Spaghetti Squash Recipes?

Options
Mapanggulo
Mapanggulo Posts: 185 Member
edited November 2014 in Recipes
I love Spaghetti Squash...here are three that I've had that are really good. The first one I just made tonight and its a keeper along with the other two. The last one I've made 4 times and will be having it this week most likely.

Lemongrass Pork & Spaghetti Squash Noodle Bowl with Peanut Sauce

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger, divided
2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass (see Tip)
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 2 1/2- to 3-pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
1 pound baby spinach
1/2 cup “lite” coconut milk
1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
1/4 cup water

PREPARATION
Combine 1 tablespoon ginger, lemongrass, brown sugar, soy sauce and fish sauce in a shallow dish. Add pork, turn to coat and let stand, turning once or twice, for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, place squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe dish; add 2 tablespoons water. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the flesh is tender, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, place squash halves cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a 400°F oven until the squash is tender, 40 to 50 minutes.)
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon ginger and add spinach a few handfuls at a time, cooking and stirring until all the spinach has wilted, 1 to 2 minutes total. Transfer to a plate; cover to keep warm.
Wipe out the pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and heat over medium-high. Add the pork (and marinade) and cook, turning once, until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pork to the plate with the spinach and cover; leave the liquid in the pan.
Add coconut milk, peanut butter and 1/4 cup water to the pan; cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, for 1 minute.
To serve, scrape the squash from the shells with a fork and divide among 4 bowls. Drizzle each portion with 2 tablespoons of the peanut sauce, top with pork and spinach, then drizzle with the remaining peanut sauce.

TIPS & NOTES
Find lemongrass—a woody, scallion-shaped herb with an aromatic lemon flavor—in the produce section of well-stocked supermarkets or Asian food shops. To use, trim off the root end and grassy top. Peel off the outer layer and thinly slice (or mince) the softer inner stalk.

NUTRITION
Makes: 4 servings

Serving Size: 3 oz. pork, 3/4 cup squash, 3/4 cup spinach & 1/4 cup sauce
Per serving: 435 calories; 23 g fat (5 g sat, 6 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 12 g total sugars; 33 g protein; 5 g fiber; 805 mg sodium; 1272 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (215% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (58% dv), Potassium (36% dv), Magnesium (34% dv), Iron (29% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Calcium (15% dv)

Link to where I found it: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/lemongrass_pork_spaghetti_squash_noodle_bowl_peanut_sauce.html

Replies

• Mapanggulo
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Greek Yogurt Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Boats

Ingredients

1 medium spaghetti squash*
    2 large garlic cloves
    1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
    3/4 cup chicken stock, low sodium
    2 tsp cornstarch
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 cup (2 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
    3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, non-fat
    2 cups (6 oz) cooked chicken breast, shredded
    1/4 cup low fat Mozzarella cheese, shredded
    Download an Apple Butter e-Cookbook

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 F degrees F. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds out. Place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool until safe to the touch, about 15 minutes.
    In the meanwhile, preheat large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add garlic and saute for a minute or two or until fragrant, stirring frequently. Add chicken stock, cornstarch, salt, pepper and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for a few minutes until sauce has thickened a bit. Remove from heat, add Parmesan cheese and stir until smooth and cheese has melted. Add Greek yogurt and stir again until smooth. Add chicken and stir to combine. Set aside.
    Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Using a fork, separate spaghetti squash into strands leaving them inside the shells. Scoop Chicken Alfredo sauce on top of each shell and gently move around with a fork to make the sauce settle deeper into the spaghetti squash. Top each shell with 2 tbsp Mozzarella, place in a baking dish and bake for 10 - 12 minutes and then broil on High for 5 more minutes. Stir the squash with a sauce a bit before serving and serve hot.
    Storage Instructions: Refrigerate covered for up to 1 - 2 days. Do not freeze.
    Notes

*I recommend using 2 small spaghetti squash instead. The day I made this recipe, all grocery stores near me were out of small spaghetti squash. There is no way I could eat a half of a medium spaghetti squash in one sitting. It makes 2 meals for me. So, if you are serving 4 people, get small spaghetti squash. If it's only you and a partner, save the unfinished shell for later. That's what we did since our kids do not eat spaghetti squash.

Nutritional Info

Servings Per Recipe: 2*

Amount Per Serving = 1 shell:
    Calories: 509.9
    Total Fat: 20.0 g
    Cholesterol: 74.9 mg
    Sodium: 1,419.1 mg
    Total Carbs: 37.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 6.5 g
    Protein: 47.4 g
    WW Points+: 13

Link to where I found it: http://ifoodreal.com/greek-yogurt-chicken-alfredo-spaghetti-squash-boats/
  • Mapanggulo
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thai Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bowl

Ingredients

1 medium spaghetti squash
    3/4 cup cashews (pieces)
    1 + 1/2 tsp coconut oil, divided
    1 cup red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    2 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
    1 tsp fish sauce
    4 tbsp tamari or low sodium soy sauce, divided
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, divided (more to taste)
    2 cups red cabbage, cut into 1" pieces
    1 cup cilantro, chopped
    1/4 cup green onions, sliced
    2 tbsp jalapeño pepper, minced (I remove seeds)
    1 lime, juice of
    1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
    1/4 tsp salt + a pinch, divided
    See a Collection of Classic Appetizers

