Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Advice Wanted

Options
First Post Ever.
Hi there. 41 yr.old who had maintained a healthy weight until 2 years ago. Started gaining 1-2 months for 2 years now. At 162 lbs! Exercise 2-3 times a week, yoga, kickboxing weight training except I am really fat. Feeling very depressed and frustrated have tried low carb, reduce calories, no gluten or dairy (made myself intolerant). TSH is in 3 range. Advice of what to do appreciated.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Calculate estimated maintenance needs and then eat at a caloric deficit. 20% from maintenance, if no weight lost after a month then lower by 100 cals and monitor. Lower until weight starts to fall. Log food daily. Weigh food for most precision and accuracy.

If including exercise in the calculation, yu don't eat back exercise calories. if you don't include it into the calculation, you do log and eat back exercise calories.

health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
    exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel trust me, I am 44 & since about 39 started to notice changes. I am still a work in progress but have realized what I eat is really important now. I can't do the stuff I used to and get away with it. I have noticed weight training makes a big difference also. I am trying to learn how to cook better but have a balance. I found a website skinnytaste.com and that has some really good recipes. Just don't give up you are worth it to keep trying :)

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Are you eating in a deficit?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Go see the doctor. Get a weight goal and a number of calories per day total. If you're serious, that's the smart way to begin (which is why every expert will tell you to do it!) If food is an issue, maybe get a referral to a dietician.

Weigh all your food - every single thing you put in your mouth - to the gram. Log it all.

Exercise. Find some things you can do and do them.

If a few months go by and you haven't lost anything by sticking to your goal and exercising, go back to the doctor.

Sometimes there are physical reasons people can't lose. Not usually! But sometimes. I lived that. It sucks. But you have to get on a program before you can be sure it won't work.

Good luck!
  • bdeplb
    bdeplb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I really do monitor everything very closely. I try to watch my sugar and carb intake. I try to eat cleanly as often as possible. Rarely eat out and I am doing a kickboxing weight training and yoga classes. I am committing to logging everything I eat for the next month in hopes I see my weight at least stop going up.