TRACKING

Options
How are you supposed to track videos that have toning and walking or aerobics holding weights?

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Wear a heart rate monitor. I added my own category that I named "Cardio/Light Weights" for those videos. But you'll have to wear a heart rate monitor to find your own calorie burn.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Enter it using the "create new exercise" button.
  • WanderingBomb
    WanderingBomb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    if you go under add cardio you can track aerobics as general, low impact, or high impact.
    as far as full videos it depends which one(s) you are doing. some you can find the "average calories burned" by googling. for 30 Day Shred I googled and the average calorie burn for the beginner lever was 200 calories.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I would use one of these as a rough estimate for calories burned under Cardiovascular.
    Calisthenics, home, light/moderate effort
    Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort
  • tobybears8
    tobybears8 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What is the best heart rate monitor that also counts calories but doesn't cost an arm and a leg, also one you can change batteries in? Which is more accurate chest monitor or watch kind.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I just have a cheap one from Walgreens. I think it was about $30. It doesn't count calories. Just shows the heart rate. I check it every five minutes (approximately) and make a mental note. Then I approximate the average and enter it into a website that does the calculations. There are many of them. You put in your age, weight, gender, length of time of exercise, and heart rate, and it gives you a result. I'm well aware that it's not really accurate. But it works out OK for me.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have one that's probably in the $25-30 range (depending on where you buy it...can be found on amazon & walmart.com) that has a chest strap. The brand is Pyle Sports. It's nothing fancy, but it does tell you:
    -Avg HR
    -Max HR
    -Estimated Calories Burned (I only ever log 80%)
    It takes your age, weight and VO2max into account

To get accurate readings, you have to make sure to wet the chest strap before putting it on and make sure it's centered on your chest with no material between it and your skin. It will give really strange readings if there is a gap between your skin and the strap. You can change the batteries. It takes CR2032 batteries (i usually buy them from amazon, 5 pack for $4 with free shipping). I think I've changed the battery in the chest strap about 3 times and I haven't had to replace the watch battery since I bought it in April of 2013.

I know it's not the greatest and there are better ones out there. However, when I bought it, I needed something cheap.