Exercising Everyday

Options
The problem with me why it is becoming so tough for me to lose weight is because I do not exercise enough or regularly. I am totally lethargic when it comes to exerting my self! But from today I am going to be exercising every single day till I sweat out enough and get my shape better!
Please add me if you have a similar goal..looking for fitness buddies for motivation and tips! Thanks!

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Exercise is an amazing thing to do to help you in your weight loss, but it is a relatively small part of losing weight.

All that really matters in losing weight is your calorie intake. Exercise is a way to mitigate some of those calories by burning them off while keeping your body from devouring your muscles in the process.

If you're going to be exercising, make sure you're also changing your diet, and staying under your maintenance calories, or you're not going to get to where you want to be. It is not as difficult as it sounds, I promise.

Good luck to you!
  • baronvrinda2014
    baronvrinda2014 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do try to manage the intake of my calories but its still not working..maybe because I dont know which kind of foods to eat!
    But thank you, I hope efforts bring results this time!
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a great addition to logging everything you eat. Just don't overdue the exercise and get burned out if you aren't use to exercising.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You don't necessarily need to exercise every day. That will feel like a burden and probably make you less likely to work out! Exercising a few times a week will help a lot, provided you're also eating the proper amount. I also suggest that you find a workout that you really enjoy! Then you're much more likely to stick with it :) I personally really enjoyed Insanity and now I love lifting weights. Other popular workouts I've read about here on MFP are Jillian Michaels videos, P90x, zumba, etc. Check out the forums to see what other exercises you can look into :) Good luck!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I do try to manage the intake of my calories but its still not working..maybe because I dont know which kind of foods to eat!
    But thank you, I hope efforts bring results this time!

Do you use a food scale to weigh your food?
  • baronvrinda2014
    baronvrinda2014 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    No, i go by the calorie intake.

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    First, you need to get your food intake right and log accurately your calories. You can't do that without measuring and weighing your food. You can't cheat. You can't guess, but if you do, guess high. You can't forget to log every bite. If you don't weigh or measure, you have no idea how many calories you take in. Get that straight and make sure you have a calorie deficit. The bigger the deficit, the better the weight loss. Just be reasonable. Eat enough. Lose slowly. Then...

You've got to move, but don't worry about everyday. I had gotten addicted to exercise since I started here -- well at least cardio -- strength is still a struggle for me.

I was doing up to 120 minutes of cardio a day. Always over 60 minutes. I seldom took a day off. I was really watching my calories and not eating back exercise calories. But I was having these huge water weight gains. I would gain 5 - 10 pounds easily in a day or two. It would come back off after I would start on diuretics (I have heart failure so water weight is my enemy in more ways than one and my cardiologist always wants it gone.)

I started reading how too much exercise can lead to too much cortisol and thus water weight gain (along with other bad stuff). Every article I read seemed to say that this might happen with cardio of more than 60 minutes a day. Seemed like 45 minutes was ideal (especially with heart problems). Also, a day off in the week was a must. I have been doing this now for about 3 weeks. I haven't had a weight fluctuation up of more than 1 pound since then and have lost a few. Also, I seem to be sleeping better.

Frankly it has been hard for me to cut back and I have hit a little over 60 minutes a few times, but I'm doing it. I still don't know if any of this is because I have cut back, but it seems to be more than a coincidence.

So start slowly. What about a 15 minute walk 3-4 days a week? Work up to 45 minutes, 4 days a week. Be sure to stretch every day (next to cardio, this is my favorite) and do a little strength training 2 days, too. Finally, make sure to take a day off.

56604121.png
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day. I find that movement begets movement and that sitting around begets sitting around. Since I do it daily it feels like a regular part of what I do every day -- not something extra that I have to fit in. Works for me.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you exercise every day, make sure that at least 2 days a week you take it easy. Your body needs rest to recover from hard workouts, especially if you're at a calorie deficit. I exercise most days, but I alternate hard days (hard runs, long bike rides, strength training) with easy days (walks, slow runs, short slow bike rides, hikes on moderate terrain, etc.).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No, i go by the calorie intake.

Weighing will help you make sure the calorie intake you're recording is the same as the calorie intake you're actually ingesting.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Your intake is the single biggest factor in weight loss. Exercise helps create a deficit and it's crucial for fitness. Choosing the rights foods is important to health. But calorie deficit is the only thing you need for weight loss.

Also, you shouldn't exercise every single day. Recovery days are important. You don't have to be completely sedentary on those days-- I usually do some stretching and sometimes walking-- but intense exercise every single day is a good way to burn out and get injured.