Am I too thin?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am only 5'5 and when I get under 130 lbs I don't look well. I am going to post pics later of how tiny I was before my last injury and steroid treatment etc and the goal size I actually want to be. Where I think I look and feel the best.

I am 162 lbs now and people tell me I look great, but I feel horrible. Do what makes you feel best as long as it is healthy . You are the one that needs to feel comfortable in your own skin.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    It may just be a family thing, meaning that if they are used to you being heavier they aren't used to seeing you smaller. I have that problem with my family. When I got to my lowest I was still about 8 lbs above what should be my lowest weight for my height. My family kept telling me I was too skinny because they were used to me being chunky. I just ignore it and work on feeling the best that I can for me. They only see me in clothes and I'm the one who has to live with my body, not them.
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My sister in law lost a lot of weight leading up to my wedding. She "looked" too skinny but it was only because I wasn't used to seeing her that size. She was working with a nutritionist at her job so I had every reason to believe she was still a healthy weight. Now that it's several years later I've gotten used to her new size and she looks normal. It'll take time but your family will adapt to seeing you at your new size. Great job on the loss btw!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I wish MFP emphasized bodyfat percentage more than weight, as a lot of bodycomp issues would be made much more clear. It's not a big mystery or subjective - the problem is that weight by itself is not a very useful metric.

Here is a very helpful explanation and chart:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage

Essential fat for a woman is in the 10-13% range. If somebody's below that, they're probably dangerously thin. The "Athletic" range is probably the ideal one to be in. For females, that's 14-20%.
  • amoreamore
    amoreamore Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wish MFP emphasized bodyfat percentage more than weight, as a lot of bodycomp issues would be made much more clear. It's not a big mystery or subjective - the problem is that weight by itself is not a very useful metric.

I am at 24.5 percent body fat. I actually have a device to measure. Which is another reason I don't think I'm too thin. Almost 25 percent is quite a lot of fat!

• mtforrest07
    mtforrest07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You're pretty close to my weight and height...I'm 5'8" and between 130-135lbs. I've been told I'm too skinny by some people but generally these comments come from pretty heavy people, so you really have to take it into perspective. I could care less if anyone thinks I'm too skinny because this is the body I live with...not them. Just be happy in your own skin and screw everyone else :smile:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    14 min 5k = 4.5 minute miles. Impressive.
    13:20 is the olympic qualification requirement.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Some people prefer a curvier woman. But, they don't live in your skin. So... Do what makes you feel good, and target what is a sustainable, maintenance weight for you in the long run. I can understand that perhaps family/friends may be worried that you won't stop losing, but as long as that's not the case, I would tell them not to worry. If you talk about weight loss openly, they may also be feeling judged/jealous/envious, even though that was not your intent, so keep that in mind. ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options