About to buy a fitness band, need some real world help as I want to use a HRM with it

Options
Hi

I am looking to buy a fitness band and am looking for some real world views. My search is limited as I want to be able to use it with a heart rate monitor as I currently use a Polar H7 with my iPhone and want to be able to leave my phone in my pocket but still be able to see my heart rate.

So far, I have narrowed it down to the following bands but open to other suggestions if it fits my criteria.

1. Polar loop, its cheap, and will work with my current H7 heart rate monitor. Downside is it is a closed shop and won't sync with other apps like MFP.

2. Garmin Vivosmart, nicer band but would need a new heart rate monitor. It syncs with MFP etc

Anyone used these two and care to share an opinion, I am especially interested if you have used them with a HRM.

Thanks
Chris

Replies

• mcblevins
    mcblevins Posts: 74 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sorry for the short reply but I am about to run to a meeting, but have you looked into any of the new bands that are coming out/just came out that have a HRM in them? I know fitbit has a couple coming out first of 2015, and I think Basis has one now that does skin temp, HRM, and a couple other things maybe.

Good luck on your decision making!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    as an interim cheap fix,have you considered a phone armband that velcros to you ,enclosed in a see thru pocket?
    i am getting one for £6 from local phone accessory seller in shopping centre for my galaxy s5.
    at least then i can use functions without impediment.just a thought.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Polar Loop now syncs with Apple Health and Apple Health syncs with MFP. To see the display on PL you need to touch it.
  • HelenWater
    Options
    I meant Polar Flow syncs with Apple Health.
  • HelenWater
    Options
    I've used both with a HRM and the Vivofit shows the HR zone you are in. The Vivofit does not have its own light. Also, you can add activities manually to Garmin Connect. I personally like the summary that Polar gives after the activity has been completed.

Sorry for the disjointed thoughts.
  • Ashleigh_LP
    Ashleigh_LP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend bought a vivosmart after seeing my Fitbit flex (he wanted Garmin as it matched his connect). Sent it back after a day and got a Fitbit flex as it wasn't tracking steps properly and the dashboard on the app was so unclear. The band itself is better than my Fitbit as it has an additional clasp to ensure it will never come off, not that this has been a problem for me. Even if this was a problem Fitbit send you a replacement if you've lost it whilst being active.

Fitbit have now released bands with a HRM included so this may be a good option for you? Mine is a flex and I find it easy to use with good functionality of the dashboard. It syncs well with MFP, you can log exercise on either and it will sync across. This is the case for iOs and android users.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend bought a vivosmart after seeing my Fitbit flex (he wanted Garmin as it matched his connect). Sent it back after a day and got a Fitbit flex as it wasn't tracking steps properly and the dashboard on the app was so unclear. The band itself is better than my Fitbit as it has an additional clasp to ensure it will never come off, not that this has been a problem for me. Even if this was a problem Fitbit send you a replacement if you've lost it whilst being active.

Fitbit have now released bands with a HRM included so this may be a good option for you? Mine is a flex and I find it easy to use with good functionality of the dashboard. It syncs well with MFP, you can log exercise on either and it will sync across. This is the case for iOs and android users.

Not yet. Early 2015.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have a Vivofit (not the Vivosmart) and to me it has one huge advantage. No need to recharge. I wear it 24/7 and have done so since June. That includes showering, swimming sleeping etc. It has not left my wrist and has actually replaced my watch.. I use a separate Garmin FR for running and an Edge computer for cycling. All three units use the same HR strap, the Vivofit is useful in the gym when doing HIIT exercises.
  • Ashleigh_LP
    Ashleigh_LP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »

Not yet. Early 2015.

One of them is coming pretty soon (can't remember which), the other two are 2015.
  • seansloan573
    seansloan573 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ive used both,Fully onboard with the vivofit.Most important is not needing to charge it all the time.Replace the battery once a year and you are good to go.I use the wahoo TICKR HR strap with it,but Im sure the one that comes in the bundle is great too.I also find the garmin much easier to fasten and stay fastened
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have the Microsoft Band, and it is pretty good. The step counter is less accurate that my Fitbit One, though. It has lots of additional features that I didn't want (text, email, etc) but I got it because it was coming out earlier than the Fitbit Surge, which is what I think I want to get eventually.
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The Microsoft Band syncs with MFP, at least the measure exercise does. I still wear my Fitbit for steps, it syncs with MFP and does not get in the way of the Microsoft Band sync, because of the negative calorie adjustment.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Microsoft Band owners here. Love it.
  • chrisoldroyd
    chrisoldroyd Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I ended up getting a Polar M400 watch / fitness band. I love it, has gps, connects to my heart rate monitor and works great
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Has anyone been able to try the Fitbit Surge or Fitbit Charge HR yet? I saw some review videos on each on youtube. I was wondering if anyone on here was able to pre-order and how do you like it?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Well, there's the zephyr. I used it for a bit in transition to a new hrm-watch. No complaints. Works with various apps like Strava.