Just discovered some heart problems. need fast and safe way to lose weight. Thanks

Options
My name is Judy, Hep

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi Judy. With weight loss, generally speaking, you can have it fast or you can have it safe, but you can't usually do both. Since we don't know what kind of heart problems you have and wouldn't be qualified to comment on them even if we did, I just want to preface with the standard: check with your doctor and make sure any plan you start is okay for you.

These are two really great posts that I think are the best starting point here on MFP:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here

And these two are great if you want to get really accurate with your calorie count:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

Start there, give it a couple of weeks, and adjust as you need to.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    ^ Great advice on this first comment. This is all you really need..read all of these links, again and again. Good luck and do not quit. I lost 45 pounds, went off blood pressure meds and now have normal sugar levels. You can do this!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    consistent walking

29509743.png
  • Ruth5Ann
    Ruth5Ann Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Judy, In 2005 I was dead for 1/2 to 2 minutes from a heart attack. They asked my sister if they should keep going to save me. Obviously, she said yes. I awoke with half my heart damaged and no brain damage. Seven-week check up showed extensive healing in the heart. My heart doctor and I came to the conclusion that it was stress of time that caused the problem. That is another long story. He said that I am his only patient that is not on a lot of medicines. I take plavix because I'm allergic to aspirin and they insist that everyone be on lipitor.

I went to cardiac rehab and they helped me with heart-monitored exercise that included strength and interval training. They also helped with finding my own min and max heart rates for effective training and weight loss. At their suggestion I bought a
  • Ruth5Ann
    Options
    Aaargh, hit the post button accidentally <lol> I bought a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor and use it all the time when I'm exercising. It is very useful to make sure that I'm within my min and max heart range for safe and effective results. I was able to lose around 25 pounds with the help heart rate monitoring exercise and counting calories. If you need a fitness pal you can friend me - maybe it will be a little motivation to keep going on your journey.
  • Ruth5Ann
    Options
    "stress of over time that caused the problem."
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    hello ruthan.........i hear ya, ive lost 107 lbs, and now i can get my heart rate up to 99% of my max target zone.................220 - 60 = 160

90 % x 160 = 144.........I am now getting it up to 150s ,and the other day 162, according to the machine

its a great feeling since 3 years ago I could only , barely walk 50 % of my target rate

walk, fast walk, walk on a tread mill, then use an elliptical......thats how I do it, no blood pressure meds anymore, no sleep apnea, no exercise induced asthma.......

you can do it.....ONE DAY AT A TIME.....thats the only way you can do it...........eat healthy and exercise...........good luck
  • Ruth5Ann
    Options
    Hi lloydrt, Great to hear your success on your journey back to health. The doctor was amazed at my quick recovery/healing. In addition to the strength and interval training, I bicycle, use a Concept2 rower, walk, and hike. It works for me to have the variety and to mix it up.

My need now is to stay motivated to exercise 5 plus times/week over winter so I don't gain weight. My BMI is now at 25 since I lost 3/4" in height over the last few years. Looking to go down 10 more pounds. Thank you for your words of encouragement.
  • nikiramirez
    Options
    Just get in motion and start putting more heart-healthy foods in your body. Your doctor or a nutritionist will help you decide what nutrition/supplements are good for you/need for you to heal. The human body is an amazing thing, and the mind, when it believes in healing will be a driving force! Day by day.