cheat meal and weight gain

Options
How long after having a cheat meal do you usually see the weight gain if there is any? Would it most likely be next day or 3 or 4 days later?

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I usually see it that night and the next day, and then it takes another day or two to go away again. For me, I think most of it isn't real weight, it's more water retention from the salt content.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You are not going to gain any fat unless you eat in excess of 3500 during your cheat meal. Any 'weight' gain is likely just regular body fluctuations, water retention etc. ONE cheat meal is very unlikely to make you gain weight.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It is about calories in and calories out over a period of time...let us suggest a week, so if you over eat 3500 cals over rgoal over a week then you will increase by 1lb.
    t
    Then you have to take into account that you may have gone over on sugar/sodium and not drank too much water then the weight will fluctuate also.

So the short answer is, unless you keep it all regular then there is no definite answer to your question :-)
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I usually actually set "cheat meals" as a reward after reaching a goal. I generally don't eat processed carbs, but my husband and I made a deal that when we reached a certain goal, we were going out for gourmet hamburgers and fries! Neither of us gained anything the next week b/c we still kept everything in check the rest of the week. The thing that I love about my fitness pal, is that you can look at the week as a whole. I particularly like it on the app -- so on the app, if you click the home button and then the weekly tab, you can see how you are doing. If you keep yourself in check 6 days a week and get out and exercise, you should be able to have a cheat meal every week.
  • mammiehorn
    mammiehorn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I splurged on Monday and today I am experiencing weight gain. I didn't eat 3500 on my cheat meal either,lol! Can't even imagine that! Probably is water weight so hopefully it will go away soon. I will try not to weigh in again until Saturday since that is my usual weekly weigh in day. Thanks for the input.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Answer: water pills and durolax!

KIDDING!!!!!! but, yeh...what they said. don't worry about the next day and it will depend on what you have eaten, how much sodium (water retention) ect.... I have a bad habit of weighing myself daily in which I need to stop doing because I see fluctuation all the time.

if I see or feel a little bloated and have a weight fluctuation on the upper end....I will go back on my diary and see how much sodium I had eaten and it usually gives me the right answer.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I cheat every Friday night, I have whatever I want including dessert and I dont gain any weight. But only on Friday nights, the rest of the week and Friday breakfast and lunch I eat healthy. Also if you drink plenty of water it will help flush out the excess sodium.
  • michaelkattenberg
    edited November 2014
    Options
    i cheat every weekend, i drink beer and eat whatever i want but still trying to keep within my daily caloric need.

I usually hold on to 2 or 3 Kilo of water weight. Just exclude all carbs for 2 days and you'll go to the bathroom 100 times per day. within 2 days you'll be at your old weight again.

I ate 4 springrolls, turkish kebab pizza and a big saucageroll. 5 beers (strong) and weigh in 3 kilo more today. will be back in shape by sunday.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Weight gain from a cheat meal is immediate, as it is with every meal. The big question is, how much of that extra weight are you going to retain and how much are you going to lose? You will have to wait a couple of days to answer that, since that is how long it takes for food to make it through your system.
  • kelly39014
    kelly39014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I cheated the day before yesterday and gained a lb, but I went over by 1000 calories grrrr