Weight training guide for Women Beginners?

Options
Has anybody tried this new book? "Delavier's Women's Strength Training Anatomy Workouts" http://www.amazon.com/Delaviers-Strength-Training-Anatomy-Workouts/dp/1450466036/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Looks like it just came out about a month ago. I have been doing cardio but want to add weight training to my weekly routine and am looking for some guidance. Other book or online resource recommendations are welcome. I am working on weight loss while not wanting to loose what little muscle I do have and maybe build some more.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or NROLFW
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Starting Strength or NROLFW

NROLFW = New Rules of Lifting For Women :smiley:

• Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    NROLFW is very good, but I think Strong Curves is better and more up to date (I've done both). Don't know anything about Delavier, but the book look interesting. I ordered a sample for my kindle. If you like, I'll let you know what I think of it (for what it's worth) after I look at it.
  • haley183
    haley183 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses! I will look into them.

Thanks Annie, let me know what you think of that Delavier book.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 :D
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    stronglifts is good & simple. You start with just a 45lb Olympic bar for most exercises, but you always start lower if need be.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Haley, the kindle sample was pretty small, so it wasn't possible to form a really informed opinion. I did see a couple of things that made me question Delavier's expertise a little. I think you would be better off with Strong Curves or NROLFW, which are created by highly qualified trainers. I'm not a fan of Strong Lifts, but I know a lot of people here like it for its simplicity and like their results. And it's free on line. If you're new to lifting, you'll see results with any good beginner program.

Best of luck to you! I think you'll love the results of a good lifting program.