Calorie Goal?

Options
I think I need to adjust my calorie goal but I'm not sure what to. A dietician I saw told me 1650 plus calories I burn doing exercise. My pcp told me 1400 minus 250-500 to lose. And when I google it I come up with answers anywhere from 1400-2000. Anyone know the most accurate way to figure it out?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I would list to the dietitian (after checking his/her qualifications) before the PCP and Internet. Thing to remember is the numbers are starting points and guidelines which you adjust if needed.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    That's a good point! Thanks for the advice!
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I would also listen to the dietician. That's his/her area of expertise.

I have had issues with pcps. It took me ten years to find a pcp who doesn't try to solve problems that should be handled by someone more knowledgeable.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Also.. 1400 minus 250-500 sounds absolutely ridiculous.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Oh.. Google TDEE and bmr calculators. Bmr is what you shouldn't go below and you usually take the TDEE and give yourself a 15-25% deficit in order to lose weight. I would still listen to the dietician.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd start with the dietician's recommendation. Do that for four weeks and then adjust based on your actual results.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Thanks for the help!

Just looked at that calculator and it says my TDEE is 2032, and BMR is 1390. Not exactly sure what TDEE is, I'm going to have to read more on that. If what I burn is 1390 a day, then shouldn't I eat like 890 to lose weight?(be at a deficit?) But that sounds really low to fuel my exercise activities
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    TDEE is what you burn every day at your activity level. BMR is what you would burn just existing and not moving. You should eat between your TDEE and BMR to lose weight, closer to the TDEE is more sensible. Using TDEE assumes you don't eat exercise cals back, though. Do not aim to eat below your BMR.
  • ElisetheQ
    ElisetheQ Posts: 58 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the help!

Just looked at that calculator and it says my TDEE is 2032, and BMR is 1390. Not exactly sure what TDEE is, I'm going to have to read more on that. If what I burn is 1390 a day, then shouldn't I eat like 890 to lose weight?(be at a deficit?) But that sounds really low to fuel my exercise activities

No, you don't want to go BELOW your BMR. BMR is your basal metabolic rate, which is the calories your body needs just to survive - if you were to stay in bed all day and do nothing, that's the caloric limit your body needs.

Now, your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is what you'd subtract the 20% (give or take) to lose weight, so if you're subtracting 500 calories, that would be 2032-500 = 1532 daily calorie goal.

Now, each body is different, so I'd start around there (which is close to what your dietician had stated) and give it a couple months and see what happens.

I'll also advise that if you're exercising, (this from personal experience, haha) only eat back about half of your "exercise" calories, especially if you're not using a good heart rate monitor to help you figure calorie burn. That way, you're still eating back some of those calories, but you're also giving yourself wiggle room in case they're being overestimated.

Good luck!
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Bmr is what your body needs at minimum daily. TDEE is pretty much what you need to eat to maintain your current weight.

Definitely go with your dietician. They gave about a 20% deficit..which is what you want.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The dietitian's numbers sound very good.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Check out this thread for an answer to your questions. It was really helpful in explaining BMR and TDEE.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Ohhh! Thanks for all the info!! So the TDEE I don't need to add exercise calories... but the dietician told me 1650 plus exercise calories so maybe I've been eating too much? I was at like 145-150 for a year and then in the past few months I've gained about 10lbs so trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I use the Garmin 620 w/ HRM to figure out my calories burned but I'm not sure how accurate it is? Maybe I'll try that and only eat back 1/2 of what it says.
  • fourakes
    fourakes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No wonder I have been hungry all week. My goal is 1220 calories a day and have been exercising 5 days a week . I have consumed an average of 1400 calories a week. my BMI 26, BMR 1874, TDEE 2577. I lost 2.5 lbs but my first week back after a two year off. Happy about the loss and I like a two pound loss in a week. Not crazy about my stomach feeling empty. And definitelydont want to stall.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    This page really helped me understand how TDEE and BMR work. Really an eye opener!! No need to starve!! :D
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/680246/tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them/p1
  • tnadungan
    tnadungan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    myfitnesspal said I should eat 1200 calories per day. I wasn't losing weight, I went to my doctor being that she recommended this site. Turns out I should actually be eating 1350 and I have been losing weight without exercising. I felt like I was starving at 1200, now I don't feel as weak and actually see results. My question is if I start exercising do I eat the calories that I burn. IE. If I burn 122 on the elliptical do I get an additional 122 or does that go towards the deficit? I really want this to work this time around.