water weight

Options
So for a week I've been stuck at 164, even tho I'm eating in a deficit and trying to walk a bit (hard with a new baby when it's cold out) anyways I rarely drink any water, maybe one glass a day. My husband says this could be why I'm not losing weight because I'm retaining water? Wouldn't that be backwards the less I drink the less I weigh?

Replies

• mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you do not hydrate properly your body will hold on to fluids. Here's how one article put it:

"It may seem counterintuitive, but your body also tends to store water when you're dehydrated: If you're not drinking enough, your salt/water ratio becomes unbalanced and your body will hang on to any extra fluids until the balance is restored."
  • iamnotninja
    iamnotninja Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Regardless of weight loss goals, you need to be drinking more than 8oz of water per day.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Things like sodium cause you to retain water, and drinking more water helps you flush it all out.

How old is your baby? Post partum hormones can cause water retention, and if you take something like fenugreek to help milk production that can also cause water retention.

Just wrap your baby up warm and go for a walk!
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't make sense; but drinking more water helps your body remove the excess sodium in your body that makes you retain fluid. Drinking more water makes a difference for me. I was like you also and drank maybe 1 glass a day, if I was lucky. Try to drink 8 or more a day. I'm still working towards that goal too :). Take care
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    The more water you drink the less water weight you'll retain. Drink up!
  • sammierader
    sammierader Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My son is 8 weeks old now and I'm pretty sure my hormones have *hopefully*returned to normal, I gained a lot of weight while I was pregnant so this will be a long on going journey. I'm going to try for more water today, I'm already at 2cups so thats twice my normal lol.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It takes a while for your body to return to normal. I've got 3 children, the youngest is 6 months.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    The more water you drink the less water weight you'll retain. Drink up!

This^, especially if you have a lot of processed foods that day.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    One week is nothing, but yes, it is most likely water retention for one week. Drink up and log the time it takes to see the difference! :D