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 F degrees F. Wash squash, cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds with a spoon. Punch randomly with a fork, place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper/aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
    In the meanwhile, preheat large non-stick skillet on medium and add cashews. Toast until lightly brown, stirring frequently and watching closely not to burn. Transfer to a large bowl. Return skillet to medium heat and add 1/2 tsp coconut oil. Add bell pepper and cook with a pinch of salt for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer to a bowl with cashews and set aside.
    Return skillet on medium-high heat and add 1 tsp coconut oil. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Add chicken and cook for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally and draining liquid if necessary. Add fish sauce, 2 tbsp of say sauce, 1/8 tsp of red pepper flakes and cook for 8 more minutes, stirring occasionally. As the liquid evaporates, you will have to stir more frequently to get that nice golden crust and flavour on each chicken piece. Transfer to a bowl with cashews and bell pepper, along with cabbage, cilantro, green onions, jalapeño pepper, lime juice, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, black pepper and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix gently to combine and let the flavours "marry" each other while you are getting spaghetti squash ready. Feel free to adjust saltiness and spiciness of the dish with extra soy sauce and red pepper flakes to suit your taste. This dish is mild, perfect for kids.
    Remove squash from the oven, let cool until it's safe to the touch and separate into strands with a fork.

To serve, place desired amount of spaghetti squash in a bowl and top with chicken and veggies mixture. Serve hot. For a kid friendly version, I serve this Thai Chicken over whole wheat spaghetti.
    Storage Instructions: Refrigerate spaghetti squash and chicken veggie mixture separately, covered, for up to 2 days. Do not freeze.

Nutritional Info – Spaghetti Squash

Servings Per Recipe: 5

Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
    Calories: 42.0
    Total Fat: 0.0 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 28.0 mg
    Total Carbs: 10.0 g
    Dietary Fiber: 2.0 g
    Protein: 1.0 g
    WW Points+: 1

Nutritional Info – Thai Chicken

Servings Per Recipe: 7

Amount Per Serving = 1 cup:
    Calories: 230.4
    Total Fat: 7.2 g
    Cholesterol: 61.6 mg
    Sodium: 560.7 mg
    Total Carbs: 7.8 g
    Dietary Fiber: 1.4 g
    Protein: 32.6 g
    WW Points+: 6

Link to where I found it: http://ifoodreal.com/thai-chicken-spaghetti-squash-bowl-recipe/
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I cooked my first one last night! Mixed 200g with 3 oz of pan seared chicken thigh, 100g onion, 50g red bell pepper, and 50g zucchini. 60g of Classico four cheese alfredo. It was AWESOME and under 300 calories. I think I love spaghetti squash now.
  • Mapanggulo
    Options
    I cooked my first one last night! Mixed 200g with 3 oz of pan seared chicken thigh, 100g onion, 50g red bell pepper, and 50g zucchini. 60g of Classico four cheese alfredo. It was AWESOME and under 300 calories. I think I love spaghetti squash now.

It's delicious isn't it?
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    well, I made my easy spaghetti squash last night, because I was too lazy to make a complicated meal. I baked the squash with ghee and a healthy dose of olive oil on each half, and sprinkled with sea salt. When done, I took each side, and scooped out of the shell. Mixed it with the melted ghee/olive oil that was in the cavity, and added a shredded parm/asiago blend, and a cup of 4% cottage cheese then mixed well. One side was dinner, and the other side, treated with same method - is my lunch for today.

• abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm making this tomorrow night and I'm super excited about it! Will let you know how it goes. :)

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Recipe-Gluten-Free-Cheesy-Veggie-Pasta-Bake-20317594

Besides that, I usually mix my spaghetti squash with pesto, chicken breast, and spinach. My favorite on pasta is also fantastic on spaghetti squash. :)
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your recipes. Spaghetti squash is excellent and so low calorie...love it as a pasta substitute.
  • MudLover007
    Options
    My favorite is just garlic salt and butter (or I can't believe it's not butter - lol!)!!
  • lizschwab
    lizschwab Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash!!
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love spaghetti squash! I find awesome looking pasta recipes and sub in the squash for pasta most of the time.

This was my favorite one recently:

http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/1535745032/fiesta-chicken-pasta/
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    My dinner tonight was Betty's Spiral Zucchini Sketti. Here's the recipe and the nutritional breakdown.
    Perdue - Ground Turkey 85/15 Cooked, 3.5 oz calories 166 carbs 0 protein 17g fat 11g sodium 48mg
    Generic - Zucchini, Raw Spiralized "noodles", 1/2 whole zucchini calories 17 carbs 3g protein 1g fat 0 sodium 8mg
    Spice World - Garlic, Minced, 1/2 tsp calories 0 carbs 1g protein 0 fat 0 sodium 0
    Great Value - Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil, 1/2 tbsp calories 60 carbs 0 protein 0 fat 7g sodium 0
    Wild Oats Marketplace Organic - Parmesan & Romano Pasta Sauce, 1/2 cup calories 50 carbs 6g protein 3g fat 2g sodium 500mg
    Kraft - 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 2 tsp calories 20 carbs 0 protein 2g fat 2g sodium 75mg
    TOTAL THIS MEAL: calories 313 carbs 10g protein 23g fat 22g sodium 631mg
    cbpagosqnx3d.jpg
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Made some with brown butter.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I did a search for spaghetti squash and found this thread. I've never had before and decided to plant some in my garden and looks like I will have about 30 or more ready shortly. Can't wait to try these recipes and if anyone has any to add I would love to see them.