Do I have a fast or average metabolism?

Options
Okay I do not know where else to ask this. Basically I am a long distance runner, do strength training, six times a week. I am 20, 5'7 and 135 pounds. I eat 98% healthy all the time and a vegetarian. My aunt is constantly saying I have a fast metabolism because I am so active. But I know I can't just eat anything I want because I will gain weight. I don't understand why she is telling me this. :/

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    She probably just means you can eat more than someone your age and height who isn't active.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    How much time do you spend around your aunt? Does she know how much you eat/exercise on a daily basis, or is she just basing her assumption on seeing you once or twice a month? Back when I was heavy, I would eat huge portions of food, but I would do it in private because I was embarrassed. In public, I would always eat normal portions and usually leave half of them. People just assumed I had a slow metabolism, which is why I was so heavy.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Your aunt is telling you that because it's what she tells herself to rationalize things to herself.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say that when they see someone thin. They just assume they can eat whatever they want and not gain. She probably doesn't realize how hard you work out.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that having a fast or slow metablolism really is no indicator of if your skinny or fat. I have a high metabolism and yet i was at one point obese. it all still really comes down to calories in vs calories out. i still need to eat all day long i just portion it out to fit in my calories range. its a very long running joke in my office about how much i eat. granted its not really much its just all the time!
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    Boccellin wrote: »
    How much time do you spend around your aunt? Does she know how much you eat/exercise on a daily basis, or is she just basing her assumption on seeing you once or twice a month? Back when I was heavy, I would eat huge portions of food, but I would do it in private because I was embarrassed. In public, I would always eat normal portions and usually leave half of them. People just assumed I had a slow metabolism, which is why I was so heavy.

I spend a lot of time with her. A few times each week actually.
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    She probably just means you can eat more than someone your age and height who isn't active.

well that makes sense
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have a high metabolism ... from what I am reading both here and on your profile. You run an HOUR each day, plus lift, plus watch what you eat. If you had a "fast" metabolism, you wouldn't have to work so hard to keep your body where its at. Maybe she's saying that because she's worried about your past behaviors with eating/food/excessive working out and trying to ensure you're eating enough? Just food for thought.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    angdpowers wrote: »
    No, you don't have a high metabolism ... from what I am reading both here and on your profile. You run an HOUR each day, plus lift, plus watch what you eat. If you had a "fast" metabolism, you wouldn't have to work so hard to keep your body where its at. Maybe she's saying that because she's worried about your past behaviors with eating/food/excessive working out and trying to ensure you're eating enough? Just food for thought.

+1
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your metabolism is fast or not, but exercise tends to increase metabolism.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I agree with angdpowers. IMO, having a fast metabolism (particularly in young adulthood) would mean your body would tend to resist weight gain without doing much exercise or even with some overeating. In comparison, I'm a guy but also 20. I'm a bit taller than you but weigh less. I spend less time exercising each week and don't try to restrict my calories but yet my body is keeping me quite skinny.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    A lot of people say that when they see someone thin. They just assume they can eat whatever they want and not gain. She probably doesn't realize how hard you work out.

Her aunt told her she has a fast metabolism as she's so active, so I take from that her aunt knows she's active.

Like I said, her aunt probably said it because she can eat more, but that's due to the exercise. Yes a fast metabolism would mean she wouldn't need to exercise and still wouldn't gain weight. Exercise does increase your metabolism though.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I used to do metabolic testing, and only about 3% of people have metabolisms outside of the normal range. You don't have a high metabolism, you're active, which burns more calories.
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    #humblebrag

What is that suppose to mean dude?