contraceptive implant

Options
have any of you girls got the implant ?? how does it effect your weightloss??

this is my second implant fitted, and ive been on for almost 3 weeks which is quite normal i am used to this kind of thing happeneing. its so unpredictable!!

Replies

• Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have bee on mine for 4 years (this is my second also) and i've never tried losing weight before getting it put in this time, but i lost 15lbs in my first 3 weeks - if my implant is restricting me losing weight, i dont think my body realises yet

When i first had my implant put in, i did think i felt more hungry, but no real cravings for particular things - fact for me was my brain thought i was hungrier just because of the implant, but the horemones released actually doesnt affect hunger for me.

I'm on Nexplanon Implant, previously called Implanon. Which are you on?
  • laniackerman1
    Options
    I was on it! But it affected me badly... it's cause me to develope severe hemorrhagic anemia which in turn rendered me bed ridden for 3 months needed a blood transfusion (my Hb count was 5 which is considered an emergency) and have still not fully recovered! BUt most people don't get that Kind of effect from it (I only know three people who got it and none as bad as me) and since you have been on it before your body probably reacts well to it. I found when I was on it it made me crave carbs and the excessive carb eating made me gain weight! However again this doesn't happen with everyone... in fact most people don't have bad side effects... so you'll probably be fine! Also if it does make you get uncontrolable cravings for carbs just ask your doctor for an appitite suppresant to counter the effects of the drug! (thats what I should have done)
    Anyway besides my experience with it, it's a great form of birth control :-)
  • 123Jude
    123Jude Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm on the nexplanon too.

ive never tried loosing weight with it yet just this time round, my 4th year too, but because i don't have a proepr time of the month, its hard to predict if im gaining water weight, lost weight , lost water weight????

i don't think its affecting my hunger, but its effecting exercise cos im bloated alot wen i am on, how often do you come on/off?
    are you regular? x
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I was on it! But it affected me badly... it's cause me to develope severe hemorrhagic anemia which in turn rendered me bed ridden for 3 months needed a blood transfusion (my Hb count was 5 which is considered an emergency) and have still not fully recovered! BUt most people don't get that Kind of effect from it (I only know three people who got it and none as bad as me) and since you have been on it before your body probably reacts well to it. I found when I was on it it made me crave carbs and the excessive carb eating made me gain weight! However again this doesn't happen with everyone... in fact most people don't have bad side effects... so you'll probably be fine! Also if it does make you get uncontrolable cravings for carbs just ask your doctor for an appitite suppresant to counter the effects of the drug! (thats what I should have done)

That's awful! I haemorrhaged with mine and needed iron replacement therapy but wasn't so bad as to need a blood transfusion. Luckily I work with OBGYNs so got mine taken out relatively quickly (compared to the clinic waiting lists). This was all the time when I was getting bigger, but I can't say whether it was affecting my weight.
  • 123Jude
    Options

thanks hun!! it scared me abit with the blood transfusion story and that is a terrible thing to go through, sorry for reminding you of it again!
    i don't think im craving for anything ive done pretty well with this website helping me count what i'm eating!!
  • SandraMay1982
    SandraMay1982 Posts: 328
    Options
    We have Implanon in Australia. implant in the arm. It pretty much screwed with my crazy hormones. I was all kinds of messed up in the head. I think I had it in for maybe 2-3 weeks max before I got it ripped out again. So no idea about weight gain, but a lot about it making you go mad. haha.
  • LilianaGarciia
    LilianaGarciia Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ive been on it for 5 months and it hasnt effected me yet i dont think, so i reccomend it :)
  • laniackerman1
    Options
    No worries :-) I'm just glad now almost 5months later that my Hb count is almost normal! I think even if it makes it a little harder to lose weight on it, you can still do it... it may just take a little more effort! Maybe a little extra cardio would be needed but that would help with the bloating as well! :-)
  • 123Jude
    Options
    thanks hun, im guna try to do more cardio even if its jumping jacks between t.v adverts!! xx
  • laniackerman1
    Options
    Well done :-) x:smile:
  • pumpkinpositive
    Options
    The implants don't directly affect weight loss but they can increase appetite in some women (although it decreases it in some initially women as can cause a bit of nausea when first put in), only way to know is to try it out. If it is going to affect appetite you'll notice in the first few months!
  • MFP1984
    MFP1984 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have it and am now the heaviest I have ever weighed. I don't know if it's related to the implant but I don't think I've been as bad eating as the 2stone 8lb weight gain since I had it put in 14months ago!

I loved it at first but I bleed all the time with it now so getting it taken out in two weeks - will see if that helps my weight loss!!