Tricks for breaking plateau?

Options
It's almost the end of week 3 on a plateau for my weight loss. I have been drinking a ton of water trying to flush my system and I promise I am logging and eating at a calorie deficit (although I do not log on MFP). I just seem to be stuck ever since the time changed here on the east coast (US).

Does anyone have any tricks that have helped you break a plateau of your own?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Is your period due soon? I never lose until it's over.
  • cdavis1511
    cdavis1511 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Actually - I'm a few days late. I've taken a PT just to be sure, negative, so it should come any day. Hopefully that's what's causing this and once I get it I'll start losing again.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? Have you been eating more sodium than normal?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Oh then it's most likely that TOM coming business. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't worry bout it til it's over.
  • cdavis1511
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Do you weigh your food? Have you been eating more sodium than normal?

I do not have a scale - my next "mini" reward is supposed to be one, if I can just get to that goal.

I have just started tracking sodium, carbs, etc. So I do not know for sure if that's what's causing the problem. Before I was just tracking calories overall. But since hitting this wall I decided I needed to try and track everything more closely.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    First of all, three weeks isn't long enough to call it a plateau. An actual plateau is 6 or more weeks. So this may be premature, especially considering where you are in your cycle.

However, how/where do you weigh yourself if you do not have a scale? If at a gym: those scales are very inconsistent. I've more than once heard gym employees complaining at how inaccurate they are even though they calibrate them often.

how/where are you tracking your calories? What is your TDEE and how many calories are you eating?
  • Francl27
    Options
    cdavis1511 wrote: »

Actually - I'm a few days late. I've taken a PT just to be sure, negative, so it should come any day. Hopefully that's what's causing this and once I get it I'll start losing again.

Ok that's your issue. Keep doing what you're doing... Guaranteed you'll lose a BUNCH of weight as soon as your period is over.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I thought the question was about a food scale and not a bathroom scale.
    What deficit are you running? age height and weight?
    How much exercise and what type?
    Eating back exercise calories?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's almost the end of week 3 on a plateau for my weight loss. I have been drinking a ton of water trying to flush my system and I promise I am logging and eating at a calorie deficit (although I do not log on MFP). I just seem to be stuck ever since the time changed here on the east coast (US).

Setting aside water retention or normal fluctuations, you are eating more than you realize you are. A plateau means you are eating at maintenance.

Do you weigh all your food (in whatever app or journal you choose) and log every single thing you eat?

Do you log your exercise calories and eat them back? If so, where do you get those estimates?

Scrutinizing my food intake and eating less helped me start losing after a stall. In fact, it worked miracles. :smile:
  • Francl27
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Setting aside water retention or normal fluctuations, you are eating more than you realize you are. A plateau means you are eating at maintenance.

Do you weigh all your food (in whatever app or journal you choose) and log every single thing you eat?

Do you log your exercise calories and eat them back? If so, where do you get those estimates?

Scrutinizing my food intake and eating less helped me start losing after a stall. In fact, it worked miracles. :smile:

Nope. 3 weeks is not a plateau, and her period is late. Guaranteed she's just retaining water.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Whoops! i read too fast. You're right about the food scale.
  • cdavis1511
    Options

Ok that's your issue. Keep doing what you're doing... Guaranteed you'll lose a BUNCH of weight as soon as your period is over.

Thanks for the encouragement!
    First of all, three weeks isn't long enough to call it a plateau. An actual plateau is 6 or more weeks. So this may be premature, especially considering where you are in your cycle.

However, how/where do you weigh yourself if you do not have a scale? If at a gym: those scales are very inconsistent. I've more than once heard gym employees complaining at how inaccurate they are even though they calibrate them often.

how/where are you tracking your calories? What is your TDEE and how many calories are you eating?

I see you realized it was the food scale I don't have. Will likely get one within the next week just because I really want to be using it.

I am tracking my calories based on packaging/online information in an excel spreadsheet. All my BMR, TDEE, BMI, etc. numbers calculate as my weight changes, which makes it easy for me to stay on track with where those numbers should be.

999tigger wrote: »

I average a normal 3,500 calorie deficit per week. Each day varies, but overall I've lost about 1.2 #s per week from when I started.
    I'm 26, almost 27.
    5'7"
    I was doing cardio outside (walking, attempting to job in intervals) before the time changed. I had started doing some weights one day a week. When the time changed I've been forced to do the treadmill, stationary bike, and elliptical for cardio indoors. I change it up because I don't like being inside on the equipment but have no other choice since it's dark.
    As far as eating back exercise calories, it depends on how much I burn. I mainly focus on keeping my net calories between 1,200 and 1,600. 1,500 is ideal.
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I answered most of these above. I don't think I'm eating more than I realize because I've been adjusting my #s when my weight changes, so my calorie goals are updated. And even on my bad days, I am honest with myself. I have no reason not to be because they only person I'd be hurting/lying to is myself. So yes - even the one darn day out of 75 that I've been tracking that I hit 3,000 calories I logged that crap.

I use MFP, HRM, and other website calculators to determine calories burned, then I use my best estimate based on the various results. I know treadmills and things tend to overestimate so I adjust based on a variety of sources.

Thanks for everyone who's commented/tried to help. :)
  • cdavis1511
    Options
    BTW - plateau = "a state of little or no change following a period of activity or progress"

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=plateau

"A body plateau refers to a period of time in which your body no longer responds to your fitness or diet routine. ... A body plateau is often called a weight loss plateau because it most commonly refers to a sudden stop of weight loss after beginning a diet or workout plan."

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/body-plateau-1741.html

Can't seem to find anything that suggests there is a certain length of time for something to be considered a plateau. 3 weeks of no change (literally I'm within .2 to .4 lbs of what I was almost 3 weeks ago) after consistently seeing the weight drop off...that to me is a plateau. We're all entitled to our own opinions. IF anyone does have reference to a length of time, I'd love to see it.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    3 weeks is a short enough time that you can't reliably distinguish between water weight fluctuation and weight loss. I'm losing at a fairly steady 0.9 pounds per week, with no significant change in eating habits day to day or week to week, and there are multiple 3-week periods I can identify where my weight on a selected day at the beginning is equal to or lower than my weight at the end, due to random fluctuation.

If you have a smaller deficit and a slower loss, you'll need an even longer period of loss in order for the cumulative loss to be larger than the largest water weight fluctuations during that period.

Calling a 0.4 pound scale loss over 21 days a plateau is like eating 1200 calories today, having the scale read 0.2 pounds higher tomorrow, and concluding that maintenance for you is 500 calories.
  • kate_19o
    kate_19o Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation for months, didn't lose a pound! How I overcame it, which admittedly isn't for everyone, is I let go of my diet and exercise regime for a few weeks, then completely overhauled my workout, changing nearly all of my cardio and weight exercises then lost 4lbs in two weeks!