Crafty People, Need Advice!

odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Really random question, as I'm prone to do... I made this wine cork wreath, which is hanging on my front door (with a storm door outsided, so it's sandwiched between the two).

It is assembled on a straw wreath form and then hundreds of corks hot glued individually to get the final product...

The hot glue is not holding up. Corks fall off... It's frustrating me. What other type of glue do you think might be more effective?

10580079_10152408496277545_1160102164547084805_n.jpg?oh=b11fb62f676e8ce55e12f51e2307475d&oe=54D1FA02&__gda__=1424463485_083c5af75dd37a8d1057ca4a6a540d80

Replies

• _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    edited November 2014
    It's not holding because the heat from the sun heats up the glue much like the glue gun. You can buy different types/strengths of glue for your glue gun but you'll likely have the same issue depending on time of year and intensity of heat from the sun. The storm door only makes it worse because it traps the heat.

You could try a construction grade glue like Gorilla Glue. That might work better.
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    crazy glue? nothing gets away from that ......glue....
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    _crafty_ wrote: »
    It's not holding because the heat from the sun heats up the glue much like the glue gun. You can buy different types/strengths of glue for your glue gun but you'll likely have the same issue depending on time of hear and intensity of heat from the sun.

You could try a construction grade glue like Gorilla Glue. That might work better.

I was thinking the sun baking b/w the two doors was the culprit. I've never heard of Gorilla Glue. I'll give that a whirl.
  • sparkynazca
    sparkynazca Posts: 169 Member
    Wood glue would probably work, Gorilla Glue would be great.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Wood glue

+1

This.

Cork is from bark, sooo. :3 Yip!

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited November 2014
    Gorilla Glue. Wood glue can break down in the sunlight and that'd defeat the purpose. :smiley: I love the look of it!

Edited because I cannot type.
  • mellylq
    mellylq Posts: 50 Member
    Do both^^. I am an artist. When doing anything 3-D, I reinforce as much as possible, especially if you are adhering two surfaces that do not lie flat with each other. Snip wires to puncture and assemble them as well as gluing, and they should stay. Gorilla glue is super. Good luck!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    You could also try HOT glue. Most newer glue guns used a lower temp glue for safety. I have a gun that is uber hot and I doubt the heat from the sun in the Window would melt it.
  • I know this isn't the question, but I'd change out those feathers for something more wine colored.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    No help here other than that's an awesome wreath and I want to make it so thanks everyone for the tips.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    I'd go with Gorilla glue. My DH uses it in his wood shop all the time for adhering wood together in situations that need something a bit stronger than wood glue.

Glue guns come in different temperatures, and if you used a low temperature glue gun, the glue just does not hold. The higher the temp, the better the hold. Still, it's not ideal for anything that's going to be hanging where sun, moisture or cold can get at it. It's better for smaller crafts.