Atkins, Fast Metabolism, Weight Watchers,... which one to do?

Options
So many diets out there!! No idea what to choose or just count calories??? I need to lose 30 pounds before I turn 50 in August. Suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Replies

• marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Best above would be WW. Expensive, but group support.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I do the ElMoMoLiHeWaRu diet.

Eat less, move more, lift heavy, walk/run. Seems to work great for me.
  • Slimdownmb
    Slimdownmb Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I really dont know too much about either however, one of my best friends did the weight watchers programm with *points* she got on really well, ate what she wanted (within her allowed points) and she lost a good about of weight and didnt take her too long either.
    Then another friend of mine is on the cambridge meal replacement shakes - shes lost a massive amount! However it is abit expensive.

Myself- today i have just started on the *shake that weight programe* - im having 3 shakes a day as a full meal replacement 3x a day. with some healthy snacks, however you can just have 2 a day with a low calorie low carb evening or lunch time meal - half the price of the cambridge products.

I have only just tried them and obviously dont have any results to share with you now. reviews on the website seem really good and they are low calories- they taste really good aswell - chocolate is the best tasting in my opinion. only 135 cals per shake (really low carb aswell)

Hope this helps and good luck, Im sure you will do it and look fantastic, let me know what you decide when you get started :-) xxx
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    IF you are going to go with a weight loss program.... definitely Weight Watchers... It has a much higher success rate and maintain rate than the others do... with that said, you can still accomplish the same thing by reducing you caloric intake and moving more...
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Eat clean whole foods in moderation, exercise and you'll have it gone in no time.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Dukan (Atkins with vegetables). But you MUST weigh and record EVERY bit of food you eat.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Worked for me too, and it's FREE!!!!
    Read this if you aren't sure where to start: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    Good luck!

• InnocentLunatic
    InnocentLunatic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any of those, and I haven't needed to. Spend $20 on a foodscale instead so you can accurately measure the portions of what you eat, fill the fridge with precut carrot/celery/cucumbers/whatever sticks so that if you get hungry between meals you can snack without adding too many calories, and log everything. If you're anything like me, I'm sure you'll be surprised by how much mindless eating was hurting you. I don't even know how often I must've just sat down and ate 1000 calories of cookies or chips without even thinking about it. So eat less calorie dense foods, and take the time to enjoy eating them mindfully(and also log them).
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    here are some great threads to read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1346163-change-your-mindset

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

get a food scale and weigh/measure everything to log accurately.

go here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    calculate your estimated TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). eat 75-80% of that number for healthy sustainable weight loss.

personally, i have found that eliminating certain foods has been my downfall. you can eat anything and still lose weight, provided you are burning more than you are taking in. (look up IIFYM).

fad diets are a dime a dozen, and should be avoided. stick to something sustainable. this doesnt have to be torture.

also keep in mind that this process is not linear. there will be peaks and valleys. do not get discouraged...forge ahead and be patient. rome wasn't built in a day.

good luck.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    IIFYM .....if it fits your macros

1. Decide on number of calories required
    2. Decide on percentages for protein, fat, and carbs.
    3. Eat whatever you like, log it, AND try to meet protein and fats. Carbs are just what's left over.

And oh yeah ....move more. This is about lifestyle changes for me. Temporary diets lead to temporary weight loss for me. I'm done with shakes, and eat this-but never eat that type diets. I've got to do something that helps me keep the weight OFF for good.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I second the Guide to Sexy Pants link. You don't need a specific plan that you have to buy. Use the Guide to pick out an appropriate calorie goal and macro goals, buy a food scale, find a form of exercise you enjoy doing, stick to the deficit and hit your macros and see results.

Contrary to what most fad diets would like you to believe, it really is as simple as counting calories... as long as you do so as accurately as possible.

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I personally opted for doing a little research on nutrition, eating a well balanced diet rich in said nutrition, making sure I was eating a little less than I need to maintain, and moving a little more than I used to. Dropped 40 Lbs EZ-PZ. Oh...and sometimes ice cream for desert so long as it fit my calories for the day.

