Alcohol and weight loss

Options

Replies

• HeatherYvette78
    HeatherYvette78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always have a drink a day, sometimes two. I work it into my calories. It's never been an issue for me in terms of weight loss.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I have had a beer or two, occasionally more, every night for the past 4 months and still dropped 15 lbs in that time.

Log the calories, that is all that matters.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have. I drink 3-4 times a week. Usually a 6 pack or a bottle of wine. I've lost 14 pounds so far. I try to factor it into my calories, and am usually close. It also helps that I stop eating at 5-6pm so I don't have to drink as much to get a "buzz". I also drink light beers and dry red wine so less cals. and sugar. Also, on the contrary, I do not get alcohol munchies, at all, no appetite while drinking so that helps too.
    If I start to have a hard time losing weight I do plan on cutting down though.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Caloric deficit is all that's required for weight loss; doesn't matter how you get there.

Flagged three times for this?! Oh, MFP, build the like button already!

I know! I think I'll just follow Lifting4Lis around all day and see how many flags she gets. So ridiculous...
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    For me, I would try to drink and stay within my calorie allotment. However, I went over most of the time. I did lose some weight but very slowly. When I stopped drinking the weight came off faster. Probably partly because I was more consistent within a calorie deficit and partly because it slows down your metabolism (my personal opinion).
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    phaia wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully been able to drink alcohol (a significant amount) on a splurge day once a week and not have it effect your weight loss?

Not just alcohol, but I've been pounding jello shots every Sunday since football season started. Although it may have been affecting my weight loss, hard to know what would have happened if the world was different.

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    you can put whatever you want in your mouth and swallow it as long as you stay within your daily caloric needs\.
  • considerphi
    considerphi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've heard that when alcohol is in your system, your body will burn it first over all other sources of fuel. So if you have it with a lot of sugar and fat coursing in your system, all that other stuff will get stored. I have no idea if this is true but I figure it's not a bad idea to eat extra super healthy for the day (protein and veggies only) if I know I'm going to go out to drink later. And to pick drinks with low sugar/carbs.

That said, I often have a glass of wine with dinner and keep it within my calorie allotment.
    I have managed to keep up my weight loss.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    No - that is not true.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about 2000 calories in alcohol, or a couple of glasses of wine? I drink 3-4 nights a week and it doesn't affect my weight loss. But I'm only having a glass or two of wine or a few ounces of bourbon, I'm not getting wasted.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I drink. I lost weight. I've maintained for almost a year now. You just need to learn to fit it in if that's what you want. Work out a little harder. Skip dessert in lieu of that extra booze. It can be done.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I just finished my sixth week and last weekend I had 3 shots of vodka over a 5hr span. I don't drink super often, but when I do, I hold liquor well and I usually drink a lot more. I want to give you a heads up about the changes that occur in a healthy body. I got Alcohol poisoning so bad that I had to get nausea medicine prescribed just to keep water down. Alcohol poisoning on the severe end can cause flu like symptoms, including fever, cold shakes, and body aches. I had it all. I was miserable. Apparently, when you eat clean and exercise, your body metabolizes things much faster (which is great for weight loss). This is horrible for alcohol. When you metabolize alcohol really fast, your body absorbs much more of it and much faster. I've decided to give up liquor from now on. I will have a glass of champagne or wine here and there and that's about it. Just wanted to warn you so that you won't be surprised if it happens to you. It really sucks.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Caloric deficit is all that's required for weight loss; doesn't matter how you get there.

I know! I think I'll just follow Lifting4Lis around all day and see how many flags she gets. So ridiculous...

laughsssssss....skipping to follow the leader...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Unlike so many things people discuss, alcohol actually is a toxin, so your body fights it and gets rid of it as quickly as possible, sometimes sending it back out the way it came in. :)

For weight loss, it will of course have an effect. It has calories. But if you come in under your numbers, you can still lose weight. Alcoholics aren't well known for their physical fitness, lol, but some are quite thin, :)

I don't drink it and have no personal experience with any effect on weight loss.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I am going to celebrate on Sat. I know what I am likely to do, (snacks and Whataburger) so I am planning ahead. I ate less yesterday and today and logged in my beer/wine calories in advance so I know what I'm getting into. I don't drink a lot, so I added a couple of extra drinks just in case. Mostly so I don't have to keep tabs in my head, because I suffer from severe calorie amnesia. :P Even with the extra alcohol, snacks and food, I will only be over maintenance something like 150 cals. I also eat to the upper end of my cal. allotment once a week, so it works for me all around.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

laughsssssss....skipping to follow the leader...

Maybe you have a secret admirer and it's the only way they can show it

200.gif
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    And yes I have been able to lose weight while still enjoying wine regularly, although I'm sure I would have lost more weight had I cut down more.