Options
2»

Replies

• bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    bmele0 wrote: »
    As long as you feel good, there is nothing wrong with that. The BMI chart is just a guideline based on a population of people. It doesn't fit everyone. When I gave my weight loss goal to my doctor, she actually upped it by 5 lbs, she reminded me I may have extra/loose skin and technically I would be a bit above my recommended BMI. I think I'm going to go by how I look and feel too- so I'll re-evaluate when I get there.

Also, Penn and Teller did a great piece on their show *kitten* about BMI.

Now this is very interesting. Do you think skin weighs more if it doesn't "shrink" when we lose weight? I'm curious how much extra skin would weigh because I'll definitely have some sagging and bagging when I'm done losing. Hmmmm.... should I take that into consideration when determining if I'm at "goal"? Not sure yet.

My ex-mother in law had surgery to remove her excess skin after losing about 150 lbs. They took off 12 lbs of excess skin. It really just depends on the person.

Oh geez, 12 lbs! When all is said and done, I'm trying to lose a total of about 140 lbs. I hope I don't have 10+ extra lbs of skin. Banking on my genes and age to help!
  • Keevy333
    Keevy333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Happymelz wrote: »
    Today I'm wearing a pair of size 8 skinny jeans that I've gotten several compliments on. (From people whose opinion I trust. ;) )

During my journey I've overcome my emotional eating and have learned to eat only when hungry (for the most part.)

I love the way I look, I love the way I feel, and my hubby does too!

Even though I'm 6 lbs above my original goal weight and technically 4 lbs over weight according to my BMI I am so happy where I am at that I may just try to maintain here.

I mean...what does BMI look at anyway?

It doesn't take into account my curves which I don't want to lose.

All I know is that for the first time in 20 years I am happy with my body.

This is beautiful! I am very happy for you!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I don't know a single woman who wears a size 8 and appears to be overweight. Maybe the science that decides what overweight is is flexible?

I do. Me. I am overweight and I look overweight (to me) and I wear a size 8. Some clothes hide it better than others, but not all of them.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    As long as you feel good, there is nothing wrong with that. The BMI chart is just a guideline based on a population of people. It doesn't fit everyone. When I gave my weight loss goal to my doctor, she actually upped it by 5 lbs, she reminded me I may have extra/loose skin and technically I would be a bit above my recommended BMI. I think I'm going to go by how I look and feel too- so I'll re-evaluate when I get there.

Now this is very interesting. Do you think skin weighs more if it doesn't "shrink" when we lose weight? I'm curious how much extra skin would weigh because I'll definitely have some sagging and bagging when I'm done losing. Hmmmm.... should I take that into consideration when determining if I'm at "goal"? Not sure yet.

My ex-mother in law had surgery to remove her excess skin after losing about 150 lbs. They took off 12 lbs of excess skin. It really just depends on the person.

Oh geez, 12 lbs! When all is said and done, I'm trying to lose a total of about 140 lbs. I hope I don't have 10+ extra lbs of skin. Banking on my genes and age to help!

If I stick with it (and I will!) I will lose somewhere between 200-220lbs. I have lost 95 so far and I can already tell that extra skin is going to be an iron-clad *kitten*, particularly in my lower abdomen and upper arms.

Assuming I lose all that weight and manage to maintain it for a minimum of 18 months, I plan to look into having surgery to remove the excess.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

If I stick with it (and I will!) I will lose somewhere between 200-220lbs. I have lost 95 so far and I can already tell that extra skin is going to be an iron-clad *kitten*, particularly in my lower abdomen and upper arms.

Assuming I lose all that weight and manage to maintain it for a minimum of 18 months, I plan to look into having surgery to remove the excess.

Whoo! Great job on the 95 lb loss!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    4lbs? Take a good #2 and you'll lose it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy that you are happy with your body after 20 years.

That's so major.

Congrats!

:flowerforyou:
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    ksuh999 wrote: »
    4lbs? Take a good #2 and you'll lose it.

Bwahahahaha! My hubby says the same thing.

If only.

Full discloser:
    Abused laxatives for several years because of this train of thought because I just wanted to see a lower number on the scale.

• _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I started out at 318 and am currently 275. My goal weight is 200-220. Doctors would say I need to be at like 150-160 but I will be just fine at 200-220 even though I'd still be considered "obese." whateverrr.
  • beautifuldisasta
    beautifuldisasta Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful you have found a weight your happy at, forget about the bmi, what matter is how you feel, you must be so proud :)
  • Happymelz
    Options

[/quote]

I'm 5' 4.5" and my original goal was 155, which is 6 pounds overweight. When I got to 165, I was just fitting into size 8 jeans. I looked good, I felt good and I decided that I would be too thin in a size 6 and I didn't want to get that small. I changed my goal to 160 and started my road to maintenance. It took me so long to find maintenance that I ended up at 155 and a size 6 anyway. I don't look as bad/small as I thought I might, but I'm not feeling that happy/healthy vibe I had at size 8. So, here I am, 5 pounds overweight and feeling too thin. I say you should stop when you feel beautiful and healthy.

And, congratulations on your weight loss! [/quote]

See! That is what happened last time. I got to 147 and my hubby asked me to not lose anymore, but I was sooo determined to meet my goal that I pushed to 142.
    Since I didn't know how to maintain or deal with emotional eating I gained EVERYTHING back plus 5 lbs.

I say if I'm happy and healthy, I'm going to take the stress of losing out of the equation.

If I lose a few more lbs while figuring out maintenance, fine. If not, then ok too.

I spent too many years being an anorexic stick...now I want to live in the body I'm happy with. <3
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Both on hitting your goal and feeling good in your skin, both are great accomplishments.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    BMI does not look like real life! I had that discussion with my doctor when we discussed my weight loss, at the time I was 15 lbs heavier than I am now and even at my goal weight I will still be 'overweight' according to the BMI calculators. I wear a 2/4, but really want to stay in a size 4. I still have that goal number floating around in my head and intend to reach my goal. If you are happy with your size that is what is most important, all those charts are unrealistic they don't take into account any variables.
  • Lose53soon
    Lose53soon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think you can maintain and just enjoy your weight! Get used to it for a while and if you want to change, then do so but what an accomplishment! Kudos!!
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Great job
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Im aiming at 154 which is still 14lb overweight for me but having been there before it really suits me and im hoping to be 154lb of fitness rather than 140lb of squidge
  • EpicMedic
    EpicMedic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    BMI is an absolutely horrible way to measure fitness. According to my BMI, which is 30.2 at 6'0" and 223 pounds, I am not even overweight, I am OBESE.

I am overweight, sure, but you tell me if I look obese to you.

s9asiowh9eed.jpg

Ignore BMI and go by how you feel. If you feel great, then rejoice and be happy!
    Yay.jpg 55.4K
  • Happymelz
    Options
    Thank you! I wouldn't say overweight or obese at all.
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    According to my BMI I have 9 lbs left to lose. (I'm 5'3, 150lbs) I want to get down to 135, but at the moment I wear a size 4/6 in pants depending on the brand. The worst part for me right now is the muffin top, but I'm curious as to how small I will actually get. I just want to lose the muffin top, but I don't want to get too small.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It is best to be happy with yourself. I will say I am on the other end of the BMI side, where I am in a healthy BMI however my bodyfat % and height/waist ratios are all still over weight. I will be on the smaller end of BMI to be healthy and I am ok with that. All of these numbers are just estimates of health, not the end all.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!