What to do with clothes?

Options
I cleaned out my closet today and have several boxes of clothes that are too big. Yay! But now I am conflicted about what to do with them. I have some that I am going to donate. I also have some really nice ones that I am trying to decide what to do with. I have thought about selling them on ebay or at a consignment store. I could use the money to buy new smaller clothes. The problem is that I am tempted to just box them up and hold onto them because this isn't the first time I have lost weight and then gained it back. In fact, I am thrilled that I saved clothes in a size smaller because I don't need to buy a lot to still have a nice wardrobe for a few months while I continue to loose. So what should I do, sell the clothes as a statement that I won't ever wear that size again or save them so I don't have to buy new clothes just in case? What do you do?

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Donate them! I'm sure someone out there could make use of them. :smile:
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Donate them! I'm sure someone out there could make use of them. :smile:

agree! DONATE!
  • quintter
    quintter Posts: 5
    Options
    I did the same thing today. I am getting rid of all of it. I will be harder for me to fall back to old habits if I don't have my bigger clothes to wear. I am done being the big girl. Today was my first ever thrift shopping and the clothes I found were amazing and so inexpensive!

Good Luck going forward and congrats on your loss so far!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I say sell or donate.

Not keeping them gives you another incentive to want to continue losing and maintain when you reach your goal. If it hits you in the pocketbook, that is just one more motivational tool... (It sure would be for me :) )

~Namaste
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them!!
  • ehilgeman
    ehilgeman Posts: 45
    Options
    This is a tough one. I used to be religiously in the "don't hold onto them" camp, while I was steadily losing weight. But, now I've put a few pounds back on and am wishing I'd kept more. But, you know what - having clothes that don't fit me comfortably is a big part of what drove me to MFP.

Here's what I would do. Donate or sell most of it, but box up a few pieces that you love as a record of where you've been, rather than as a fallback position. That way, when you're fabulously skinny, you can pull that piece out and say, "wow, I used to wear THIS - unbelievable!" So, you can keep your positive mental attitude rather than thinking of it as giving yourself permission to put the weight back on.
  • jayneenaa
    jayneenaa Posts: 3
    Options
    I'd say get rid of most of them, but if you have some that you can take to a tailor and get hemmed or fit to your new size I'd do that.
  • rodafer
    rodafer Posts: 63
    Options
    Yay for you! That is a great feeling! I am not sure if someone has mentioned this yet or not. But I work at a victims of crimes center where we see mostly victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. Call your local program and see if they accept donations. Much better then trying to sell them on ebay. Unless you are a great seller, it can be a hassle.
    And celebrate!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Have the nice ones that are still in fashion tailored to suit your new body. This should be much cheaper than investing in a new wardrobe and the best part is that your clothes will fit you perfectly, unlike most off-the-rack purchases.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I was in a weightloss support community when I was my biggest so I offered them up to anyone there that was in that size. It felt good knowing my clothes went to a good home. I had some awesome stuff,lol. I also didn't get rid of stuff until I was two sizes away. So when I hit a 16 the 20s went and so on. Then once I held a weight for 6 months steady I got rid of everything except what looked great on me. I still have some pretty huge pj pants and workout shirts. For around the house. For some reason those were just as hard to get rid of as my formal dresses,lol
    Ang
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them... FAST!! If you think you might need them, you probably will. If you tell yourself you will not ever need them, you are more likely to stay on track... and if your smaller clothes get tight, take the step right then to lose the extra few. I think if you have big clothes to put on if you gain, it is just easier to make excuses and keep gaining. I have packed away ONE pair of jeans in the biggest size I wore, and those will be the only thing I save. And I have ONE pair of my favorite small jeans I saved from years ago that I hope to get back into someday.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    While I was losing, I took some of the clothes that I really liked to the tailor at the dry cleaner. That way I did not have to continually buy and donate through the loss. It's cheaper than buying new - and I got to wear the clothes that I really loved. I did donate A LOT and gave some to my sister too.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Currently, I'm keeping my old clothes and wearing them until I'm completely at my goal. Which reminds me...I should invest in a good belt tomorrow until that time comes! lol. Rolling the waist band of your jeans and pants can only stay put for so long! lmao :laugh:
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't keep them! Get rid of them, it doesn't matter how.... lol. Keeping them is like giving yourself permission to fail and gain the weight back. Don't do it. You won't be needing them.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    donate or sell NOW!!! Have some faith in yourself. If you think you'll gain the weight back you will. If you have clothes that you can wear if you do it will be easier. If you don't....you'll be forced to stay smaller!
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Get rid of them or have them tailored :)
  • bmw_bloch
    bmw_bloch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Selling clothes on eBay is a hassle and disappointment because you only get small change for it. Donate them and enjoy shopping for smaller sizes. If you ever need bigger ones again, you don't want to go back to the old - by then outdated - clothes anyway.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Women's shelters are a good place to donate. Also, there is a program (the name escapes me) where women can go to get an outfit or two suitable for job interviews. I would imagine that larger sizes are harder to come by. You can take tax deductions for donating to non profits, plus it feels good to do something good for someone else. Great job on your weight loss!:bigsmile:
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Someone had suggested doing a clothing swap on here. In other words, when I lose weight and grow out of my clothes then I'll see if there is anyone on here that could use them and send them to them and they can do the same when they lose their weight. Paying it forward. :0)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Like Tamanella mentioned, I'm going to have a clothing swap party when I'm a bit lighter - though I'm going to do so before my goal weight so that I have some clothes to "tide me over" before then. Basically the idea is you set a date and invite a whole bunch of friends - give them enough advance notice to clean out their closets - and make a night of it! Put the clothes in a big pile in the middle of the floor and you can hold up piece by piece, if someone likes it, they try it on, if not, it goes in a "donate" bag. You might come out with some neat new things, or not, but it should be fun either way (hopefully you have fun friends, hehe).