New to losing weight healthily....HELP!!!

Options
So, I've used MFP to track calories, but I've had some issues with disordered eating, especially as of late. I've been eating between 600-800 calories most days, which I know isn't enough. I decided a couple of days ago I wanted to be healthy, especially since I wasn't losing enough weight since I just kept yo-yoing. So, I want to do it for real. I upped my intake to 1200, although I'm still taking in about 950-1000 (because I burn some of the calories when I work out), but I'm proud of myself.
Also, I'm in college, so I'm working on a meal plan. That's hard because most of the food I'm surrounded with is straight crap. It's a mess.

If anyone has any tips, or advice, or wants to help me out, I would really appreciate it. All of this technical stuff is a nightmare to me and I'm so so so confused.

Replies

• joeysgirl10
    joeysgirl10 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat 1200 calories at least or your body will go into starvation mode and you will not lose anything. You need to have something for your body to burn! Good luck!
  • kailarosie
    kailarosie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!! Being in the position you're in, I've found that the most weight comes off when I'm working out every morning and eating enough to fuel the workout. If you don't make up for your workout in calories it can actually slow down your weight loss. If you need support add me :) I'd love to help and be here for you :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think you'll do fine without the 'technical' stuff. Log your calories, keep to a range that's healthy but below your 'maintenance' (use the MFP calculator to give you a good daily calorie goal) and you'll be fine. Don't worry about 'starvation mode', worry about getting all of the nutrients you need to fuel your mind and body.

And if you find yourself having trouble with a tendency to restrict more than you know you should, get some professional help :) It's amazing that you self-corrected already this time, just don't feel like you're on your own if it does get tough again.
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Definitely up your intake or you could damage your metabolism (notice I didn't use the controversial words "starvation mode"). 1200 calories isn't enough unless you are 5' tall and very petite. Please take this advice and calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) using the calculator at iifym.com or any other site that has one. Once you input your height/weight/activity level, subtract 20% from your TDEE and that's what you should be eating every day, provided you are consistent with your exercise. That will be about 1 lb/week loss which is very healthy and will put you at a weekly deficit as opposed to daily.

If you eat too little, you will be malnourished and over time it can damage your metabolism. I was there, so I know first hand. I started losing hair, it wasn't pretty. It's so worth it to put in the extra time and do it the healthy way.

Feel free to message me with any questions, I'd love to help!

• aprilang3l
    Options
    Check in at your campus health center. They might have a nutritionist or someone available to help you pick out healthy things you can eat on the meal plan and also maybe look at your calorie/exercise goals.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough to fuel your body - at least 1200 cals a day. The nutritionist idea is also a good one.