There really is not need to do some marketed diet. I did the above and dropped my weight...and low and behold I also maintained my losses for over 18 months now because I learned how to eat responsibly. Diets aren't really going to teach you that...

If I had to pick a marketed diet it would probably be South Beach as it is closest to the way I currently eat regardless of my weight control goals.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You don't need to follow any of those diets at all. Tailor your diet to suit yourself or try all of them in series and take what you like from them.

Here's why i don't think you should do them and here's some of my tips.

So many diets out there!! No idea what to choose or just count calories??? I need to lose 30 pounds before I turn 50 in August. Suggestions would be great. Thank you.

First if you mean August next year, that's a hellofa lot of time to lose those 30 pounds. You can do this easily. I have more than 30 pounds this year.

Ok so what i don't like about weight watchers. First i must say i haven't done weight watchers and what i know is what the average person knows. What i don't like it is that it seems to encourage you to eat whatever you want. It seems to be mainly about portion control but not so much about food content. The food they sell is bad. Low fat is wrong wrong wrong. Don't go there. And just because its called WW doesn't mean those desserts are a good idea. what is probably helpful in WW is the support. But do you really need it when you have forums. Also i don't like it that you have to pay to belong. As one commentator said these systems may not be designed for you to fail but their business survives because their program fails. People lose the weight and then most pile it back on. Why? Because they haven't learnt how to eat properly. And they haven't learnt how to diet properly.

Next. Fast Metabolism. Never heard of it. It may have some useful element to it that i don't know because i know nothing about the diet but generally they are probably selling you a myth. Basically when you cut down on calories your metabolism will slow a little bit. If you cut down a lot over the long term it will slow a lot more. I don't think you can speed it up by food choices. On the other hand, if they are training you with exercise, then this will increase your metabolism but can you sustain this indefinitely. I am against the idea of relying on exercise to lose weight and there is plenty of research out there to prove it. Exercise is for health and general fitness, not for weightloss.

Atkins. I have done six weeks of Atkins. There are some great things about atkins/low carb and some pitfalls to watch out for. Basically though you don't need to do it unless you have metabolic syndrome, a great deal of weight to lose, diabetic, or just love meat. For all of us it does seem it is better to reduce our carbohydrates and we should become aware of this. This is the latest view from most diet scientistst. We've been taught for 30 or more years to cut fat and eat more carbs. This turns out to be wrong. You can research into that yourself. There's plenty out there on the subject.

When you cut carbs, you will suffer less hunger. If you cut carbs you need to increase fat for energy otherwise you will be sluggish. You do not need to eat a lot of fat if you only cut carbs modestly but you should monitor these alterations to your diet using calorie counting and macro counting. I recommend a site phlaunt.com which has a nutrition calculator. It will help you determine which numbers to aim for.

Another good thing about trying low carb is that it will widen your food choices in some areas to include more nuts and seeds, more cheese, teach you how to use cream and the like in moderation. That said, vegetables are important as in every diet out there. Vegetables are the key to weightloss. And fruit in my opinion.

The downside of atkins is the induction phase. I don't personally recommend it. And if you do it, don't do it for more than two weeks. You want to get your food choices back up to include as much as possible as soon as possible otherwise you will probably quit.

There are other pitfalls. And if you do atkins, i cannot insist strongly enough that you read books about how to do it and don't just launch yourself into it, not knowing what you are doing.

My personal experience is that ketosis is not so important really but lowering carbs to around 100 a day was great. At 100 a day i had to cut out bread and pasta most days and when i did eat, i would have to make sure the position was small so as not to increase carbs too much or to sacrifice important fruit and vegetable allowance.

Paleo is similar to atkins but don't believe the hype about eating as our ancestors did. That's just a marketing ploy and incorrect.

I've already written too much i think but here's my tips.

