy!
  • moogplayer
    moogplayer Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    1600 sounds right. Maybe work your way lower if need be. But damn 1200 is low.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Looks like a sad day
  • bonniemasson
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check that website out. Funnily enough I have never cut anything out dramatically or worried about being on a "diet". I've just attempted to keep an eye on what I'm eating and generally, how I'm feeling. However, I have found that when I think I have had a really good week or two, the scales haven't shifted at all.
    I'm going to start back on my low-cal protein whey shakes before the gym and try to get into a bit more of a routine as I think I may be absent mindedly eating calories here and there. I'm not a snacker, but I do have a large dinner most days.

Thanks for all your help! This is a real learning curve!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1220 (5'3" with a desk job) although I'm free to eat back my exercise calories. I'm a very boring (repetitive) eater but feel free to look at my diary, I think it's open.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    It actually doesn't look as bad as you think. Though I was told 1,300 calories the first time I started dieting a few months back. Just think about it. If you're losing weight on 2000 calories, think about how much you'd lose on 1,200!
    Wow, totally solid advice. NOT.

OP - listen to previous advice and good luck!
  • The0dora07
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    It actually doesn't look as bad as you think. Though I was told 1,300 calories the first time I started dieting a few months back. Just think about it. If you're losing weight on 2000 calories, think about how much you'd lose on 1,200!
    Wow, totally solid advice. NOT.

OP - listen to previous advice and good luck!

Agree with jkwolly..some people are not well documented. :'(

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

flagged for abuse.
  • bonniemasson
    Options
    I understand the logic of eating far fewer calories to make a bigger/quicker weightloss. I guess i should've specified that as I have lost and regained weight bit by bit (never getting down to my goal weight) over the past 10 years, I would actually like to lose weight in a safe and sustainable way, so that it won't all just spring back on if/when I fall off the wagon for a day or two.

Everybody's advice is gratefully received. I think I'll up my caloric intake a little bit to start off with around 1500 calories a day and see what kind of a dent that makes.

The simple sciencefitness website is amazing though!
    The0dora07 wrote: »
    To
    Also, don't forget your protein intake. That has to be pretty high.. 0.8-1gram/protein per body weight. Check out http://simplesciencefitness.com/. It's helped me tremendously and it's a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks for that link The0dora07!
  • The0dora07
    Options
    The simple sciencefitness website is amazing though!
    The0dora07 wrote: »
    To
    Also, don't forget your protein intake. That has to be pretty high.. 0.8-1gram/protein per body weight. Check out http://simplesciencefitness.com/. It's helped me tremendously and it's a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks for that link The0dora07!

You're welcome! :D It is a great site!
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a 1200 calorie diet for the past five months. I lost around 50 pounds without exercise. I never did any data entry on MFP as far as what I'm eating but my breakfast is a banana, snacks are a granola bar and carrots, not more than 100 calories. Lunch is a type of protein the size of the palm of my hand or whatever I've cooked that day and dinner is usually greek yogurt with black berries or cranberries. Sometimes I skip dinner altogether. As you see, it's pretty sad but it worked for me. Depends on how your body will react but if you want fast results, cutting down is a good option.
  • The0dora07
    Options
    karenkasbi wrote: »
    I've been eating a 1200 calorie diet for the past five months. I lost around 50 pounds without exercise. I never did any data entry on MFP as far as what I'm eating but my breakfast is a banana, snacks are a granola bar and carrots, not more than 100 calories. Lunch is a type of protein the size of the palm of my hand or whatever I've cooked that day and dinner is usually greek yogurt with black berries or cranberries. Sometimes I skip dinner altogether. As you see, it's pretty sad but it worked for me. Depends on how your body will react but if you want fast results, cutting down is a good option.

It also depends on how long you'll keep it off once you start eating more calories...

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

This is NOT good advice. If you're losing on 2000 calories, I'd rather stick to that and lose than to drop it another 800 CALORIES and risk losing muscle mass... Let me ask you this. Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you're using MFP the way it was designed (vs TDEE), your deficit is already built into your calorie goal. I'm set at 1 lb per week (500 cal/day deficit), and have 1300 calories a day if I don't workout....so that is usually only 1 day a week, maybe 2 if I'm in a taper week before a race or recovery week after a race. I workout the other 6 days a week and burn anywhere from 250 calories to 1000+ calories a day (per my HRM), depending on what my workout for the day was (could be an hour long yoga class, or a 3 hour bike ride). I allow myself to eat back roughly half of my exercise calories. And there are rest days where I eat over the 1300 calories - I just make sure I don't go more than 500 calories over, so I don't completely erase that day's deficit.

HTH :)
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Welcome! A good place to start on MFP is to use their calculator to estimate appropriate calories. Moderation and working toward changing your habits along the way is a great approach because you will have a better chance of sustaining the loss in the long run.

I'll leave you with links to a few well written posts that may be helpful. It was all a little overwhelming for me when I started so I bookmarked these articles and came back to them a few times.

Getting started on MFP

Calories and Macros

Logging Accurately and using the tools on MFP