Fast food....need I say more...

Options

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You've got a few choices. I will point out first and foremost, a hamburger Happy Meal does have roughly the same amount of calories as my usual lunch. You can do that and still lose weight, if that's your fancy. I'm not in the Evil Foods group.

That said, it's not how I want to spend my money and it's certainly not how I want to eat on a daily basis.

What my husband and I do is pack lunch as we're cleaning up from dinner. You know those sandwich blocks rubbermaid makes? They do a good salad one, too, if you like salads.

Then there's bento. That particular lunch was leftovers (well, planned-overs), repurposed with a few extra fresh fruits and veggies. It fit in a box the size of my hand, so portion control was awesome. It feels all special, so you don't feel deprived, and it took five minutes to cut up and put in the box.

6np9s2zby138.jpg

I don't do those every day, though I did have one today.

And everyone who talks about routines and habits is totally right. If I don't bring my lunch, I WILL break down and buy something I shouldn't. I've totally proven it, so I don't.

FWIW, I don't do that stuff in the morning. I'm too busy to do so. I do it the night before and put it in the fridge.
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I will keep it short! Get yourself a Bento Box (A traditional Bento holds rice, fish or meat, with pickled or cooked vegetables, usually a box-shaped container) and take it for lunch. It is a standard way of eating on the run in Asia. You will be healthier and keep more money in your pocket.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Great minds...
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    I go out to buy my lunch if I'm at work. But instead of going for fast food, I go next door into the grocery store and grab some lean deli meat and a bag of salad. I could prepare this in advance but I'd do the same thing, so it saves me a bit of home time for something else.
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just want to give a +1 to the bento idea: I don't see it mentioned on here all that often, but it's a great way to size out your portions and add some variety to your meals. Plus, you can pack it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge, meaning that you can save even MORE time in the morning by grabbing it and not having to waste a few minutes going through a drive-through. Plus, you can make large portions of things on the weekend and freeze it to use throughout the week!

This lady has a great site with bento recipes and a good book with lots of ideas, calorie conscious choices, and even timelines for how long it would take you to reheat things in the morning. Like I said, I just keep it in the fridge overnight, but it is a nice thought if you don't have one at work.

Aside from all that, I would also highly recommend that you read the nutritional information of your favorite fast food places and pick a few "go-to" meals that you opt for when you have to go out. You can get meals for under 500 cals most places out there, but you can't just stroll up and get the burger with fries -- you have to put a little work into it.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to be just like this. Fast food almost every day. I started making my breakfast and lunch the night before and logging it in MFP right after. Breakfast is usually cottage cheese or greek yogurt with fruit, or scrambled eggs in the microwave. Sometimes I make a breakfast sandwich with a microwaved scrambed eggs. Lunch is leftovers from the night before or a big salad with lots of protein.
    I still get fast food occasionally but I fit it into my calories.
    You could commit to one week of taking your meals and see how it works for you.
  • LauraPa1mer
    LauraPa1mer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A lot of time people get stressed trying to change too much at once. Focus on one thing, like packing a lunch three days a week for work. Make it Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, if you like. Stick with it until it becomes habit. Then add in the other two days. When that is routine, fix breakfast the same way. Breaking it down into mini-goals and retraining your habits makes it sustainable, instead of trying to get it all in one fell swoop and ditching a week into it because it's such a huge change.

^ This is excellent advice.
  • ruth_dickson
    ruth_dickson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you, loved my junk food and failed miserably every time I tried to make the change. To be honest I think I was expecting too much of myself, I'd cut out everything and set myself up to fail. This time round I have filled my freezer with tasty but healthy meals so that on those days where I can't be arsed I can grab and go without it meaning insane calories or fat content.

But also if I'm having a day where I really want something junky I allow myself to! The occasional bad meal but overall staying on track is better as far as I am concerned than severe restrictions and packing it all in.

What I've learnt this time is to drop the guilt. You have a bad day, then that's it, you had one bad day, you didn't fail, don't dwell and don't beat yourself up! Hell I've had a bad week sometimes, but just make it right next week, I learnt that they world will not end if I eat a pizza. ;)

Good luck!
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Think of all the money you'd save. It's easy to waste a stupid amount of money buying lunch every day. I used to work in the city and buy lunch most days. Now I work somewhere where there is not shop nearby, and only a basic fridge/microwave kitchen. Takes 5 minutes after dinner to throw some food into a plastic container for the next day (salad, cold meat, eggs, cheese, avocado, mayo, any or all of these). I also make the egg muffin things, or a heap of meatballs with cheese in the middle, or leftovers from dinner. It's really pretty easy.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    If you don't wanna eat fast food then try to meal plan and prep. If you want to eat it and it fits your macros that's ok too. I actually have a phone app called "Fast Food Calories" just for when I'm on the road and will inevitably stop for fast food. :) Its easier knowing you can switch up your choices too if you need. If you can't fit in breading...KFC and popeyes have grilled chicken, long John silvers has grilled shrimp, etc.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    A lot of time people get stressed trying to change too much at once. Focus on one thing, like packing a lunch three days a week for work. Make it Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, if you like. Stick with it until it becomes habit. Then add in the other two days. When that is routine, fix breakfast the same way. Breaking it down into mini-goals and retraining your habits makes it sustainable, instead of trying to get it all in one fell swoop and ditching a week into it because it's such a huge change.

