Trying to convince myself this is a good, yummy lunch..... :(

Options

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    It sounds quite decent to me, but there has to be some kind of dressing, yes low cal and only a little, but man there has got to be some. Salad with no dressing makes me homicidal. lol I think the stuff I eat for lunch would make you cry... well it makes me cry sometimes lol. Work lunches have certain issues because the boss said no stinky tuna, and we have fridge thieves, etc, etc so it gets to where you're just finding some random low cal healthy crap with little to no scent that will take 4 hours of non refrigeration and throwing it in a bag! so um, I would trade. lol

What the hell? I refuse to be told "no tuna". I don't normally eat it but hell I would do that just to spite him. And fridge thieves? That would send me into a murderous rage. It would be a sight to behold, I am sure.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    My packed lunches are typically 350 kcal and pretty satisfying. I normally do 200 g of defrosted frozen veg with 150 g of lean-ish protein. Typically leftover meat from the night before or some smoked salmon and a boiled egg. If I want more flavor on the veg I will add a teaspoon of sauce, such as chilli paste, pesto, salsa verde, tapenade or salsa.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lunch
    Eggland's Best - Cage Free Brown Eggs, Large, 2 egg (50g) 120 0 8 12 130 0 
    sargento - ultra thin provolone, 1 slices 40 0 3 3 0 0 
    Tumaro's Premium White Low Carb Wrap - Skip the Sandwich, 1 wrap 60 13 2 5 135 7 
    Oscar Mayer - Deli Fresh Maple Honey Ham, 2.1 oz 63 3 2 9 525 0 
    Totals 283 calories, 16g carbs, 15g fat, 29g protien, 790 sodium, 7g fiber

Kept me full for ages, and the maple honey ham made my house smell amazing. Of course, you're at work and can't fry eggs and ham and melt your cheese on top. But it's just an example that you don't have to have sad salads just because it's "healthy diet food"
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I skip lettuce entirely and go with chopped broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, and use full fat Western and Ranch on it. I might add cheese hemp hearts or cashews or real bacon bits, but it's fine as it is, too.
  • legowrangler
    legowrangler Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I actually had a salad today too but it was good and no cheese or bacon. It had spring mix, bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, sunflower seeds and hummus as my dressing
  • squirrelone
    squirrelone Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your food is boring because you decided to eat boring food. It really is up to you.

Here are a few alternatives in roughly the same calorie range (+/- 50 at most):
    6ea66g5i0xi2.jpg
    nuyytj9tr6jf.jpg
    zid2eg1cjfix.jpg
    tabn453489rs.jpg
    fhcr3joe0ie2.jpg
    hw091b0gu6n6.jpg
    The last one without the peanut butter cups, obviously.

If I do say so myself, none of these are boring.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    helaurin wrote: »
    That's part of the problem.... I really don't like most vegetables, especially not fresh. The croutons, shredded cheese and bacon bits are about all I can stand in a salad - I don't even like any salad dressings. Can't stand tomatoes, peppers, carrots, spinach, etc. - I guess those are all acquired tastes that I never got. (It didn't help that my mom could make any food taste bad, and I am not kidding... even after my dad had a major stroke and couldn't move half his body, Thanksgiving was the one meal of the year mom wasn't allowed to ruin... ) But I digress. Trying to convince myself this is good & yummy.... and the fact that I two-and-a-half hours later, I was hungry again... is a challenge. Even the tuna was plain today (straight out of the can), although I do like a little bit of mayo or Miracle whip when I have it.
    -

Then why did you choose to eat a salad? Forget about the salads and make a nice tuna sandwich on whole grain bread with chopped celery and baby spinach.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    WE CAN DO SPOILER CODE?!?!?! YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

Daniels_DJ_Snake_Lil_Jon_Turn_Down_for_What4-224x135.png
  • Chandler330
    Chandler330 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    my salad would have steak on it, mixed greens, tomatoes, sliced green apple, some avocado, some parmesian cheese and a homemade dressing of blended orange with cashews and coconut.

Do you have a recipe for that dressing? It sounds wicked yummy.

