Am I too thin?

Options
Well, I had this discussion with my family for the first time today- they are calling me too thin.

Granted, I'm probably thinner than I've been my entire adult life, but I'm still within a perfectly healthy range. At 5'9 and 145 lbs, I'm not underweight at all. I've still got belly fat and jiggly thighs... My ultimate goal is to get down to 130 lbs, then regain 5 lbs in muscle. I know it's a lot, but I think that if I don't get below 130, I should be fine.

What do you all think? 5'9 and 145, too skinny?

Replies

• astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you are in the healthy range, not underweight, there is no real reason to assume that you are too skinny. Are you experiencing any health problems related to being too thin? If not, you're fine. Do what you need to do to achieve your desired physique (strength training, etc). And take care of yourself along the way, as in, love your body along the way, and you'll be fine.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You're within normal range, tbh.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and I am trying to get to 145. No it is not too skinny at all. 130 is stretching it. At least for my age of 46. 130 would not be a good look for me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    pics.
  • amoreamore
    amoreamore Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I am 5'9 and I am trying to get to 145. No it is not too skinny at all. 130 is stretching it. At least for my age of 46. 130 would not be a good look for me.

Yes, I understand that 130 would be pushing it... which is why that is the lowest I want to get to. It's sort of a goal and challenge all wrapped up in one.

And yes... You're 46, so I could see you not wanting to be as thin. But I'm 23, I feel like it would suit me better. :expressionless:

• amoreamore
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    pics.

I have no recent ones, I apologize.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Then how can anyone determine if you're "too" skinny?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    You know...it could simply be because they're not used to seeing you at this weight. So as compared to the old weight, they feel you look "too thin"...even if you are an average, healthy weight.

On another board I go on I remember a woman saying people at work were telling her she looked "too thin" at 165 and I think 5'4"? IIRC. She had previously been very very heavy. There were a lot of theories, even possible jealousy as one, but quite a few people posted that they'd had a similar experience.

I don't know how much you weighed before, just putting it out there as a possibility as you said this is the lightest you've been as an adult.
  • dbmata
    Options
    oh wow, I was expecting to read something kooky, and you responded totally reasonably and on point. Good job.
  • clare120
    clare120 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and 145 (estimate). I would personally want to get below 130. We are in the same boat! However, nobody has called me too thin. I still have arm fat, belly fat, and thigh fat to lose.

I have no idea of your body composition, though, so it would be difficult for me to give you a definite answer.

My advice would be to form your own opinions about your body. When you are happy with the way you look, stop losing weight. That's what I am going to go by!

Good luck!
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    amoreamore wrote: »
    Well, I had this discussion with my family for the first time today- they are calling me too thin.

Granted, I'm probably thinner than I've been my entire adult life, but I'm still within a perfectly healthy range. At 5'9 and 145 lbs, I'm not underweight at all. I've still got belly fat and jiggly thighs... My ultimate goal is to get down to 130 lbs, then regain 5 lbs in muscle. I know it's a lot, but I think that if I don't get below 130, I should be fine.

Of course not! My ex boyfriend is your height at weighs 140. He can run a 14 minute 5k and do 50 pull ups in a row.

My guess is that your family only thinks you are too skinny because they are overweight. Show them a BMI chart and offer to take them to the gym!

Don't let people hate on your success

• amoreamore
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    You know...it could simply be because they're not used to seeing you at this weight. So as compared to the old weight, they feel you look "too thin"...even if you are an average, healthy weight.

You know what, this is probably it. I honestly don't feel as if I'm too thin. I still have a decent amount of body fat on my body, and would have to lose another 20-25 pounds before being considered underweight.

• amoreamore
    Options
    clare120 wrote: »
    I am 5'9 and 145 (estimate). I would personally want to get below 130. We are in the same boat! However, nobody has called me too thin. I still have arm fat, belly fat, and thigh fat to lose.

I have no idea of your body composition, though, so it would be difficult for me to give you a definite answer.

My advice would be to form your own opinions about your body. When you are happy with the way you look, stop losing weight. That's what I am going to go by!

Good luck!

Yeah... I guess 125 and below is underweight for 5'9, which is why I don't want to drop below 130. My body fat is still at about 24 percent. So I still have lots of working out to do. And fat to lose.
  • amoreamore
    Options
    My guess is that your family only thinks you are too skinny because they are overweight. Show them a BMI chart and offer to take them to the gym!

That's the odd part! You would expect fat logic from fat people! But they are healthy weight/size. Perhaps a bit heavier (10-15 extra), but that's to be expected since they are up there in age. They eat right and work out.

It was like a mini intervention. "We don't wanna tell you what to do amoreamore. But we really think you are starting to look too thin. Don't lose anymore weight. You're looking frail".
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    amoreamore wrote: »

Of course not! My ex boyfriend is your height at weighs 140. He can run a 14 minute 5k and do 50 pull ups in a row.

Totally this!! :-)
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Oh and then I read the reply below! Hmmm... Well just do your own thang! You're in healthy range :-)
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

On another board I go on I remember a woman saying people at work were telling her she looked "too thin" at 165 and I think 5'4"? IIRC. She had previously been very very heavy. There were a lot of theories, even possible jealousy as one, but quite a few people posted that they'd had a similar experience.

I don't know how much you weighed before, just putting it out there as a possibility as you said this is the lightest you've been as an adult.

Just curious why this was tagged... seems reasonable to me.

I think as long as you're in a healthy weight range, losing healthily, and don't feel you are too thin yourself: you're fine.

Good luck on your goals!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about being flagged, people seem to do it all over the place

I keep being told to stop losing weight and I'm still 8lb above maximum BMI for my height but I kind of see what they mean ...it's all down to where you carry the weight and I'm fortunate in my body shape..so the only person who can determine "too thin" is you

However I would say that I don't think what we see in the mirror is a true reflection ...bizarrely...We focus in on either good or bad areas depending on our psyche at the time

so I'd get pictures taken ...you can't hide what you really look like in pics for some reason
  • osoperezoso
    osoperezoso Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would say definitely not- I'm a 5'8"/5'9" guy and I would love to cut down to 145 before beginning a bulk
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. Because I was over 300 lbs, and now I'm 'normal' people were saying I am too thin. I'm not, I'm on the upper side of normal. It's just a skewed perspective of what they are used to seeing. Give it a year ( I have) and they won't notice as much as the comments will stop. THEN when you talk about losing that last 10 lbs, people won't need to comment :)

And congratulations!!