I agree with this. Could even start really small. Like pack your afternoon snack in a sandwich bag small. Fruit? Handful of nuts? Etc

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    if you have a significant amount of weight to lose, then in my opinion and experience, you are going to have to take control of the preparation of your own food. You just have to tell yourself that you have no business eating at McDonald's every day. Not saying you can never, but remember when that was a treat, not a staple? It needs to be again if you want success. At least until you learn new habits.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I love fast food! I used to eat fast food almost every day. Now it's only like once a week. The only thing that's helped me is to plan and prepare meals in advance, at least a couple days worth. Then I don't have to think about what I want to eat. Just put it in my lunch bag for work. Some days it will still be hard. But it can be done!
  • peter7361
    peter7361 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way with fast food...to the point where I'm pretty sure that when I gave it up it caused a couple of restaurants to go out of business. I took it one step at a time, first cutting out soda with meals (actually I cut it out completely) and having water with my food. Those 32 and 44 oz sodas that most fast food places offer can have between 360 and 520 calories on their own. Then I cut back on the fast food to a couple days a week, and finally as a New Years resolution this past year, gave it up completely (exception being made to order food). The thing that really made it clear to me that I needed to cut out the fast food was when I started looking at the nutritional info of the food I was eating. At some restaurants, I could eat 2500 calories in a single meal and an hour later I'd be hungry again. Realizing that for 10 minutes of work (less time than it would take me to get that "fast" food), I could have a homemade sandwich and chips, that would satisfy my hunger just as well as the fast food with less than 1/3 of the calories, and I wouldn't be hungry an hour later was a real eye opener for me.

Since 1/1/14, I've had burgers from a restaurant that makes them to order, and pizza, and food at sit-down restaurants. McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, KFC, Taco Bell, all the places where I'd get the majority of my meals, haven't gotten a single dollar from me since the first of the year.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    When you "start eating healthy" what do you eat? Do you give up all the things you love about fast food (such as bread and fat) and go for something low fat, low carb, low calorie and unsatisfying?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    sclabbatz wrote: »
    I am a new mom who recently turned 26. I have been overweight my whole life. I have recently come to the conclusion that I have an issue with my diet. I have never thought of myself as lazy, as I am a very physically active overweight person, however lazy is the first work that comes to mind when it comes to how much fast food I eat. Instead of taking the time to pack my lunch/breakfast, I get it on the way to work at fast food places. Since I have been doing this for so long its become what I would probably call an addiction. I just want to start eating healty but every time I do, it doesn't seem to last. Any suggestions and/or life experience would be helpful!

Bringing food from home can help you cut calories (and is cheaper). But if you do stop for fast food, look at what you get, and think of how you can make it lower calorie. A regular cheeseburger instead of a double, a side salad instead of fries, water or diet coke instead of regular soda, ham egg and cheese English muffin instead of a loaded omelet biscuit, etc....
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    think about the money you would be saving by staying away from fast food joints ;)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I agree with whoever said to make slow changes. Making changes too fast can be too overwhelming and makes it easier for us to give up and fail.

There are foods like quinoa, rice, and chicken that you can prepare over the weekend and just measure out your portions the night before or in the morning. It honestly takes time and practice. I am a wiz at measuring and packing food now. I have my go-to combinations like cheese and grapes or greek yogurt for snacks. I either put together a salad or when cleaning up dinner the night before I just measure out a lunch portion for the next day and pre-log it. I also "save meals" (like the cheese and grapes) to make logging faster.

I honestly didn't grow up on fast food (and still got fat!) so I can't really sympathize with feeling the need to constantly eat out. But any new habit takes time and effort to create. Take it slow and you will get there!

Best of luck :)
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Great tips! Lots of people don't find success with a dietitian, but she helped me really look at food differently. We set little goals... my first week was:

- Bring a lunch to work 3x
    - Eat fish twice a week (replace fattier meats with lean meats) and
    - Have three food groups in breakfast

Now, I haven't had lunch out (unless with coworkers), have a healthy breakfast every morning (smoothie, oatmeal, or omelette) and fish is a work in progress ;)

I will add, fast food was never a HUGE issue for me but I did get a deli wrap almost every day at work. Replacing it with leftovers (again, three food gorups!) or something healthier is a small change, but doable, easier to track, and saves money!