Reduce calories only enough to get the scale moving down. This will help you avoid hunger.
    Cut back on carbs and especially sweet carbs. Maximum 6tsp sugar per day in total from all foods. That is refined sugar.
    Maximise fruit and vegetables.
    Eat full cream dairy, not low fat.
    Cook! Get organised in the kitchen. Make your food enjoyable so that you can sustain it in the long long term. Here is where fat comes in.
    Minimise processed foods.
    Don't worry too much about exercise. Move more if you can but exercise is not the answer.
    Stress and low mood make people hungry. Deal with these problems asap and effectively. You need to maintain a happy and optimistic mindset. I go find a counsellor when i have a problem I can't deal with.
    WEight often. But don't freak out by the ups and downs of the scale. Its water and it will fluctuate a lot for many reasons. Ignore that. This is why i prefer to weigh daily.
    Log your food religiously. Do it in a spreadsheet so its easy to go back and see what you've been doing. Also log your weight.
    Use a TDEE calculator. The mfp calculator works fine if you are leading a sedentary lifestyle.
    Eat high fibre foods.
    Cook with cold processed extra virgin olive oil. Its the healthiest oil. Ignore the hype about coconut oil. if you like the taste, fine, eat it. If you don't, don't bother. Taste matters.
    Drink water. But coffee and tea are not bad. Minimise alcohol. Avoid fruit juice.
    Learn how to live without much sugar in your life. If you quit sugar in your tea and coffee, its easy.
    Avoid hunger during the day. Going to bed a little hungry is good because your body will burn fat off overnight.
    Try the 5:2 fasting diet near the end of your diet when things get a bit slow. Its a fun and useful thing to know how to do. Check out the fast diet website. I did it for 2 months. I stopped it when my mood got a bit low but now i do a one day fast here and there if i feel like it.

Good luck. Your goal is easy and very achievable.

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    You don't need to follow any of those diets at all. Tailor your diet to suit yourself or try all of them in series and take what you like from them.

Here's why i don't think you should do them and here's some of my tips.

First if you mean August next year, that's a hellofa lot of time to lose those 30 pounds. You can do this easily. I have more than 30 pounds this year.

Ok so what i don't like about weight watchers. First i must say i haven't done weight watchers and what i know is what the average person knows. What i don't like it is that it seems to encourage you to eat whatever you want. It seems to be mainly about portion control but not so much about food content. The food they sell is bad. Low fat is wrong wrong wrong. Don't go there. And just because its called WW doesn't mean those desserts are a good idea. what is probably helpful in WW is the support. But do you really need it when you have forums. Also i don't like it that you have to pay to belong. As one commentator said these systems may not be designed for you to fail but their business survives because their program fails. People lose the weight and then most pile it back on. Why? Because they haven't learnt how to eat properly. And they haven't learnt how to diet properly.

Next. Fast Metabolism. Never heard of it. It may have some useful element to it that i don't know because i know nothing about the diet but generally they are probably selling you a myth. Basically when you cut down on calories your metabolism will slow a little bit. If you cut down a lot over the long term it will slow a lot more. I don't think you can speed it up by food choices. On the other hand, if they are training you with exercise, then this will increase your metabolism but can you sustain this indefinitely. I am against the idea of relying on exercise to lose weight and there is plenty of research out there to prove it. Exercise is for health and general fitness, not for weightloss.

Atkins. I have done six weeks of Atkins. There are some great things about atkins/low carb and some pitfalls to watch out for. Basically though you don't need to do it unless you have metabolic syndrome, a great deal of weight to lose, diabetic, or just love meat. For all of us it does seem it is better to reduce our carbohydrates and we should become aware of this. This is the latest view from most diet scientistst. We've been taught for 30 or more years to cut fat and eat more carbs. This turns out to be wrong. You can research into that yourself. There's plenty out there on the subject.

When you cut carbs, you will suffer less hunger. If you cut carbs you need to increase fat for energy otherwise you will be sluggish. You do not need to eat a lot of fat if you only cut carbs modestly but you should monitor these alterations to your diet using calorie counting and macro counting. I recommend a site phlaunt.com which has a nutrition calculator. It will help you determine which numbers to aim for.

