Such a Struggle...

Hello!
I have recently started my process of losing weight (as in about 3 days ago). Portion control is proving hard for me, simply because I don't know the correct method of measuring food. :( However, that is still manageable and I've cut out almost all junk food from my diet. However, it's the exercise that is proving to be such a struggle for me. I am sooo out of shape, it's ridiculous! I don't even know how it ended up happening (I guess because I sit all the time). I'm not even in my 30s yet and my situation is so bad. I can't even jog for 20 minutes without having to take a break every 5 mins. Whenever I go up the stairs (maybe 15 steps) I get short of breath. I really want to do this, but I am struggling to find a exercise regimen that will get me started and slowly build up in intensity. Also, winter time is a killer.
Any help on different exercises or such would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you.

Replies

• kaykaduke
    kaykaduke Posts: 5 Member
    Hi! I find the easiest ways to tackle portion control are to use a smaller plate. Also, a food scale does make a good addition to your kitchen because it takes much of the guesswork out of suggested serving sizes. You can get a good digital scale from Bed,Bath & Beyond or Walmart for under $30. Try working small at first with exercise. I like to walk on the treadmill, or use the elliptical machines at the gym for 30 minutes each most days. Remember to treat yourself sometimes; if you crave something for a couple of days, have it then get back to task! I use Pinterest for coming up with different exercises, you can find some great ones that are short but torch those calories! MyFitnessPal is a great place to start for a new you!
  • Thank you soo much for your advice! I'm going on to Pinterest right now :)
  • Cardxn
    Cardxn Posts: 11 Member
    Don't be discouraged about your having to stop while jogging. Atleast you ARE jogging! This is a positive thing! This is what I do and you will love it.. walk for 200 steps and then jog 100 steps.. Or if you need to walk 300 steps then jog 100. This actually burns calories faster.. Let me know if you try it.. Take it slow :)
  • Cardxn, that sounds like a good tip! I'll let you know :) Thanks!
  • GunbunnyFuFu
    GunbunnyFuFu Posts: 22 Member
    Indeed...a food scale is the way to go. Weigh solids in grams, liquids in cups. I started my weight loss journey by just walking...Walk, run/jog for a short bit. Calories in<Calories out, and move more. Winter is certainly a challenge as far as being outdoors for exercise...treadmill, stationary bike, or even walk in place as your watching TV in the evening. There are some great posts/stickies on how to do...start slow, and work your way up. My diary is open...feel free to friend me!
  • oberlin078
    oberlin078 Posts: 10 Member
    I've found a digital kitchen scale with a "zero" function really helpful as well. It's a snap to measure things out accurately. If I cook something at home, I enter the recipe into MFP and then I can log what I eat accurately too. Eating out, at least at chains like Subway, most foods are in the MFP database so it's easy to log those as well.

I've had a couple of go-rounds at losing weight and using MFP. I found that, for me, trying to change both my eating and exercise habits all at once was too much: I got discouraged and ended up not sticking to my goals. I've been much more successful this time. I started out only working on logging my food, working on adding more fruits and fresh veggies, and avoiding the foods that I knew would cause me to lose control. I've only slowly been adding in exercise. For me, that's been a 20-30 minute brisk walk each day (I walk to a distant bus stop on my way to work). As I get better at that, I'll start to add some weight training or maybe some more intense cardio.

That said, lots of people on here started out logging their food, changing their eating habits, and starting at the gym all at once and have been really successful. Mine is just another viewpoint.