Pregnant, and don't want to gain an Extroadinary amount of weight.

Options
dncyng
dncyng Posts: 53 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello All! I'm jumping on the bandwagon once again. I want to maintain a healthy weight through out my pregnancy. I was already overweight when I got pregnant, and my doc says I'm a little high on the weight I've already gained. I know that my eating choices haven't been the healthiest. On monday I become 28 weeks (the beginning of the third trimester), and I am at risk of getting diabetes because it runs in my family.

I want to be healthy for my family. I want to be active. I want to inspire others.
I have a very active job, and at this point, it seems like I'm saving all of my energy to go into that job...Blah. I have a bad case of the blah's.

I need some support. Please, any suggestions. I was on here a year ago, after my first daughter was born and I lost 20 pounds. At this point I just want to straighten out my diet, and after the baby is born, get back on track with exercise.

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Being pregnant, I don't recommend eating at a deficit. Actually, I would recommend eating at a surplus as you are eating for two. However, just because you are pregnant doesn't mean you can't stay active. I would recommend eating "healthy" nutrient, vitamin and protein dense foods, lots of vegetables, fruits, lean meats and a good amount of healthy carbs. Don't let your weight rule your pregnancy experience because it is only temporary and the health of your child should be of the utmost importance at this time. There is always time for your fitness goals after you give birth.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy foods. Good for you, good for the baby and it will keep you full without a bazillion calories!

Congratulations, btw! :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant

^Group for us pregnant chicks!

To be honest, I exercise 3x a week, with a prenatal swim class, and then I do another hour of a deep water workout in the pool. That's it. And I track/log/weigh my food whenever possible. Of course there's days I go over, but overall, I feel like I'm in a good spot with my pregnancy weight. I was still overweight with BMI when I got pregnant (even after losing 58 lbs, but we planned it this way). As of Sunday's weigh-in at 30 weeks, I've gained a bit less than 15 lbs.

So I guess what I'm saying is, log your foods daily, exercise when you can, preferably low impact, and just keep at it. Worry about the weight coming off after baby comes... however much it is.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I am 30 weeks. You can add me. There is also a group called moms with babies and several of those ladies are very supportive.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    After gaining much more than I wanted to with my second child, I was determined not to repeat those behaviors with my third. I exercised throughout my pregnancy. I ate normal, healthy meals with my family and increased my food intake to meet my increased hunger. One thing I did that really seemed to make a difference was my snack rule. I allowed myself to snack as much as I wanted whenever I was hungry. But the snack couldn't be a simple carb. It had to be a fruit, vegetable or protein food. I managed to deliver a beautiful, healthy baby and only gained 35 pounds. I also have a daughter that loves every food that is offered to her and asks for fruits and vegetables. I'm convinced there is a direct correlation. Best wishes to you for a happy, healthy pregnancy!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Back in the day (45 years ago) the Dr.would scream at my mother for gaining too much.He wanted 10-12 pounds for the whole pregnancy.She was miserable and starved but my sister and I came out full term healthy babies.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Breast feed when you have the baby! Yes, it gives the baby things formula cannot, but that's not my point here, lol. It will also help you lose those baby pounds! :)
  • Southern_Doll
    Options
    Give in to your cravings every now and then but in moderation. Try to eat as natural of foods as possible too. :) Also like another poster said BREASTFEED afterwords. Not only is it the best thing for your baby, it will help you lose weight, more so than if you don't formula feed. Formula is full of chemicals anyways. I am still breastfeeding my baby but I weigh less than I did when I got pregnant and that was about 9 months or so after having him and not working out at all. :) Working out does effect your milk supply so if you do workout make sure to drink lots of water. :):)
  • eatliveplay
    eatliveplay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Being pregnant, I don't recommend eating at a deficit. Actually, I would recommend eating at a surplus as you are eating for two. However, just because you are pregnant doesn't mean you can't stay active. I would recommend eating "healthy" nutrient, vitamin and protein dense foods, lots of vegetables, fruits, lean meats and a good amount of healthy carbs. Don't let your weight rule your pregnancy experience because it is only temporary and the health of your child should be of the utmost importance at this time. There is always time for your fitness goals after you give birth.

Nowadays this information is incorrect. In the third trimester approximately 500 extra calories are recommended.
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    Stay active. walk. I know being pregnant it sucks to get off the couch but it will help you in the long run.
  • krysty702
    krysty702 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think you should consult your doctor on this.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I was nauseous through my entire first and most of my second trimester. The only thing that helped was constantly eating carbs, I started out at 155, and had already gained nearly 30 pounds by the time I got to my 3rd trimester. The 'morning' sickness ended, and my appetite evened out. I gained less than 5 pounds in my 3rd trimester, even though that's when you are supposed to gain the most. The baby and I were monitored well during this time, and my midwife was not concerned about the lack of weight gain on my part as the baby was growing well. She was born on time at a very healthy 7 pounds.
  • bethanm90
    bethanm90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »

You are certainly not eating for two. The advice I give to my pregnant ladies with a raised BMI is to aim not to gain any more weight during their pregnancy. That way, when baby is born, you will already be ahead on your weight loss journey. Eat a balanced and nutritious diet. Baby will take from you what he/she needs, so eat when you feel hungry, but not as if you are eating for two people!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    IIRC, there is a way to tell MFP that you're pregnant, and maybe even how far along, so it can help you through this.

But definitely talk with your midwife (or doctor, if you're high-risk) to see what would be reasonable for you.

When I was pregnant, I started out fairly overweight (I don't know how much, 'cause back then I was clueless), and my midwife was worried that I only gained 10 lb (or maybe it was 15, certainly not as much as she wanted me to), but I was healthy, the baby ended up healthy, and I kept reassuring her that I was eating whatever I wanted, however much I wanted, not trying to starve myself. In fact, I really enjoyed having a milkshake whenever I wanted one. :smile:

51637601.png
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think it would be worth the money to see a dietician. If you are at risk of getting diabetes, this is probably something you should seriously look into. Eating for two is a complete myth. A nutritionist may tell you to eat at maintenance because you are overweight to begin with.

I've been eating at maintenance since I found out I was pregnant and I've been tracking almost everything I eat. I do indulge here and there, but I try to make healthy choices as much as possible. Anyhow, I still managed to gain 17lbs by 30 weeks. I figure when everything is said and done, I will gain between 25lbs to 30lbs, which is right where I should be according to my stats. If I was "eating for two", I think those numbers would have doubled and that's not good.

As for breastfeeding, it seems like some women lose a lot of weight and some don't. Again, it's all about eating at a deficit. If you decide to formula feed, simply adjust your caloric intake accordingly and you will lose weight regardless.

Good luck and congrats! Add me as a friend if you wish.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    krysty702 wrote: »
    I absolutely think you should consult your doctor on this.
    this
  • corncob31
    corncob31 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started my pregnancy @ 240 ish and was 285 the day I delivered. I ate consciously and didn't eat sweets because they made me sick. My point is, some times your body will gain what it wants, I was at pre preg weight 2weeks later... Back to losing my real fat lol