Another good thing about trying low carb is that it will widen your food choices in some areas to include more nuts and seeds, more cheese, teach you how to use cream and the like in moderation. That said, vegetables are important as in every diet out there. Vegetables are the key to weightloss. And fruit in my opinion.

The downside of atkins is the induction phase. I don't personally recommend it. And if you do it, don't do it for more than two weeks. You want to get your food choices back up to include as much as possible as soon as possible otherwise you will probably quit.

There are other pitfalls. And if you do atkins, i cannot insist strongly enough that you read books about how to do it and don't just launch yourself into it, not knowing what you are doing.

My personal experience is that ketosis is not so important really but lowering carbs to around 100 a day was great. At 100 a day i had to cut out bread and pasta most days and when i did eat, i would have to make sure the position was small so as not to increase carbs too much or to sacrifice important fruit and vegetable allowance.

Paleo is similar to atkins but don't believe the hype about eating as our ancestors did. That's just a marketing ploy and incorrect.

I've already written too much i think but here's my tips.

Reduce calories only enough to get the scale moving down. This will help you avoid hunger.
    Cut back on carbs and especially sweet carbs. Maximum 6tsp sugar per day in total from all foods. That is refined sugar.
    Maximise fruit and vegetables.
    Eat full cream dairy, not low fat.
    Cook! Get organised in the kitchen. Make your food enjoyable so that you can sustain it in the long long term. Here is where fat comes in.
    Minimise processed foods.
    Don't worry too much about exercise. Move more if you can but exercise is not the answer.
    Stress and low mood make people hungry. Deal with these problems asap and effectively. You need to maintain a happy and optimistic mindset. I go find a counsellor when i have a problem I can't deal with.
    WEight often. But don't freak out by the ups and downs of the scale. Its water and it will fluctuate a lot for many reasons. Ignore that. This is why i prefer to weigh daily.
    Log your food religiously. Do it in a spreadsheet so its easy to go back and see what you've been doing. Also log your weight.
    Use a TDEE calculator. The mfp calculator works fine if you are leading a sedentary lifestyle.
    Eat high fibre foods.
    Cook with cold processed extra virgin olive oil. Its the healthiest oil. Ignore the hype about coconut oil. if you like the taste, fine, eat it. If you don't, don't bother. Taste matters.
    Drink water. But coffee and tea are not bad. Minimise alcohol. Avoid fruit juice.
    Learn how to live without much sugar in your life. If you quit sugar in your tea and coffee, its easy.
    Avoid hunger during the day. Going to bed a little hungry is good because your body will burn fat off overnight.
    Try the 5:2 fasting diet near the end of your diet when things get a bit slow. Its a fun and useful thing to know how to do. Check out the fast diet website. I did it for 2 months. I stopped it when my mood got a bit low but now i do a one day fast here and there if i feel like it.

Good luck. Your goal is easy and very achievable.

you open with telling her to tailor her diet to suit her needs, and then go on to suggest low-carb, 6tsp of (refined) sugar/day, 5:2 fasting, minimizing alcohol, going to bed hungry.

mediocre advice in long-form.

• tammiep123
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your tips.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

^^ totally agree ☺
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I have done ww and lost alot of weight on it years ago,several years later, after I had a large weight gain, I went back and lost some then quit. I like not having to pay to lose weight and not having to go to meetings, which I liked previously. I have also done Atkins, but after awhile you get tired of it, and I am a big meat eater. Counting calories sounds to simple, but it has really worked for me, I'm 54 and I went into this saying I was cutting back and cutting my carb intake some. I had gotten to where I was eating way to many chips and cracker type foods. I have lost 40lbs and I am very proud of myself, something I havent been in along time when it comes to weight. Good luck with your choice, this has worked for me.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Atkins didn't work for me at all, I ended up gaining weight! I was really accurate with it too :( I'm on 'lose baby weight' now, just started today so don't have any results yet!
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

This

• tammiep123
    Options
    I am going to start with eat less, move more... using the IIFYM Macros calculations. Wish me luck.