Are they trying to kill me????

Options
Ok Ok i'm being dramatic but ive just been on another cal counting site that i used years ago (not a good as here). I set my goals exactly the same as they are on here and i was recommended to eat 877 cals a day????

Replies

• Pretty_n_Pink
    Options
    Holy Canoli, I can't even manage to stay at 1200 on the days I don't workout. Couldn't imagine doing that.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Wha???:noway: What losers!! Wonder if its a pro ana site. That is NOT healthy!!!
  • 1ArmyMom1
    1ArmyMom1 Posts: 94
    Options
    It is ridiculous that any site would tell you to eat less than 1200 caps. Your body would go into starvation mode and slow your metabolism. Crazy unhealthy to do anything less than 1200.
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Unless you're nearing or at an underweight BMI, I'm pretty sure that's not going to kill you...

If you don't agree with it, don't do it.
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    I just wanted a comparison really dont plan on doing that but thought it was way off.
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    That site probably doesn't have good calculations on calories in general or something. I like MFP, but I've never tried any other sites. Don't have a reason to.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I was first looking for a calorie counting app for my phone I downloaded every single free one that I could find to compare them. Many of them didn't pay attention to a minimum number of calories per day, they only took what you entered as your stats/daily activity level and weekly weight loss goal and gave you a daily calorie count based on that. Clearly I didn't choose any of those. lol

But yeah, there are sites/apps that just don't care about the 1200 a day minimum thing.

Of course, there was also one that I didn't choose since it couldn't do math. This was in March 2010 and when I entered that I wanted to lose 30lbs at 2lbs per week it told me I'd reach that goal by April of 2011. O_o
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Of course, there was also one that I didn't choose since it couldn't do math. This was in March 2010 and when I entered that I wanted to lose 30lbs at 2lbs per week it told me I'd reach that goal by April of 2011. O_o
    Either it couldn't count, or it was being totally realistic, weight loss slows dramatically towards the target weight, often to half a pound a week. Even so, it sounds like a long time!

Years ago, the minimum everyone used to quote was 1,000 a day, not 1200, and sub-1200 targets were common towards the end of a diet; makes me wonder how much lean tissue I have lost in the past!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Th UK Biggest Loser club offers a fast track programme with a 1,000 calories a day deficit. Ouch!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it.I don't like only 1200 on most days! I get hungry. Am glad for MFP! :smile:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it.I don't like only 1200 on most days! I get hungry. Am glad for MFP! :smile:
    On days when my meals include a lot of fruit and veg, I am never hungry, so I am trying to have more of those days. For me, eating the "right" stuff is not just just about being healthy, but also because if I'm hungry I feel miserable and end up thinking about food all the time!

So if being hungry is bothering you, try that. :)