200 pounds to lose... I'm gonna need some help.

Options
I used MFP a few years ago and dropped about 25 pounds... and then proceeded to gain it all back plus a little (a lot) more. Now I'm back, and I'm serious about this. I'm off to a better start than I have been before. Not just watching calories, but making better food choices in general and I'm making myself exercise and, so far, I haven't let myself make excuses or procrastinate. I'm only five days in and while my success has made me optimistic, I'm afraid I'm going to fall off the wagon, and I'm afraid that the sheer amount of weight I need to lose is going to discourage me. I can deal with the hunger pains for now, but once that beginner's optimism begins to wear off, I don't know if I'm going to be able to hold out. I'm driven to succeed, but I'm afraid I'm going to sabotage myself.

Does anyone have any advice for me, or has anyone had to deal with something similar? Also, if anyone's interested in friending me, that'd be great because I think some accountability would be just what I need.

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be friends...add me! I'm down 112 and am working on another 20ish. I'll cheer you on!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. Log everything you eat and drink and try to stay within your calorie allotment. I had to lose a lot also. I started @ 290#. Do not look at the big picture, just make small goals. Pretty soon you will wake up and find yourself a new person. It does work, and it will happen, if you log honestly and put in the effort. If I can do this, you can too! Good luck!
  • ridlee
    ridlee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar weight range to lose. I would love to be added as a friend.
  • tonyamt2
    tonyamt2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey I have almost that much to lose too. I would love to have you as a friend. Feel free to add me. We can do this!
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hey, I started out here in May at 338lbs. I'm down to 287lbs.

Some advice I can give you that helped me:

-Get a food scale if you don't already have one. It seriously does help with accurate logging.
    -Log accurately/honestly and log every day.
    -Make room for treats, otherwise you may potentially end up giving in and binging
    -I made some food substitutions which helped me, instead of putting juice in my morning smoothie, I switched to almond milk. Less sugar and calories.
    -Make smaller goals. Having to lose 200lbs is daunting, believe me, I know. I started by having small milestones, 5lbs, 15lbs, 25lbs, 50lbs, 75lbs, and so on. Tiny goals are much easier to face than a single large one.
    -If you can, take measurements as well. Sometimes the scale doesn't budge but you lose inches.
    -Progress pictures. If you havent already, take pictures of yourself now. and again in a month or two. Continue doing this throughout your journey. You'll see changes in photographs that you might not notice in the mirror.
    -Be active. Even if it's just a walk around the block. That's so much better than sitting at home.

• knkirk09
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well, you guys! I've got about 120 pounds to lose to get to a healthy weight.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 80 of the 180 I need to lose. I log daily, and love to encourage people... and sometimes I need it myself. Feel free (any of you) to add me as a friend!
  • clandrum1984
    clandrum1984 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm right at the same as you. Need to lost close to 100lbs. Add me if you would like!
  • clandrum1984
    clandrum1984 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    vamaena wrote: »

-Get a food scale if you don't already have one. It seriously does help with accurate logging.
    -Make room for treats, otherwise you may potentially end up giving in and binging
    -I made some food substitutions which helped me, instead of putting juice in my morning smoothie, I switched to almond milk. Less sugar and calories.
    -Make smaller goals. Having to lose 200lbs is daunting, believe me, I know. I started by having small milestones, 5lbs, 15lbs, 25lbs, 50lbs, 75lbs, and so on. Tiny goals are much easier to face than a single large one.
    -If you can, take measurements as well. Sometimes the scale doesn't budge but you lose inches.
    -Progress pictures. If you havent already, take pictures of yourself now. and again in a month or two. Continue doing this throughout your journey. You'll see changes in photographs that you might not notice in the mirror.
    -Be active. Even if it's just a walk around the block. That's so much better than sitting at home.

Wonderful Advice!!! :)
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I first started calorie counting, I felt hungry because I was not use to eating not so much food. But it went after two weeks or so, and my 1600 cal limit fills me up good now. My advice would be to make sure your calorie goal is realistic and make sure your not starving yourself. You can fit more food in daily goal with healthier foods, but its still ok to have treat as well if you can fit it into your daily goal. Feeling hungry can cause you to eventually give up and just go back to over eating. Been going strong for nearly 8 months now. You can do this too :smile:
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You can add me if you want. Even though I'm almost to my goal, that's just my re evaluation goal, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    vamaena wrote: »

Wonderful Advice!!! :)

agree! and you're doing great already
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So excited for you. It's a life style that you're creating, not just a temporary fix until you lose what you want. That has always helped me maintain and trim, especially when I'm ready to revert back into old life style habits that weren't helpful.
  • pinkbaggirl
    pinkbaggirl Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi. I need to lose 200 lbs as well, but I've broken it down into smaller chunks. For now I'd like to lose 40 lbs. When I get there, I'll make another smaller goal. Feel free to add me as a friend :-) I've found what works for me is to keep logging, and to log honestly in the food diary. There is that cringe factor when you log a milkshake that's almost 1000 calories, but then you're more likely to get back on track the next day, and you are just more aware. I've lost weight using MFP before, but when I stopped logging, things went downhill. My dad died on 30 August this year, and after that I gained 15 lbs (of the 40 lbs I'd lost earlier this year) from comfort eating. But I'm back on track today. I have a friend who is exercising with me, and I have a personal trainer, so that helps. Keep logging! We can do this. Oh, and my personal trainer encourages me to have one cheat meal per week - we have a long way to go, and I think it would be impossible to never eat junk again. But just log it all :-)
  • jr4fl
    jr4fl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just started 2 weeks ago and I am seeing a pychologist on this so I know the struggle. I am doing a 12 week goal of 3 bls a week ergo 36 lbs. Not looking past that - need to take it in small doses. She has me get on the scale once a day and I thought I could not find one but for 25 on amazon I found one up to 400 so I am wearing a pedometer and weighting in. I know that the point is to not lie to yourself so you can re assess and I expect I might gain weigh some day but I intend to just keep moving forward one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time.

Feel free to add me
  • SabresFan19
    SabresFan19 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation too. I'd love a friend to keep me going along! Please feel free to add me!
  • garrettstewart
    garrettstewart Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Basically I'll echo what everyone above has said, but especially the logging and lifestyle parts. It can be devastating to look at the "big picture", but daily and weekly successes are where I've found the most happiness.

One other nugget of wisdom that I picked up from a podcast a month or so ago was to not get on the scale if I felt it was going to cause me any kind of anxiety. Now I'm not saying, "NEVER GET ON A SCALE!", but rather weight loss should be at least be something that brings you peace.

Best of luck on your journey!
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me - I think having support is one of the best keys for weight loss success. Also, I'm joining the crowd by saying take it one step at a time. Small steps are key.

I currently weigh 238.8, looking to weigh 110.
  • nikiramirez
    Options
    You're going to do great... Every success comes in small increments. Do you best every day and start again the next. Welcome!
  • mjpra
    mjpra Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have about 110 pounds to lose to be within a healthy BMI bracket and with few medical conditions incuding PCOS it is anything but easy...would love to share some support and encouragement...All the very best to everyone in this weight loss journey..do feel free to add me as a friend.