Heel spurs

Options
So I went for a jog for the first time in a long time. I walked a lot too and took it super easy. I pushed myself only when I really wanted to and I didn't push myself too hard. I was fine for a while but then after I got home, was hydrating, sat down for a while...when I got up I was hobbling around! I could barely walk my heels hurt so much. So I looked it up and apparently it's a thing: heel spurs. So my question to you: how do you exercise if you have heel spurs? I've noticed that stretching them works fairly well for getting my walk back, but does this mean I shouldn't run? I really like running...

Replies

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I have heel spurs, and I run. If the pain persists, and it will if you indeed have heel spurs, you'll need to visit a podiatrist. Since receiving a cortisone shot, I have not had trouble with them at all. Also, if you haven't already, make sure you run in a quality pair of running shoes.

Wishing you the best!
  • jmbajb921
    jmbajb921 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It could also be plantar fasciitis. Although both affect the heel, they aren't the same thing. If pain continues in your heels there are many things you can do to help alleviate the pain. Pain will be most prominent in the mornings & get better as the day goes on.

I had it horribly last year, to the point I was falling down stairs in a regular basis. I went thru 8 weeks of PT - helped me tremendously, no surgery required, no shots required either. It does still flare up, losing weight has helped it not flare up as much though.

Things I've learned to help manage it/improve it..

Your heals are inflamed, you need to bring that down, Ice them nightly. Use either a frozen water bottle to roll under your feet or a frozen veggie bag, that will conform to the shape of your foot nicely. The first time I did this, major improvement in just 15min!!! I kept 1 bag of frozen veggies in the freezer strictly for this purpose.

Stretch your heals, daily - sometimes several times a day if possible. Easiest stretch is to stand on a edge of a step & dip down. Hold for 30 seconds. Do at least 3 times a day. Also, try to stretch & strengthen your calf muscles.

Try stretching them before you get out of bed in the morning, that will help alleviate the morning pain, when it's at it's worst.

Another exercise my therapist had me do was calf raises to strengthen those muscles.

Massage your feet/heals. I used a hand held back massager. Don't be afraid to apply a little pressure to your heals. Yes it may be a little sore, but you need to loosen those muscles up.

Good shoes & arch supports are a must!

My therapist & Dr both also mentioned that if I was unable to walk due to pain, that biking was a great alternative! Didn't matter if I used a stationary bike or got outside on a real bike. Biking also helps in the stretching of the calf muscles as well.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Heel spur = plantar fasciitis. A "heel spur" is not the same thing as a bone spur. When people say "heel spur", they mean plantar fasciitis. But if doctors say "plantar fasciitis", people think "Huh?" and ask a bunch of questions. If doctors say, "heel spur", people think, "I've heard of that," and ask fewer questions, lol.

You need a podiatrist to diagnose it. If they do, they'll offer up a bunch of suggestions. Take them all.

Until you get to the doctor, do NOT walk around without shoes on your feet. Don't even stand up when you get out of bed. Tons of damage is done first thing in the morning. STRETCH your leg before getting out of bed. Stretch when you stand, before you walk. You're going to have to hold the pee, lol, but do it.

I'm sure the stretches are on youtube.

If that's what it is, it hurts because the fascia (the stuff that muscle turns into before it turns into bone) that "attach" those calf muscles to the heel are being tugged on by the muscle in your calf. You gotta stretch those muscles and keep them loose so that they don't tighten up. When they're tight, they're pulling on that fascia and trying to "rip it away" from the heel. Hence, pain.

Take Aleve for the pain, but don't let the fact that the pain is gone encourage you to do anything you couldn't do with the pain!

Pain is nature's way of saying, "Stop that, you idiot! You're doing damage!" Heed the warning. :)

If you have it and they suggest the $400 inserts, buy them. Getting fitted is a heavenly experience and they work wonders.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Can you believe it, I went to the podiatrist for another problem with my foot a month or so ago. I am due to see him in 6 months.....AND...About a week or 2 after my appointment I started getting very sore heels :\ I think I'll probably have to make another appointment because it doesn't seem to be getting better. A friend of mine just posted on FB that she has a torn plantar fascia. Now she needs to wear some moon boot looking thing. Eek!
  • kmradley
    kmradley Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all for replying. I have to go and buy some vegetables. I am currently unemployed (well, I just got hired, actually, but work doesn't start til next week) and my insurance is terrible, so I'm going to have to wait to go to the podiatrist, but I'll get there eventually. I usually stretch in the morning so I've never really had a problem right away out of bed. It definitely could be my running shoes. It's getting a little too cold to run now anyways, so I might just stick to walking. It doesn't seem to bug me if I'm just walking.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Awful. I had one for awhile. My podiatrist gave me an anti-inflammatory shot - don't remember the name and it worked for about 5 years. Then it recurred. I went back and he gave me another shot and I haven't been bothered again.

Also, I had some problems just standing when I worked as a sales assistant and did physical therapy for about three months to strengthen my ankle.
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    I used to have Plantar Facsiitis, aka Heel Spur Syndrome. I did the cortizone shots (burningly painful) and got custom orthotic shoe inserts. My doctor said I would eventually outgrow it, and I did outgrow it, but it took ten years.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,658 Member
    Options
    I had mild PF and my GP referred me to a podiatrist. I was given off the shelf arch supports and told to stretch my calves several times a day. The stretching program consisted of laying a cutting board on the edge of a phonebook, and standing with my goes raised for a few minutes a couple of times a day. i set up a stretching station at strategic places in the house (brushing teeth, food prep). My symptoms disappeared in a few weeks.