150+ pounds to lose! Bring it on!

Options
Hello. My name is Daniel and I am 17 years old. I am 6'3" and weigh ~340 pounds. I am about to start my senior year in high school, then go off to college. No one wants to enter their adulthood being FAT! Lol. I have recently started p90x and it is wonderful. I feel so good after I finish my workout. I read that people my size should not start out on p90x, but some simpler program. But it is fun and I enjoy it. I also take 2 walks a day (morning and night) with my black lab. So I feel that I am doing good with the exercising and stuff. I feel the hardest part of the challenge is dieting. I have a little sister, so they do have snacks in the house, and the urge is still their. But, I am going strong.

I am on a 1200-1400 calorie diet, and I drink nothing but water. About 8 bottles a day, if not more. Right now I eat breakfast. snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.

Should I change anything? Keep it the same? Any help/ideas are appreciated.

I have one question, though. In order to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you consume. But, Is it fat calories? Or total calories?

So what I think I really need is some encouragement, friends, mentoring, and new ideas as to what to do.

Thanks for taking the time to read my mess and thanks in advance for any encouragement or ideas.

Replies

• OneDeterminedMama
    OneDeterminedMama Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That amount of calories seems really low. How have you been feeling? As for working out I think you are doing great and that you can do anything you want and size shouldn't matter! :)
  • 4BillsNoMore
    Options
    hey buddy, congrats on your new lifestyle, but your calories do seem really low; especially doing p90X and walking. As for the calories; it doesn't matter what macronutrient you get your calories from, if you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight, bar none.

With that being said, if you eat nothing but crap you'll feel terrible even if you're losing weight and it might be harder to keep up. Water looks good, if you're drinking 8 bottles, that's probably around 16 cups; so that's really strong, good job.

I might try bumping the calories to around 2,000 (which would still give you great loss) and maybe throwing in a week of 1200-1400 if you hit a plateau or need to focus every month or so.
  • onecatleadstoanother
    Options
    Good job! I agree about bumping up the calories. It takes many people a long time to realize that they go off the rails because they're not eating enough.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Check out IIFYM.com (hit the calculators tab at the top) to find out how many calories you should be eating a day and the best way to set your macros (% of carbs, fats and proteins). For your age, height and weight I think you may be too extreme in your deficit, especially with doing P90X (which, IMHO, is AWESOME - cardio AND resistant training!!).

Keep up the excellent work with exercise and water and don't think you have to completely eliminate the snacks from your diet; just fit them into your macros, have them in moderation and stay at a deficit.
  • jojosboys
    jojosboys Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Agreed on bumping up your cals. I couldn't lose on 1400 but started losing at 1800 cals. Ur hard work will pay off!