I'd swap out the lettuce for spinach. Maybe add some black olives, green peppers, cucumber, black beans, jalapenos, and carrots. Adding a low cal dressing or even a reasonable amount of regular dressing for flavor can go a long way in turning a blah salad into something you might crave. I usually don't go for dressings since I'm not a fan, but I love adding dijon mustard to my veggie subs and at 5 calories a teaspoon I feel like it's well worth it.

If you really want a bagel then go for a bagel next time and maybe toast it and add the tuna to it and some of your veg to make a sandwich. Conserve calories later in the day if you need to but I think depriving yourself instead of occasionally indulging in a conscientious manner will make sticking to a routine more difficult in the long run.
  • draco25000
    draco25000 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You could have a decent sandwich for the same amount of calories and actually be happy about it so...
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stick up for the much maligned iceburg lettuce. It's actually a decent source of calcium, potassium and vitamin K. No, it doesn't beat other lettuce varieties, but it's not by any means nutritionally void!

Besides, without iceburg, how could one do this?

astydtm8oi0d.jpg
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I don't mind iceberg lettuce either- although I don't eat a lot of lettuce anyway.

Bottom line though - if OP doesn't like that sort of lunch she needs to swap it for something she does like.
    Yes, sticking to calorie goal of course - but not forcing yourself to eat things you hate.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stick up for the much maligned iceburg lettuce. It's actually a decent source of calcium, potassium and vitamin K. No, it doesn't beat other lettuce varieties, but it's not by any means nutritionally void!

Besides, without iceburg, how could one do this?

astydtm8oi0d.jpg

Yes! I thought I was the only one who liked iceberg lettuce!

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/12/from-aruba-on-an-iceberg-wedge/

If you're not a big fan of raw veg, but want to get some in your lunch, why not try cooked? I sometimes make a whole roast butternut squash, peppers, sweet potatoes and red onions to use in salads with nuts, leaves and cheese over the course of the next few days for work.

Or I take left over curries, casseroles and stews from the night before and put in some extra frozen veg such as spinach, beans and peas. Then microwave it all up together.

I like raw veg, but munching on crunchy undressed carrots and peppers day after day would be tedious and make the bagels seem much more tempting.

You shouldn't force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy, but there are some good ideas in the link below that might make them seem more appealing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • dbmata
    Options
    Wedge salads aren't bad, but I already invoked the shrimp louis. Impossible to make sans iceberg. ;)
  • EK00001
    Options
    This looks amazing! I'd take this over the cheesiest pizza in Italy! I'm bookmarking this for future reference!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Healthy enough to me.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one who enjoys Iceburg lettuce. Yes, I realize it sucks as a food, but I have always found it extra tasty.
  • vlland
    vlland Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i understand what u mean about not liking most things that go into a salad. Im a picky eater and dont eat as many vegetables as i should. I do use iceberg lettuce because its filling and low calorie - not for the nutrients perse but i like it better than the more "flavorful" other greens. U do need to add something to flavor it up however. I hate all salad dressings myself - but i do sprinkle on dry italian seasoning dressing mix (a trick i learned in a restaurant i worked at). I also use fat free shredded cheddar cheese ( a little more flavor and color) and what other veggies i like (tomatoes, onions). I also add flavorful chicken. the kind i like on its own is not low calorie but its so flavorful u only need a little (cut up into small pieces) to give the salad alot of flavor. My favorite is Great Value brand barbque seasoned boneless chicken "wyngz". if u can find something flavorful that u like ur salad can be yummy and low calorie :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    dried salad dressing mix. Interesting, I never thought of that.
  • ceilidhachaos
    ceilidhachaos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your croutons.. ack! 60 precious calories.. for those? Not filling! For those same 60 calories you can have a healthy Joseph's pita & stuff that with the salad & tuna!. Indeed, spinach would be best for you, but the the greener the better, so at least romaine? I found I can get rid of mayo in tuna salad all-together by using kens light sweet vidalia onion dressing & dill pickle juice with chopped onion, celery, pickle; dill, caraway & celery seeds, etc.. The more you put in the more you get to eat!. Yummy! Hope this helps. :)