Tea v. Coffee

:ohwell:

So I am a caffine junkie and am wondering if anyone has experienced weight loss or better weight loss by switching from coffee to tea.

I simply will not give up the caffine!!!

Replies

• rseman
    rseman Posts: 50
    :ohwell:

So I am a caffine junkie and am wondering if anyone has experienced weight loss or better weight loss by switching from coffee to tea.

I simply will not give up the caffine!!!
  • mjb343
    mjb343 Posts: 8
    I think it is more what you put in your coffee or tea - cream, sugar, honey etc. - that you need to worry about as far as weight loss is concerned. Personally, I feel better when I drink tea (with or without caffeine) because I put less "stuff" in it (just a few drops of honey or agave nectar for sweetness as opposed to the cream and sugar I like in my coffee).
  • I've researched this topic VERY quickly on google, and I think you should do the same so you can come to your own conclusions. What I have gathered, however, is that coffee doesn't really make you retain weight except that you usually put "bad" stuff in it and drink it with "bad" things: dessert, pastries...ect. If you are counting calories, coffee in itself doesn't have that many since it is basically bean flavored water. There are some other side effects to drinking so much caffine, so once again, I recommend that you google it or ask some one knowledgable in this area. I like coffee as well, so I also don't want to give it up, but I am also into tea. Believe me, there are many wonderfully flavored teas out there! good luck!
  • rseman
    rseman Posts: 50
    Thanks so much for the info. I usually don't put anything in my tea and I did a comparison on the food journal and it showed that with what I do put into coffee it is a 40 calorie difference and that a few times a day could add up.

I am going to put it to the test and switch from coffee to tea for awhile.
  • :drinker: I LOVE MY COFFEE...........................................
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Call me crazy, but I drink both! And diet coke! Yeah...and I refuse to give it up. I quit smoking last August, have been eating healthy since October, and refuse to give up the one thing I have left!:tongue: So, I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, a diet coke at lunch, and tea (yes with caffine) in the PM. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!:bigsmile:

*Kistinbee*
  • IM ALSO a COFEE DRINKER BUT LADIES PLEASE REMEBER TO DRINK WATER!!!OTHERWISE TO MUCH COFEE GIVES YOU THOSE AWFUL INFECTIONS!!!!!:sad:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Love coffee - love tea.

Green tea and oolong have both been shown to help you lose weight.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55970

http://www.healthbulletin.org/weight_loss/weight21.htm
  • Rooibos tea and Yerba Mate are also said to help you lose weight.
  • I think it is more what you put in your coffee or tea - cream, sugar, honey etc. - that you need to worry about as far as weight loss is concerned. Personally, I feel better when I drink tea (with or without caffeine) because I put less "stuff" in it (just a few drops of honey or agave nectar for sweetness as opposed to the cream and sugar I like in my coffee).

I have heard of agave nectar, but I don't know much about it. Is it a natural sweetener or artificial? Where can you find it?

I can only drink tea, and I can't do artificial sweeteners, so I'm very interested in agave nectar!
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Maybe try a health-food store for the agave nectar. I've not seen it in the "regular" grocery, but that could be that I"m not looking. I have a feeling anything that said agave on it (the same plant that leads to tequila) my boyfriend would have pointed out.
  • [/quote]

I have heard of agave nectar, but I don't know much about it. Is it a natural sweetener or artificial? Where can you find it?

I can only drink tea, and I can't do artificial sweeteners, so I'm very interested in agave nectar!
    [/quote]

You can get the agave nectar at Trader Joe's. TJs are springing up all over the country so I hope you have one in your area. It's in the honey/natural sugars/baking section.

You do have to watch the amount you put in your bev of choice. Sugar is 15 cal/tsp. while agave is 60 cal/tsp. But on the up side, you don't need a tsp to sweeten your drink--its very sweet. It also seems a good choice to sweeten iced coffee/tea since it comes in liquid form and would desolve better than regular sugar or Sugar in the Raw.
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    I've cut out coffee during the week and replaced it in the morning with either green or red tea. I've found that making the switch has helped jump start the weight loss process, plus for me it makes me feel energized where as coffe sometime just makes me feel nervous.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Estevia is a natural sweetener. Good for many things like coffee and tea.

As for me my caffeine HAS to come in coffee form......I have cut down to one cup a day :happy:

dd